Best Background Music for Avernum

Bhima

So, as much as I love canned music packaged with video games, I almost always turn off both sound effects and background music. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

Nonetheless, I'm wondering what others like to listen to? My present favorite is actually classical music: Mahler Symphonies. I find the suitably eerie for the cavernous setting of Avernum, and long enough to match the game-play that I tend to sit down for.

Cheers!

there is no music in Avernum.

It's a damp, moldy place, so I guess this explains things. Also, accoustics tend to be f*ked up in this huge cavern. And water dripping from the ceiling can become quite the music to your ears if you listen to it long enough... long enough... long enough... long...

and never mind the minstrel in New Harston. She's an illusion/ fake/ one of those guys who just sit there strumming their instruments all day to rip off bypassers

When I first played Exile (all 3) back in 2000 I think it was I listened to Switchfoot, Incubus, RHCP, Linkin Park a couple of others (like Switchfoot and Incubus) and some-other-band-I-now-hate-because-they-suck-nuggets-and-they-really-are-lame-but-I-wont-mention-the-name-in-case-people-want-to-burn-me-at-the-stake-but-seriously-they-do-suck-and-other-bands-made-rip-offs-of-their-stuff-one-of-which-involved-a-guy-sitting-on-a-toilet----oh-no!-i-gave-it-away!

I was going through depression at the time and those songs (especially from Incubus) and Exile actually helped me get through it all. I know it's not actually Avernum so to speak but it made a huge difference in my life (randomness indeed) and I listen to the same stuff now while playing Avernum and feel all euphoric and good and... stuff.

Bet you didn't see that coming! Ahahah! :3

*wanders off into the distance*

I don't really listen to music while playing Spiderweb Software games, but I do enjoy listening to Electric Light Orchestra's cover of Edvard Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" while trekking through that area with the outdoor cave area in the BoE version of VoDT, toward the end of the game. Not sure why I think it fits, but I enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Meh, I was mainly thinking of the chorus.

"They're all uptight", repeated, isn't particularly fitting for Avernum in my opinion. Some lines from various verses are, like "They'd shut me away/But I'd be all right", and "I keep forgetting/The smell of the warm summer air", but that's about it.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is a much better fit though, and I'm already using the lines "Fifteen steps/Then a sheer drop" in a scenario about Avernum, so I guess I should mention 15 Step too.

For some reason, I always found Slayer - Angel Of Death, Dragonforce - Heroes Of Our Time + TTFAF and System of a Down's Nuguns and Aerials to be good combat music.

Outdoors I normally play quieter songs by SOAD and Slipknot. (Slipknot + quiet = Scary Epic Win)

in destroyed places such as A2 Cotra, Eminem's more dark and meaningful songs, such as Sing For The Moment and The Way I Am are good.

Also,the instrumental from Serj Tankian - Empty Walls always worked for me.

And in towns with many friendlies, Paramore and any of the happy songs by Green Day are good.

P.S. I know I like rock music too much, no need to point that out.