Rat King at Level 3 ?

John May

Hi im loving playing this game.... dont know how well im doing... I JUST about managed the Rat king at Level 3, he wasnt so bad but all those well bred rats... Agghh..

Is he meant to be tough for level 3 ? i have no way of knowing if im doing ok or not.

Anyhow I am Level 4 now... looking for my next victim :-)

John.

I don't recall any Rat Kings in the game. Are you sure you mean in A5?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the Rat Lord NE of New Harston. No, you aren't supposed to kill him that early. Well, you could, but I didn't. I usually start off with Hickriks in the NW, then the goblins in the SE, and then the Rat Lord, so I'm a little higher when I fight him. Of course, before doing any of this, I do some quests and kill all the roving monsters. There are many ways of playing A5, so yeah, I guess you could do that.

Wrong forcefield. Letting him escape will cause a secret passage to open up. Behind it is a tunic that gives, IIRC +1 to Spellcraft. It's in the north north east of the bottom level. To dispel the forcefield you are talking about (north of the top level, you need to come back later with a Piercing Crystal. I think there's an okay shield behind it.

Also, 500th post.

EDIT: The items are as follows:

In the secret area:

Blessed Silk Tunic (6% Armor, +1 Spellcraft)

Rubies (3)

Focusing Crystal

Lightning Spray Scroll

Behind the barrier:

Focusing Crystal

Shield of Warmth (6% Armor, 5% Cold Resistance)

The game will usually guide you to level-appropriate battles if you follow along with the plot. Having to eliminate Hirickis, or whatever his name is, is important to the plot so I always do that first. I try to think of what the characters would do if they didn't know they were in a game, and that keeps me from doing things in the "wrong" order.

On the other hand, doing things in the wrong order might net you more XP, but I'm not certain about that.

well, just for an example, if you kill a level 50 monster when you're level 1, you'll get a lot more experience than if you kill that same monster when you're level 50. it would obviously balance out more over the long term anyway because if you fight all of the same monsters you would lose experience from weaker monsters that you normally would get, but i'd think you'd still get at least a bit more experience by the end for taking risks early in the game.

cliff notes version: i'm not certain about that, either, but it definitely makes sense.

the game caps at 60 anyways so there isn't much use in trying leveling to hard, doing all quests will leave you at about 45 end game, so the only way to reach the cap is standing at the harkin temple and messing with chance with save/load.

(this also means that the sum total of skill points gainable by leveling is 300)