A6 - Occulus Cult?

BrownieMix

The floor is empty, there is no eyebeast anywhere, and the little blue box says there is nothing but velvet inside. This is when I access the cult via the tunnels near the bug queen. I busted the barrier, saw the Vanhanatai crystal, got Return Life, but alas no stupid eyebeast. I did nothing special other then walk around and kill everyone...are they supposed to call him or something?

This isn't a bug...is it? Because if so, I'll be annoyed, as I don't have a saved game anywhere really before then.

This is really odd and I'm not sure what's up. You're sure you don't have the key already?

Originally Posted By: BrownieMix

This isn't a bug...is it? Because if so, I'll be annoyed, as I don't have a saved game anywhere really before then.

Where's your autosave? Is it from after you cleared out the cult?

My autosave is now past this, as I left the cult thinking the eyebeast was hiding somewhere else. I have a saved game after I killed the lich a second time, from which I sold tons of stuff and gained a couple of levels via skibbane, killed skunky joe, THEN went into the caves, so I could do that all over again if necessary - I probably only lost about 2 hours of playtime.

I am absolutely positive I do not have the key. I worked my way around the Cult area clockwise, hit that room and saw nothing. I have tried opening the doors, going back and forth into the area...still nothing.

According to the hintbook, there is no specific quest to go after these guys. Jeff says there is a tunnel west of Grindstone where the gazer is hiding, but I haven't "found" it yet as I haven't reached Grindstone yet. I have not yet finished the "kill marauders" quest and do not have access to Northern Avernum. I'm thinking something else I do triggers the eyebeast showing up, but what that might be is beyond me at this point.

I just went back to that earlier saved game, then went straight to the cult - same thing happened. There is no eyebeast.

This leads me to believe that one of three things is happening:

1) My game is screwed or corrupted, which I highly doubt because I haven't done anything that should cause this problem.

2) This is a bug in the game, which could be true, except apparently no one else has this problem.

3) There is a specific trigger that causes the eyebeast to appear, which I haven't hit yet. This is the most likely explanation, yet I have no idea what that trigger could actually be.

Are you doing the 'Destruction of Cotra' quest? It just might be that without triggering the sub-quest of saving Asterios, key and gazer won't spawn.

Or did you just stumble into their lair?

Or did you, perchance, do the other 2 tier three quests first?

Edit: Just read your post. You don't have the quest. If you don't have the quest, you don't need to rescue Asterios, hence no key.

Originally Posted By: Locmaar
Are you doing the 'Destruction of Cotra' quest? It just might be that without triggering the sub-quest of saving Asterios, key and gazer won't spawn.
Or did you just stumble into their lair?
Or did you, perchance, do the other 2 tier three quests first?

Edit: Just read your post. You don't have the quest. If you don't have the quest, you don't need to rescue Asterios, hence no key.

Exactly - I just confirmed this with some playtesting. This actually makes that fight insanely easy, as I have already cleared out the cult area. Once I got that quest, the gazer appears.

I don't know if this is really a "bug", but I'm glad I can do the quest anyway. again, you MUST have the Corta quest in order for the gazer to appear.

Thanks for suggestions on how to fix this!

Exactly - I just confirmed this with some playtesting. This actually makes that fight insanely easy, as I have already cleared out the cult area.

That's actually possible, anyway. I accidentally went the "wrong" way through the cult area and killed all the human cultists before running into the gazer. And for once BrownieMix and I agree -- the fight is really, really easy when you're fighting the gazer on its own.

• 1 month later...

This happened to me too. I wiped out the cult before I got the quest. No eyebeast, no key.

As I recall, the trigger was tracking a character who'd been kidnapped by the cult. You descend into the tunnels and follow a trail of blood to the cult. That's when you get the eyebeast and the key, not before.

It is confusing, but it saved lots of time when I got the quest, because I only had to deal with the eyebeast by then. BTW, the key, as I recall, gets you into an important area.

But the quest is "find the kidnapped guy," not "go wipe out that cult hiding in the tunnels."

According to the hintbook, there is no specific quest to go after these guys. Jeff says there is a tunnel west of Grindstone where the gazer is hiding, but I haven't "found" it yet as I haven't reached Grindstone yet. I have not yet finished the "kill marauders" quest and do not have access to Northern Avernum. I'm thinking something else I do triggers the eyebeast showing up, but what that might be is beyond me at this point.

Isn't the gazer that you reach from Grindstone different from the Oculus one?

• 2 months later...

Exactly the problem I had and this thread let me know that I was simply ahead of my quests. Took forever to find this thread tho. Apparently the spelling parameters in the Search function need to be loosened up some if that is possible. Thank you BrownieMix for asking the initial question.