Game Length?

NakedLunch

Hi!

First of all, for some strange reason I've never played a Spiderweb RPG before. I tried the demo for Avadon just recently and quite enjoyed it. Now I'm considering buying the full version.

I was just wondering how long the game is. If I mainly concentrate on the main plot and do some occasional side quests, how long will it approximately take me to beat the game on the normal difficulty setting?

Thanks! smile

About 20-30 hours to do just the main required quests. There are plenty of places to explore for side quest and you will need most of that experience to do the boss quests. At least on the hardest difficulties, if you do normal or casual then you can get by with a lower level party.

Yeah, I can't recommend skipping any side quests that aren't the same quest with 2 different people to turn them into. Also, don't be like me and never find the caretaker guy in Zethron's Aerie. Missed out on like, 3 pretty decent quests that would have made some mid-game stuff a bit easier.

Also, the game really does ratchet up the difficulty of Bosses and even Quest "Bosses" quite a bit as you approach the end of the storyline. Getting your levels up and figuring out good builds (and using the Retraining gal liberally, she works for free) is pretty essential to not burning thru half your consumables on one tough fight only to face 3 more fights just like it before you can rest.

Of course, I did all this on Hard difficulty; your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted By: NakedLunch
Hi!

First of all, for some strange reason I've never played a Spiderweb RPG before. I tried the demo for Avadon just recently and quite enjoyed it. Now I'm considering buying the full version.

I was just wondering how long the game is. If I mainly concentrate on the main plot and do some occasional side quests, how long will it approximately take me to beat the game on the normal difficulty setting?

Thanks! smile

It would probably take you around 2-3 days if you play 10 hours a day like I do, or maybe a month if you play very little.

I played the game on Casual because I'm a noob so that might not help that much to you.

Originally Posted By: Marak
Yeah, I can't recommend skipping any side quests that aren't the same quest with 2 different people to turn them into. Also, don't be like me and never find the caretaker guy in Zethron's Aerie. Missed out on like, 3 pretty decent quests that would have made some mid-game stuff a bit easier.

First play on Normal I totally missed the caretaker too, and the Ahmed's Libram quest secret switch as well, because in game "nobody" hints you about it.
I understood the switch was there only by reading the posts, so I missed quite a portion of the Normal game and as you say some useful stuff.

My advise to newbies is to frequently go back to previously explored lands and talk to the same people. This with regard to side quests.

Originally Posted By: Superba

My advise to newbies is to frequently go back to previously explored lands and talk to the same people. This with regard to side quests.

Yeah! I second that. Just recently I belatedly triggered a request from a runner in Khemeria, which was quite important, though much too late regarding my level. I burned through the opponents much too easily. So I didn't gain much on the XP-side in that quest, but it led to some further discoveries and encounters, which were connected to a part of the main quest. The Situation improved profoundly.

I think it might actually be favorable to not be like me and try to do every sidequest available. My party reached lvl 30 about 2/3 through the game, and knowing that any experience earned didn't matter made the last third definitely less enjoyable. It's actually my biggest gripe with the game, as much as I liked it otherweise.

As Avadon was my first Spiderweb game I'm very tempted to try out Jeff's other titles, the Geneforge series in particular. Hello everyone, btw! smile

About individual quests, when you complete the first main quests one of your friends might consider to flee to play an individual quest, bringing with her/him some useful items (as good weapons and armors, bracelets, potions) that you may (much) need on your way to reach and help her/him.

So, drop reasonably valuable items into the Junk Box - before - going back to Avadon from a main quest, this should spare you some regrets. Use what you need and give the items back to the pard when you find her/him. Unfortunately you can't do that with scarabs, but you can't have it all, can't you?

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I didn't mind the fact that I reached the level cap a few quests before the end of the game (near the end of Shima's loyalty quest, to be specific). Before the cap, you're getting access to new abilities right up until level 27 at the very least (assuming you're going for one of the capstone skills). And there's always retraining to allow you to play around with different build options once you're at the cap. Compare Avernum 6, where once you had access to all spells and battle disciplines (which could happen surprisingly early on), further levels just meant you were making numbers bigger.