Initial Impression

Karacan

Just a brief feedback from a long-time Spiderweb fan based on the first 8 hours of gameplay. Curse my work-life.

1) Grapics: I like the new graphics. It's crisp, clean and looks much better than any previous titles. BUT

1.1) Items are really hard to find. I had a much easier time seeing them in Geneforge/Avernum. I expect I'll get better at this as I get used to the thin pixels.

1.2) Hidden switches are a REAL pain to find.

2) Combatsystem: It feels crisp, clean, and in general I like it. Especially the fatigue(mana)-handling feels good and right to me. Need to see some more complex fights to make a call, but I like what I see so far.

3) Classes/Skilltrees: To my surprise (because I love fiddling with stats), I find this a huge and appealing improvement. However, I would like to see at least one more skill-tree per class, and a LOT more classes!

4) Groupmembers: That's one thing I find odd. First of all, half of my companions have more exp than I do. I was hoping that I would be the most powerful character in the group (or at least have a slight post-equipment advantage), but this is not the case. It feels odd, like my character is the weakest link AND the weakest personality in the party.

All in all, I like what I see and so far, I'm looking forward to Avadon 2 and a lot more character classes (and potential NPCs).

/Edit-add:

Oh, I just remembered one point of dislike.

5) The Writing: The early levels at least feel a lot more empty. In Avernum 6, new texts and descriptions where popping up at every corner and made for a thoroughly engaging game. In Avadon, the world feels a bit empty - the texts are shorter and less elaborate, and also pop up with larger intervals in between. I hope that improves in the later areas!

I've started as well, and I love the health regen system. It didn't make a game harder having to leave dungeon, run back to town, it just made it more tedious.

I don't care much for the graphics, it seems like nothing pops, everything kind of blends in and together, but it's fine.

I do wish that there were more character models, or at least colors. Probably the same issue with the graphics, especially on the shadowwalker, it's hard to make out any details in his model, just looks grey.

Originally Posted By: AaronC
I've started as well, and I love the health regen system. It didn't make a game harder having to leave dungeon, run back to town, it just made it more tedious.

Yup. Now we just need this for Vitality and we're all set.

Fortunately, Jeff apparently screwed up (to hear him tell it, anyway) and characters ended up with way more Vitality than he intended, which is almost as good as regen. Now, we just need to convince him that this is a feature, not a bug.

"Fortunately, Jeff apparently screwed up (to hear him tell it, anyway) and characters ended up with way more Vitality than he intended, which is almost as good as regen. Now, we just need to convince him that this is a feature, not a bug."

Actually, it's very close to what I wanted. What I wanted was a system that created the impression of fatigue and being worn down without ever forcing you to trot back to town. I foresee few changes in this system in Avadon 2.

- Jeff Vogel

I love the Vitality system in theory.

Now that I played a few hours more, I figure why not get rid of the Vitality potions, reduce Vitality to at least 1/3 of what it is now, and make food restore Vitality instead of health?

Food is kind of pointless right now, even though as a real adventurer, I ALWAYS have meat and bread with me. You never know when you meet a hungry wretch.

Originally Posted By: Karacan
Now that I played a few hours more, I figure why not get rid of the Vitality potions, reduce Vitality to at least 1/3 of what it is now, and make food restore Vitality instead of health?

Because having to spend energy on healing between fights is boring. You usually could just walk back to a pylon, but not having to makes the game more fun.

—Alorael, who thinks the game gets it right. Most of the time vitality isn't an issue. On the few occasions it could be, it just requires some slight rationing and a few potions. It might be interesting to make vitality work like energy in Geneforge, where you have a limited amount that recharges itself very quickly, but the current system is fine.

Weapons seem odd. Or at least weapon balance. The sword I got I think fairly early on (Emerald Saber) has so far been better than every other one handed weapon I've come across. But why use it? The shields dont seem that great, and the damage from the Rune Etched Glaive seems to greatly overpower any advantages a shield might give.

I think so far I have only run into only one other "unique" sword, and its worse in damage than the Emerald, despite being found many more hours in.

Shields become more useful later in the game when you start getting the best ones that give huge attack and defensive bonuses.

For weapons the better ones after the Emerald Saber don't appear until Castle Vebeaux. By then the sword and shield combination provide a better balance over the higher damage pole weapons since fights last more than 2 rounds. Being able to stay alive is really helpful.