Zombies! - an AIMHack

Lazarus.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Lazarus.
Yeah, level up. Remember that you get a new feat this time.

Also I have chat log that needs uploading.

Beam sylae@calref.co.cc and I'll upload it for ya.

also,

Click to reveal..

Name: William Laurence
Alignment: Neutral
Level: 3

Feats
*Weapon Proficiency (Rifles, Single Shot): No -4 HIT penalty when using rifles and sniper rifles
*Dead Eye: +2 HIT on called shots

Core Attributes:
*Strength (STR): 2
*Dexterity (DEXT): 2
*Perception (PE): 4
*Intelligence (INT): 3

Derived Stats:
*Hit Points: 14/14/14
*Armor Class: 12
*Movement Speed: 4

Skills:
*Driving (NA): 4
*Forestry (INT): 2
*Gun Knowledge (INT): 4
*Sneak (DEX): 2
*Tactics (INT): 3
*Search (PE): 2

Inventory:

*Ruger M77 bolt-action hunting rifle (5dmg, +1 HIT, 5 bullet capacity)
*Ammo belt with no rifle ammo
*Pocket knife (2dmg)
*Ceramic rod (for sharpening)
*Magnesium firestarter
*Shirt
*Pants
*Coat
*Two packages ramen (chicken)
*Four packages jerky
*Several large cans of baked beans
*Several cans of tomato sauce.
*Whip
*Armful of soap (in fire truck)
*Road maps of OK, TX, AK, MO, KS, CO, NM

Originally Posted By: It's a trap
Edit Reason: also, does anyone know what the food situation is? I haven't touched the stuff in my inventory, I assume it's been eaten?

I forget the details, but the party acquired a bunch of food at that rest stop before you arrived. There was enough to last two or three days, I think.

Yay, level! Time for some more Perception!

Click to reveal.. (Devin McCloud, L3)
DEVIN McCLOUD

Former Occupation: Rookie Police Officer

Home: Amarillo, Texas

Physical Description: Male, Slight Build, 6'1'', Brown Hair, Green Eyes. Dressed in plain clothes, wearing mirror shades.

BASE ATTRIBUTES

LVL - 3

STR - 3 | HP - 16/16/16 (HP/Max HP/Full HP)

DEX - 2 | AC - 12

PER - 4 | SPD - 4 [+1PER]

INT - 2 | XP - 00/17

NCO SKILLS

----Athletics - 2 [+1]

------Driving - 3 [+1]

----First Aid - 1

Gun Knowledge - 2

--Observation - 4 [+1]

-------Search - 2

-------Sneak - 1

--Speechcraft - 2

FEATS

Weapon Proficiency (Small Arms)

No -4 HIT penalty when using pistols and submachine guns

Dead Eye

+2 HIT on Called Shots.

WEAPON SKILLS

------Unarmed - +2 | -Small Arms - +5

--------Melee - -1 | Dual S.Arms - +3/+1

Dual Melee - -3/-5 | -----Rifles - +0

-----2H Melee - +0 | -Automatics - +0

-------Thrown - +2 | ---Shotguns - +0

INEVNTORY

Click to reveal.. (INVENTORY)
WORN (Or in Pockets/Holsters/Etc.)

•Plain Clothes

•SIG P226 Service Pistol (3Dmg, Clip 1+10/10)

•Fire Axe (3Dmg Slashing)

•Pistol Holster

•Mirror Shades

•Amarillo Police Department Badge

•Handheld CB Radio

•Sedan Keys

•Keys to an Empty Semi-Truck

DUFFEL BAG

•Police-Issue Heavy Flashlight (2Dmg, Wide-Beam Illumination, 4 D-Cell Batteries)

•4 Dead D-Cell Batteries

•Various Assorted Batteries

•Penlight

•Pink Furry Metal Handcuffs w/ Key

•Amarillo Police Uniform

•Lighter

•Oklahoma Road Map

SEDAN

•2 5-Gallon Cans full of Gasoline

•Air Freshener

•Small Box of Laundry Detergent

VEHICLE

Plain Sedan

Fuel: 75% (Gasoline, Unknown Efficiency)

Notable Stats: ?

Special: None

Damage: None

BACKSTORY

Click to reveal.. (BACKSTORY)
"They're not coming back."

Officer McCloud had startled himself by saying that. For the past month, he and five other Amarillo deputies had been holed up in a small run-down house outside city limits. As far as they had known, they were the last of Amarillo's police force; the rest had been killed by either the zombies or the bottom-feeding scum that had followed them.

Of course, over the past month, that number had been dwindling. One had been turned into a zombie. Another had been shot by an overly-jumpy bystander. And the third... well, the third just vanished. And he suspected that the only reason he had survived was because the others had refused to take him on outings for supplies; they had told him it was because they needed something to hold down the fort, but it was easy to see the truth: They didn't want to be weighed down by a rookie who's first day on the job got interrupted by those shambling monstrosities.

Honestly, he didn't mind. Zombies, roving gangs of thieves and thugs... he hadn't signed up for this kind of damage. But he was getting nervous; both remaining officers had taken a good number of their supplies to try and make a run for food and ammo. They had been gone for four days, and still showed no sign of returning, and food was running dangerously low.

McCloud sighed. He did not want to run, but Amarillo was getting too dangerous, especially for a lone rookie still dressed in uniform. Gathering his supplies, he glanced out a small gap in the boarded-up windows. The field around the house was clear, for now. Deciding it was now or never, Officer McCloud removed the barricades from the door and bolted for Interstate 40, heading east out of Amarillo.

...Whew. That's getting big.

==========

Anyway, we should probably plan our next move. First off, considering how badly wounded Erving is, I suggest we consider just staying put for a day to give his leg additional time to heal. We've got plenty of food at the rest stop, so it's not like we're risking anything sitting tight for a day, and having someone up and able to contribute is better than having someone be dead weight.

Assuming we're heading for Norfolk, our best bet is probably to stay on the I-40 and take it as far east as possible. And even if we aren't, we don't have any reason to get off the interstate (unless someone else has thought of something that doesn't include the words "oil rig").

Also, there's something I'm starting to wonder about our tactics; thusfar, we've been having difficulty whenever we try to scavenge from or enter a city. No surprises, after all, there's zombies. But here's what I'm thinking: Right now, zombies tend to spot us either by hearing us or by seeing us. Which brings me to my point: if they're using vision to find us, why make a scavenging run in broad daylight, when we're most easily spotted? Why not wait until dark to try it? Obviously, we don't want to try and find a safe house in an unknown city after dark, and we'd probably want to do a bit of scouting on the outskirts of the city before trying anything (we need some binoculars), but for just simple scavenging runs, it might make more sense to do it at night when the zombies are less likely to see us (And also use melee to keep noise down). Thoughts?

On another note, right now, we've got a good amount of food and fuel, but ammo is running dangerously tight. We've got four magazines of Small Cal ammo between us and two shotgun shells; that'll last us one fight, maybe two if we're lucky. If it was just zombies, we could simply resort to melee, but seeing as we also know there are raiders in the area, we could potentially have a very big problem on our hands if we're caught in a firefight. In short, we need ammo.

I propose we do one of the following:

1) Send a small team back into Oklahoma City: Odds are, there's got to be police precincts, shopping malls, sporting goods stores, or something that we could salvage ammo from. We could do this by sending a small team on foot into the city (they'd take the sedan to get there; that'd also be a good test of its gas mileage) to scavenge, utilizing melee only to dispatch any zombies they come across. The four we picked up already demonstrated that a small group could navigate the city without drawing every zombie out of the woodwork (they got screwed because they got into a firefight). If we decide to wait and let Erving rest and heal, we could do this while he's resting back at the rest stop, and with a little luck, the team would be back for dinner and ready to go the next morning.

2) Scavenge one of the smaller cities to the east: If we continue east on the I40, we'll wind up passing one city, Henryetta, and going through another named Sallisaw. If we don't want to risk Oklahoma City, we can instead stop at one of these two cities and see if we can locate ammunition there.

Okay, I think this post is getting a bit long. Any thoughts, or anyone else have something to add?

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Also, there's something I'm starting to wonder about our tactics; thusfar, we've been having difficulty whenever we try to scavenge from or enter a city. No surprises, after all, there's zombies. But here's what I'm thinking: Right now, zombies tend to spot us either by hearing us or by seeing us. Which brings me to my point: if they're using vision to find us, why make a scavenging run in broad daylight, when we're most easily spotted? Why not wait until dark to try it? Obviously, we don't want to try and find a safe house in an unknown city after dark, and we'd probably want to do a bit of scouting on the outskirts of the city before trying anything (we need some binoculars), but for just simple scavenging runs, it might make more sense to do it at night when the zombies are less likely to see us (And also use melee to keep noise down). Thoughts?

Wait, you're seriously suggesting that we attempt to navigate the zombie-infested city at night with no special equipment and slightly over three dozen rounds of small arms ammo?

dude have you ever even seen a zombie movie

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Nioca

Wait, you're seriously suggesting that we attempt to navigate the zombie-infested city at night with no special equipment and slightly over three dozen rounds of small arms ammo?

Perhaps not a massive city like Oklahoma City, but I think it'd work in a smaller city or town. Also, I'm talking about fast hit-and-runs here, not drawn-out wandering; fact is, the last two times we've been in a city, we wound up drawing out a horde of undead after our flesh in record time.

Come to think of it, though, I could be totally off-base here. I'm making assumptions about their sensory perception here that could wind up inaccurate... It'd be helpful if we could figure out how exactly they perceive the world and how they identify their prey from fellow zombies. I still think the idea has merit, but if we were to try it, it'd probably be best to try it in a village or very small town like McLean.

Quote:
dude have you ever even seen a zombie movie
Nope. I'm new to this.

Near the end I said that you had about 5 days worth of food, which is mostly the canned goods and pasta you found. Most of you are carrying around jerky or other snack food, I guess we can just assume that you eat that stuff during the day whenever you're hungry (for example we've yet to actually stop for lunch or anything.)

Edit: Log 2 is also up courtesy of dueck.

Originally Posted By: Shelagh
Oh hey, so it turns out I didn't miss that much this week. That's nice. Also, it seems Kyle took my "knowing about medicine" thing as sarcasm, even though Caitlin totally temped in a hospital. How else did she know we had a bag of saline and a bag of plasma?

THANK YOU! I'm glad somebody read that line the way I meant it.

Level:

Click to reveal..

Name: Kyle Reid

Alignment: Pragmatic

Strength: 1

Dexterity: 4

Perception: 2

Intelligence: 4

HP: 11 / 11 / 12

AC: 14

Speed: 5

Athletics: 4

Driving: 1

First Aid: 6

Observation: 2

Search: 3

Sneak: 2

Feats:

Foolhardy: +2 to will saves, +4 Intimidation when you are at an obvious disadvantage

Steady Hands: Failed first aid rolls do not deal damage.

Also, I'm going to be on the road after this Friday and wont be back until 9 days later. I should still be able to get internet access in the evenings, but not on Tuesday and Wednesday. I may be late if we have another session that week though.

So I'll also be heading of on a trip this week and will only have interminnent Internet connection in the evenings. So is there any word on when the next session would be? Because Monday (aka tomorrow) would really be the best day for about a week for me, though that's probably way too soon for most other people...

I want to make a joke, but it's too early.

I'll level up instead.

Click to reveal..

Name: Caitlin Youngs

STR 2

DEXT 4 (+1)

PE 2

INT 3

HP: ??/??/14

MS: 5

Skills:

Athletics: 4 (+1)

Observation: 3 (+1)

Sneak: 3

Tactics: 3

Speechcraft: 2 (+1)

Deception: 2 (+5 from perk)

Feats:

Compulsive Liar: +5 Deception, cannot use Negotiation or Intimidation

Weapon Proficiency (Melee): No -4 HIT penalty when using melee weapons

(I know I got injured, but can't remember if I went back to full HP)

Sorry guys I've been sort of freaking out about the fact that I'm moving to a new city in two days, and until yesterday didn't have a plane ticket or a place to stay. But next week I'm going to find a time to do this.

I have orientation next week but I think on most days I'm done by 6 EST, I'll know more about my schedule soon. If not then there's always Saturday, so post when you're available next week.

OK well Thursday would actually have been the best day for me. They've got a bunch of get-togethers and stuff planned for the week, so I guess I'm expected to be social or whatever. I could do something Sunday afternoon, hopefully not too late so I don't show up like a zombie for the first day of class.

If that doesn't work we might be looking at next week unfortunately. Maybe I'm being naive thinking I won't get any assignments since its the first week.

Hmmm I could go today, but Nikki's already out and its sort of short notice for the others.

I have my schedule for the semester, and I pretty much have Tuesdays and Thursdays off, so MWF at night or TR during the day work for me. Any of those sound good for this week for you guys? We could go tomorrow at like 7est if you'd like.

Edit: Well if dueck shows up maybe we can go today. If we start at like 5EST then Nikki could catch the second half if he's not too tired after work.

OK well I'll be hanging out in SWZombies at 5EST, hopefully everyone gets the memo and shows up. To those lurkers reading this, we'll need a Caitlin sub for at least a couple hours and possibly the whole session.

Also in the interest of full disclosure I should tell you that I have absolutely no plans for this session, which may be a good thing or a bad thing.

level!

Click to reveal..
Name: William Laurence

Alignment: Hick

Level: 4

Feats

*Weapon Proficiency (Rifles, Single Shot): No -4 HIT penalty when using rifles and sniper rifles

*Dead Eye: +2 HIT on called shots

Core Attributes:

*Strength (STR): 2

*Dexterity (DEXT): 3

*Perception (PE): 4

*Intelligence (INT): 3

Derived Stats:

*Hit Points: 14/14/14

*Armor Class: 15

*Movement Speed: 4.5

Skills:

*Driving (NA): 5

*Forestry (INT): 2

*Gun Knowledge (INT): 4

*Sneak (DEX): 2

*Tactics (INT): 4

*Search (PE): 3

Inventory:

*Ruger M77 bolt-action hunting rifle (5dmg, +1 HIT, 5 bullet capacity, loaded)

*Ammo belt with 13 rifle ammo

*Pocket knife (2dmg)

*Ceramic rod (for sharpening)

*Magnesium firestarter

*Shirt

*Pants

*Coat

*Two packages ramen (chicken)

*Four packages jerky

*Several large cans of baked beans

*Several cans of tomato sauce.

*Whip

*Armful of soap (in fire truck)

*Road maps of OK, TX, AK, MO, KS, CO, NM

*Pipe (for smoking)

Click to reveal.. (Kyle Reid, level 4)
Name: Kyle Reid
Alignment: Shotgun/Katana wielding Pragmatic

Level: 4
Strength: 1
Dexterity: 4
Perception: 2
Intelligence: 5

HP: 10 / 10 / 12
Speed: 5

Athletics: 4
First Aid: 7
Observation: 2
Search: 3
Sneak: 4
Intimidation: 1

Feats:
Foolhardy: +2 to will saves, +4 Intimidation when you are at an obvious disadvantage
Steady Hands: Failed first aid rolls do no damage.

Also, that katana really needs to go to someone who can use it. Kyle only has 1 point in strength and no weapon proficiency.

Ideally, Caitlin should get it since it's probably the best melee weapon we've found so far, but she expressed no interest when Kyle offered it to her. Neither Kyle nor Clyve can use it effectively (both get -3 in melee), and Devin already has a fire axe. Alright, if no one else wants it I'll give it to Laurence beginning of next session.

We survived! And we leveled! And got ammo and medical supplies!

First, Devin's level to 4:

Click to reveal.. (Devin McCloud, L4)
DEVIN McCLOUD

Former Occupation: Rookie Police Officer

Home: Amarillo, Texas

Physical Description: Male, Slight Build, 6'1'', Brown Hair, Green Eyes. Dressed in plain clothes, wearing mirror shades.

BASE ATTRIBUTES

LVL - 4

STR - 3 | HP - 16/16/16 (HP/Max HP/Full HP)

DEX - 2 | AC - 12

PER - 5 | SPD - 4 [+1PER]

INT - 2 | XP - 00/20

NCO SKILLS

----Athletics - 2

------Driving - 3

----First Aid - 2 [+1]

Gun Knowledge - 3 [+1]

--Observation - 4

-------Search - 3 [+1]

--------Sneak - 1

--Speechcraft - 2

FEATS

Weapon Proficiency (Small Arms)

No -4 HIT penalty when using pistols and submachine guns

Dead Eye

+2 HIT on Called Shots.

WEAPON SKILLS

------Unarmed - +3 | -Small Arms - +6

--------Melee - -1 | Dual S.Arms - +4/+2

Dual Melee - -3/-5 | -----Rifles - +1

-----2H Melee - +0 | -Automatics - +1

-------Thrown - +2 | ---Shotguns - -2

---------Bows - -1 | --Crossbows - +1

And now, Inventory time. Since we're between sessions and didn't end in immediate peril, I'm moving some stuff around between Devin, his duffel bag, and the sedan, to wherever it's more reasonable or practical. So without further ado, on his person and in his duffel bag, Devin has:

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
WORN/EQUIPPED/POCKETED

-P226 Service Pistol (3DMG 10CLP) [small Arm: 10 Small Caliber Rounds Loaded]

-Revolver (4DMG 6CLP FRload) [small Arm: 6 Small Caliber Rounds Loaded]

-33 Small Caliber Rounds

-Bullet-Proof Vest (Piercing DR 2/AP)

-Plain Clothes

-Pistol Holster

-Mirror Shades

-Amarillo Police Department Badge

-Handheld CB Radio

-Lighter

-Sedan Keys

-Duffel Bag (Pack)

DUFFEL BAG

-Fire Axe (3DMG Slashing) [Melee]

-Police-Issue Flashlight (2DMG Blunt, Strong Beam Illumination) [Melee]

-Submachine Gun (6DMG 4BRST 20CLP) [small Arm: Empty of Small Caliber Rounds]

-Pink Furry Metal Handcuffs w/ Key

-Amarillo Police Uniform

-Flask of Alcohol

-4 Dead D-Cell Batteries

And in addition to THAT, we also have the Sedan and what's contained within. FYI, any stuff that's stored in the sedan is effectively fair game for the party; I only ask that you guys leave the bows and arrows alone until we know more about them.

Click to reveal.. (Vehicle Stats and Contents)
SEDAN

Fuel: 66% Full (Gasoline) [Estimated]

DAMAGE

Rear window destroyed; Firearm damage on passenger-side doors.

OCCUPANTS

Devin (Driver); Caitlin; Clyve.

CONTENTS

-2x Full 5-Gallon Gas Cans

-Air Freshener

-Pawn Shop Safe (Unopened)

-2 Bottles of Shampoo

-2 Compound Bows (-2HIT 5DMG) [bows: Uses Arrows]

-Crossbow (5DMG FRload) [bows: Uses Arrows]

-20 Arrows [Armor-Piercing]

-Semi-Auto Pistol x5 (3DMG 10CLP) [small Arm: Empty of Small Caliber Rounds]

-Various Assorted Batteries

-Oklahoma Road Map

-Penlight (Weak Beam Illumination)

-Small Box of Laundry Detergent

Phew.

I've also got some questions.

First off, regarding the crossbow:

-What kind of crossbow is it? Standard, repeating (as in semi-automatic), pistol?

-What kind of weapon skill does it require? Small Arms, Single-Shot Rifles, a separate Crossbows category?

-What kind of stats does it have, in terms of damage and accuracy (and if repeating, clip size)?

-If a standard crossbow, how would reloading work? Would you have to take a reload action each round?

-Does it use arrows just like a bow, or does it use its own bolts/quarrels?

Second, regarding the bows:

-I'm guessing this would fall into its own skill. What would be the criteria for it? Flat perception?

-Would it be possible to craft new arrows? Obviously, anything crafted on the run would be inferior to quality arrows, but it should still work for short-range combat.

And finally, regarding some of the other new stuff Devin picked up:

-What's the clip size on an SMG and revolver?

-What protection does the Bullet-Proof Vest offer?

-What's in the flask Devin picked up?

-How much shampoo did Devin pick up at the store?

-----

Finally, as for next session: any day works, so long as it doesn't conflict with another campaign (though that should be clearing up quite a bit, soon, what with Mistb0rn returning and EoD approaching its end). So the only days that are off are Tuesday the 23rd (tomorrow) and Thursday, September 1st.

The crossbow/bow:

Bows/crossbows use their own proficiency. Crossbows are governed by PE, and bows by (PE + DXT)/2. They do 5dmg, and arrows are considered AP. Both weapons use the same arrows. Both must be reloaded every turn, but the crossbow reload is a full round action while the bow is the typical move action. However, the bow is more difficult to use reflected by a -2HIT as well as requiring higher STR to use (HIT penalty for STR below 3.) If an arrow hits flesh, it can be recovered and reused. Missed arrows may get lost, or hit concrete or metal which would break them. I don't know about constructing your own arrows, if you can come up with a reasonable idea + tools then it may be possible.

The bulletproof jacket:

Offers no AC bonus, but gives 2/AP piercing protection. Does not protect against called shots to limbs or head.

The SMG has a 20 round clip. The revolver holds 6 rounds, and reloading it is a full round action. (The Slight of Hand feat reduces full round reloads to move reloads, this applies to the revolver and crossbow.)

The flask contained alcohol.

As to shampoo, a bottle or two I guess? You guys haven't even taken a shower since we started. tongue