This just in: we're obsolete

Alorael at Large

Message boards are relics of the past.

To some extent, the urge to chatter is quite easily satisfied on Facebook, or in comment threads. But old communities also tend to die and new ones tend to come into existence. Is the total number of active forums smaller or larger? Is the total number of people visiting forums greater or lesser? That's difficult to assess, and that article doesn't really do it.

I also think there's a major category that hasn't gone away and isn't likely to: boards like this one. If you want to provide help and discussion of specific problems or specific products, and if new stuff for discussion is provided regularly, forums are probably more wieldy tools than the tag cloud. And where you have forums, you have discussion that creates all the crazy emergent community identities and monuments that will, years later, be chronicled by the Slarties of the world.

—Alorael, who really would love to see a graph of forum numbers and forum users. He's not at all sure the former has gone down; big, old sites die just like all sites, and new ones are created all the time. The internet runs on the best and newest! As for number of people, well, he doesn't see a population crash coming anytime soon.

We're retro and technologically behind the time? This is such shocking news for the users of Spiderweb Software!

Interesting article, though. Social networking has seemed to be growing faster than forums, what with Facebook, Twitter, now Google+, and all the others. It's good to know that, between the unique community we've developed, and the steady stream of games to keep the content on these fora recent, we've got some security.

For me, social networks and message boards serve different purposes. I use social networks to discuss a variety of topics with people I already know in meatspace. I use message boards to discuss specific topics with people across the globe.

Social networks don't have the same emergent community as message boards do, but then again, the point of social networks are to model existing communities, not create new ones.

One trend I am seeing is the use of Google/Facebook/whatever accounts for logging into third-party sites (usually comment threads). I wouldn't be surprised to see message board software five years down the road have more integration with social networks. When that day comes, I guess I'm making a second Facebook account.

Truthfully, I think message boards have been out of date in a mainstream sense for years now, ever since the "shout into the void what was on your sandwich" model of communication apparently won out over the "discuss common ground within a community".

Or you can just argue that "common ground" became "inane garbage" and "a community" became "everyone who ever has or will exist". Either way, I still prefer this model, even if I don't come around as much as I used to.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Truthfully, I think message boards have been out of date in a mainstream sense for years now, ever since the "shout into the void what was on your sandwich" model of communication apparently won out over the "discuss common ground within a community".

Or you can just argue that "common ground" became "inane garbage" and "a community" became "everyone who ever has or will exist". Either way, I still prefer this model, even if I don't come around as much as I used to.

Message boards were full of sandwiches and other inane garbage before the next-gen social networks, and plenty of conversations even on these enlightened boards are pretty stupid. I think it's the nature of humans to babble about inanities. It satisfies something deep within us, and I'm sure the psychologists and sociologists and linguists and psycholinguists and psychosociologists and sociolinguists and sociopsycholinguists have already worked on analyzing that fact extensively.

—Alorael, who draws a distinction between an asocial network, which really isn't a network, and an antisocial network, which rapidly ceases to be a network in horrifying ways.

Originally Posted By: Megalopolis 2011
Message boards were full of sandwiches and other inane garbage before the next-gen social networks, and plenty of conversations even on these enlightened boards are pretty stupid. I think it's the nature of humans to babble about inanities. It satisfies something deep within us, and I'm sure the psychologists and sociologists and linguists and psycholinguists and psychosociologists and sociolinguists and sociopsycholinguists have already worked on analyzing that fact extensively.

Ah yes, but my point was that at least here there's a tendency to discuss some of the same types of sandwiches. And over time, a community is more likely to emerge, built upon our common sandwich preferences.