Polls re Editor Features

Jerakeen

I would like some feedback from the community on whether it's worth adding custom items to my editor . This would require players to download and install an extra file in order to get the editor to work.

Some ideas that I have include items that boost action points passively, improved javelins and razordisks, and scarabs that give you access to different abilities (draining wave is a current favourite). I'm open to suggestions.

I haven't used the editor, and would not use it to simply buff my characters (is this the point, btw?). I would, however, consider using a CE that added variety and/or fixed broken abilities like Daze/Charm - admittedly, this would be buffing sorc, but buff to make something work if fine with me.

I'm not through the game (lvl 25), but more items would make sense to me if they aren't simply better, but different.

EDIT: Added my vote. I cannot see the problem with how the installation is performed, so go ahead and add another file - can't be that hard, can it?

No, not that hard. And I'm mainly leaning toward things that I see as lacking in the game. An example being that there's a Wizard's Bow, but no Shaman's Javelin of equivalent level. Likewise the best razordisk is still 3 levels below the best bow.

And it seems that you can use scarabs to grant any ability in the game, which opens the door to some interesting possibilities. Some are more useful than others, of course, and I'm most interested in the ones that aren't just another "do x amount of fire/ice/poison/magic damage".

I noticed there's lot of runestones you find in the game, maybe more you can possibly use; also there's no chance to use the forge with bracelets, bows, razordisks, pendant and rings. I suggest to make this possible, characters shall be more efficient without change any item's feature.

Runestone Enhancement

To allow items to be enhanced using runestones on the forge, add the following line in the appropriate section of the avitemschars.txt file:

it_can_augment = 1;

Note:

Until one of the following lines are encountered below that entry:

import = 0;//or any other numerical value

OR

it_can_augment = 0;

ALL of the items that follow can be enhanced.

Cheers,

Razid

I'd be careful with that edit. Some of the enhancements may not have the expected effect if you put them on a piece of equipment that Jeff did not program the game to be able to enhance. It may also be possible to break things that way -- definitely text placement in dialogue boxes, and hopefully nothing else, but who knows.

@CRISIS...

I have tested this with most items that can be equipped and found no problem so far - not to say that there couldn't be. smile

Since any change to the standard scripts are capable of creating problems, keeping backups of the original scripts is vital. I usually just rename them: originalscript-O.txt and keep them in the Avadon Scripts directory, just in case there is a problem.

That is far beyond the scope of a skill editor. That would require adding huge amounts of additional graphics and coding in which graphics correspond to which items. It would require Jeff to spend large sums of additional money for graphics that don't actually affect gameplay. I enjoy it in games where it is present, but I'd rather not force Jeff to double his graphics cost (and also his selling price) just for additional graphics.

Originally Posted By: Necron99
"Sorry, that's against company policy" would have been equally worthless, but much easier to say cool

Are you saying that my comment was worthless? It may not have been what you wanted to hear, but it was a valid and thus valuable response to your comment above it.

I thought it was a pertinent comment. Which I appreciated.

Anyway, the votes are in, and there's a clear majority. I've been tinkering with the items and I should have something ready for release in a few days. I'll probably retain a link to the old editor for those who prefer the single file format.

Good idea.

Here's a little teaser:

gearj.jpg

You'll have to wait and see what they do...though I will say that I've tried to address the uselessness of Charm and other mental attacks.

I'm planning to create and test a few more items before releasing this version.