A6 - Bug or not [contains spoilers]

trinko

several times I've run into combats that I only survived by getting one character to run away from. Most of the time when i go back the creatures are still there and I can fight them. but on at least 3 occasions they disappear.

1) documents under the portal quest: I was swarmed by the little demons that came from the room before the room with the scrolls. i managed to get one character out. When I came back the room was empty and I was able to get the scrolls after fighting the two guardians in the room. In this case the lack of returning monsters was good

2) came across the manburner projection supervising a demon event in the north eastern corner of avernum controlled lands. Was overwhelmed. Got one character away. came back ready for a fight, no one was there. Don't know if this hurt me in any way--lost treasure etc

3) scuttler cave for ft monastery: Went in was ambushed got one character out. came back cleaned the place up--although the ambush scuttlers were gone. Went to the fort the commander doesn't recognize that the scuttlers are gone. lost a bunch of gold

I can understand from a "realism" perspective why event 2 played out as it did. But events 1 & 3 should have left the monsters hanging around, especially in the case of event 3.

This has been around through several games. Scripted fights where creatures are spawned as you reach certain physical points or timed events disappear after you leave the zone and go far enough away. This usally means that you lose out on dropped treasure. Some spawned fights can still leave you without the loot like the banshee in Wilkie's Mine near Dharmon if the final spawn doesn't occur.

1) If you leave before a certain point under the Great Portal, then all the monsters respawn. After a certain point then they cease to spawn.

2) This fight has a frozen blade dropped by a slith demon summoner, but you can compare the items found versus Synergy's list. Some sliths in the ambush are spawned and some should always be there. It was reported that if you do this area after Solberg's battle at the Horned Gate, then this fight doesn't happen.

3) Most of the scuttlers are spawned and walls drop letting you into their nests. There is a mutant scuttler in the southeast that must be killed to finish the quest. So if you leave too early then all you get is some loot.

Re #1: Is this respawning of an entire dungeon new? For me, a tried and true Avernum technique is picking off a few monsters, retreating to lick wounds and then returning for another attempt.

Periodically, I come back for another go at the Portal Papers quest. So far, not even close. I'm already taking on Slith dungeons, so this seems unbalanced.

Jeff I think these are, except for case 2, suboptimal solutions.

For case 2 I'd expect the slith to leave and not come back so the game works reasonably there.

For case 1 i was able to complete the quest without fighting the little demon monsters. I still completed the quest because I got the papers. In this case running made the quest a lot easier. Seems strange

For case 3 the question is since I cleaned out the nest shouldn't that count? Also if they killed all but one of my party who survived only by running for his life would they really abandon their nest?

For what it's worth I'd recommend that case two under the portal should be changed to have the demons hang around--hate to fight them but more "realistic". I'd recommend that case 3 the scuttlers hang around to be killed later, they're not that smart.

Anyway great game.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit

Periodically, I come back for another go at the Portal Papers quest. So far, not even close. I'm already taking on Slith dungeons, so this seems unbalanced.

It's supposed to be a hard quest. The ice demon can be avoided if you time it right, most of the other enemies can be lured out one at a time, and you can run past the sentinels at the end to get the papers. Use energy potions if you need to rest up.