E3 2011

Dantius

Originally Posted By: Dantius
This might be too "mainstream" for some people here, but I thought it might be cool to have a place to discuss things as they evolve over the next couple of days at E3.

My only comment of note so far is that the trailer for The Old Republic looks pretty incredibly sweet. I mean, seriously.

Agreed, and it actually looks like Star Wars, which is awesome. No gameplay, though. I'm not sure when the trend of showing expensive cinematics over gameplay became the norm, but it's hard to get hyped for something when I don't even know if it looks fun or not.

As for the game, I'm not a fan of MMOs, and I doubt anything could convince me to play this game if monthly fees or micro-transactions are involved. Even if Bioware proves that MMOs can be a vehicle for an enriching experience, the aforementioned problem - among other things - really ties my hands here. It's a shame, because I loved the first KotOR and I'm still planning on playing the second as soon as I find the time to isolate myself from the world for a few days.

This might be too "mainstream" for some people here, but I thought it might be cool to have a place to discuss things as they evolve over the next couple of days at E3.

My only comment of note so far is that the trailer for The Old Republic looks pretty incredibly sweet. I mean, seriously.

Agreed, it looks like something I could sink time and money on, but, ultimately I doubt I will. I'm going to follow this pretty closely, so we'll see what else comes from it.

They're running out of places to raise the bar in Star Wars movies and cutscenes. Now we've got a kill stroke deflected by a thrown lightsabre, followed by someone dual wielding single-bladed and double-bladed lightsabres. Triple wielding? Whatever. I'm most excited about the hat. There's a dearth of good looking hats in the Star Wars universe.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
They're running out of places to raise the bar in Star Wars movies and cutscenes. Now we've got a kill stroke deflected by a thrown lightsabre, followed by someone dual wielding single-bladed and double-bladed lightsabres. Triple wielding? Whatever. I'm most excited about the hat. There's a dearth of good looking hats in the Star Wars universe.

evidently Bioware have learned from Valve that hats sell games

Originally Posted By: Lilith

evidently Bioware have learned from Valve that hats sell games
Bioware's already doing this. You can get outfit DLCs for Mass Effect 2. Because it's not enough to merely save the galaxy; you have to look snazzy while doing so.

The DLC armor packs for the second Mass Effect had less to do with style and everything to do with being essentially game-breakingly powerful god mode items that you pay actual money for instead of entering a cheat. For instance, the Geth Plasma Shotgun totally wrecks the game balance for the first half of the game and the Kestral armor gives massive bonuses to just about every stat that's useful but difficult to get bonuses for. I don't even understand why you would go to all that trouble to balance a game and the just break it again with DLC.

The DLC armor packs for the second Mass Effect had less to do with style and everything to do with being essentially game-breakingly powerful god mode items that you pay actual money for instead of entering a cheat.

Uh, the Alternate Skin packs DLC was cosmetic, nothing more. Nobody's forcing you to buy any of it anyways...

Originally Posted By: Venom
The DLC armor packs for the second Mass Effect had less to do with style and everything to do with being essentially game-breakingly powerful god mode items that you pay actual money for instead of entering a cheat.

Uh, the Alternate Skin packs DLC was cosmetic, nothing more. Nobody's forcing you to buy any of it anyways...

Contrary to popular belief, someone is forcing me to buy it. He broke into my home last weekend. I'm pretty sure he's holding a gun under his jacket. Yesterday we went to see several terrible movies, and tomorrow he says I have to buy an extended warranty. I asked him what the warranty is for and he just. . . just growled, like a wolf driven mad by hunger. The police won't help me because they think I'm employing a figure of speech.

Please help me. My credit card is nearly maxed out and I do not know what this man is capable of.

Sarachim, Sarachim, Sarachim. I thought I made it clear that you weren't allowed online until you bought every Stephenie Meyer novel. I was clear, wasn't I? Ah well. Looks like you'll have to buy the movies too now.

Speaking of Mass Effect, looks like there's a new trailer out for ME3. MaleShep appears to be wielding a laser sword for some of the scenes. Also, he's likely to be spending much of his time in this game fighting giant robots. Which raises the question: has the Mass Effect series been leading up to a sci-fi remake of Shadows of the Colossus?

Obviously you've never watched Star Trek...

Originally Posted By: Sarachin
Contrary to popular belief, someone is forcing me to buy it. He broke into my home last weekend. I'm pretty sure he's holding a gun under his jacket. Yesterday we went to see several terrible movies, and tomorrow he says I have to buy an extended warranty. I asked him what the warranty is for and he just. . . just growled, like a wolf driven mad by hunger. The police won't help me because they think I'm employing a figure of speech.

Please help me. My credit card is nearly maxed out and I do not know what this man is capable of.

Oh, my mistake. I hope you can find someone who will help you with your..., problem.

I'd be surprised if developers put more than a token effort into balancing DLC for single-player games. The people who buy DLC probably don't care too much about game balance.

as ridiculous as Mass Effect 2's DLC equipment was, the actual DLC missions were pretty good

except for Arrival which felt a little too much like an extended advertisement for Mass Effect 3

The new Mass Effect trailers didn't really do much for me either way, though I am confused as to how a holographic interface for a wrist-mounted personal computer is suddenly able to stab through armor and kill people now...

well, pretty much every technology in the Mass Effect universe is based on what are effectively telekinetic fields, soooo