Legal issue?

Lurking Eyebeast

I recently downloaded the demo of the Windows version of Avernum VI: The Blight. When I was ran the installer, I was asked to agree to a license agreement. While skimming through it, I came across a paragraph which confused me. I had seen it before, (while installing Mr Vogel's previous games) but I haven't got around to asking this until now. I was under the impression that none of his games had a time limit which prevented users from playing the demos after a certain period of time. Then I saw a paragraph in the EULA which suggested that there was a time limit - albeit an unenforced one - of 30 days. The paragraph which suggested that follows (from the EULA of Avernum III: Ruined World).

Quote:
3. Termination. This License is effective until terminated. You

may terminate this License at any time by destroying the Software

and related documentation and all copies thereof. This License

will terminate thirty (30) days after receipt of the Software, unless

the Software is registered with Spiderweb with appropriate

compensation and registration information. This License will

terminate immediately without notice from Spiderweb if you fail

to comply with any provision of this License. Upon termination

you must destroy the Software and related documentation and all

copies thereof.

I thank you in advance for your help.

My understanding is Jeff more interested in making it easier to buy his software then it is to pirate it. Also I imagine he puts it their in case another company tries to rip his software he has want he needs for a law case. I doubt he sue if you downloaded a demo of his decide it wasn't for you and just forget about it on your computer.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
There's a paragraph about the software being purchased by the U.S. government, with subparagraphs for the Department of Defense and N.A.S.A. It's in the license for BoA, and I assume it appears in the ones for other games as well.
This. Likewise, a large number of EULA make it clear that the software is not permitted for use in nuclear power plants.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Originally Posted By: Niemand
There's a paragraph about the software being purchased by the U.S. government, with subparagraphs for the Department of Defense and N.A.S.A. It's in the license for BoA, and I assume it appears in the ones for other games as well.
This. Likewise, a large number of EULA make it clear that the software is not permitted for use in nuclear power plants.

Microsoft even specified that this was due to unstable Java components :-)