Default Graphic Sets

Celtic Minstrel

One of the things that I'm working on is expanding the set of default graphics of all types. I've already added additional terrain graphics from Exiles 1 through 3, additional monster graphics from Exiles 1 and 2 (I don't think there's any from E3), and additional dialog graphics (most from Nethergate, one from E2). I could also add scenario icons, item graphics, and missile graphics. Another option would be additional fields or booms (I did add the inverted electricity explosion already).

I would prefer graphics that are either original Exile graphics, logical extensions of original Exile graphics, or adapted from original Avernum graphics. That's not to say others won't be accepted – it's just that they're less likely to be. If you have or know of a graphic that you think should be included, post a link to it. Make sure it's not on one of the sheets here first, though. I'll try to keep those up-to-date as much as possible.

I absolutely will not accept walkway corners – they are obsolete with the new walkway rendering system. I also won't accept terrain with marked specials (the white dots) for the same reason. It's fine to submit a set of terrain that includes those, of course.

Submitted graphics must be in Mac brightness levels. They will be adjusted for the Windows brightness level.

Now, there are also some specific graphics which I'd like. These are all logical extensions of existing Exile graphics. If you'd like to make one of these, post your intention here so we don't have six people working on the same graphics.

• Attack graphic for the female merchant from Exile 1 (note that it actually has one already; if people think it's good enough, then it can be kept.)
  • Attack graphic for the green Robin-Hood-y peddlar guy from Exile 1 (again, I made one for it, so it could be kept if it's good enough.)
  • Attack graphic for the Spider Lord (?) from Exile 1 (I made one, but it's awful and I don't want to keep it.)
  • Attack graphic for the Demon Lord (?) from Exile 1 (again, I made one which is not very good.)
  • Attack graphic for the Lava Bat from Exile 2 (should resemble the attack graphic for the normal bat.)
  • Attack graphic for Garzahd from Exile 2 (I made one, and I know at least two other people have as well, so we'll need to decide whether to pick one of those or make yet another new one.)
  • Attack graphic for the old Gazer from Exile 1 (Again, I made one and so did at least one other person, so we could take one of those or create yet a new one.)
  • Attack graphic for the giant king (?) from Exile 2.
  • Attack graphic for the ogre king (?) from Exile 2.
  • Three more cave entrances to complement the one seen here. I don't want a simply "flip vertical" graphic – that would most likely lead to lines appearing where the terrain doesn't quite match. I'm asking someone to take the basic cave wall graphic and carve out caves in some other direction than south.
  • Three more waterfalls, falling to the north, east, and west. I'm going to expand the engine so you can actually create such waterfalls, so having matching graphics would be great.
  • See the rubble on the last line of this sheet? That's a middle-rubble space from Exile 2 which allows the creation of unbroken chains of rubble of arbitrary length. I'd like similar graphics to go with the grass rubble and the grey cave rubble.
  • An evil altar on grey cave floor would be nice, since we have one on blue cave floor already.
  • Cultivated mushrooms (arranged neatly in rows) for both blue and grey cave floor.
  • A complete set of transitions between grey cave floor and blue cave floor.
  • A 64x64 scenario graphic for Bandit Busywork.
  • The Crystal Soul, Mind Crystal, Power Crystal, and Living Statue without their backgrounds yet including shadows and lighting (via dithering).
  • Hill-to-water and mountain-to-water transitions
If I think of others, I will edit this list to include them.

Now for a quick question. Look at this sheet. (It's the items sheet from Exile 1, if you're wondering.) Can anyone tell me what that pole weapon on the last line is, and whether it's worth adding to BoE? Also, what's the white thing on the second line? And lastly, the arrows and the tools – should they be added? (Tools being the last on the second line.) And also, what about the gold (my inclination is "yes") and the food (I'm leaning towards "no")?

Now look at this sheet. What on earth is that thing between the halberd and the bow on the first line? Is it worth adding? What about the scroll on the second line? The shield on the third line? (I think the shield isn't worth it.)

And last but not least... the current set of item graphic has one that is blank. Is there any reason to keep that? Do people consider it useful to be able to make an item that's invisible? Or should that slot be filled with something else?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have attack graphics for the E1 ogre that I made a while ago. (Third one down on the monst11 sheet)

I use the 'blue' graphics for BoE. Other-direction caves I have. Evil altar I can make easily.

By 'complete set of transitions', do you mean like edge graphics, to move from one floor-type to the other?

Middle-space for rubble, I don't have at the moment but I could probably make.

I vote, add the gold. I don't have any opinion about the food or arrows.

I think the item between the halberd and the bow is a crossbow, at least it looks like it to me. I like the scroll.

Now, all my graphics are at windows brightness. How do I adjust them for mac?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
I have attack graphics for the E1 ogre that I made a while ago. (Third one down on the monst11 sheet)
Okay, that'd be great. Monster graphics aren't brighter on Windows, it seems, so you shouldn't have to worry about adjusting them.

I use the 'blue' graphics for BoE. Other-direction caves I have. Evil altar I can make easily.
Caves that aren't simply flips/rotations of the south one? I'd like those. The evil altar should be on grey not blue cave; the only reason I want it is because I have one on blue cave.

By 'complete set of transitions', do you mean like edge graphics, to move from one floor-type to the other?
Yes, much like the hill-grass transitions, but between the two cave floor types instead.

Thanks!
If you're making new graphics, I would ask that you base them off the Mac graphics (you can find them all here). For already-created graphics... it seems only the terrain graphics are affected, so you can probably leave monster, item, or other graphics alone. For terrain graphics, I'm going to say just send the Windows version and I'll fiddle with it until it works. There seems to be no reliable formula for converting Windows to Mac, and I think the conversion from Mac to Windows actually loses data. I may ask you to redo some of them with the Mac graphics if I can't get it to work. The Windows graphics will be used either way though for compatibility.

Note that for compatibility purposes we are going to include both Windows and Mac graphics with the game; old Windows scenarios will use the Windows graphics and all others will use the Mac graphics. (The Windows version already does this; I have yet to add it to the Mac version.)

I have the mac base graphics already, but I have had the windows edited ones made for quite a while. I guess I could remake them if you can't get them to work.

The cave ones are flipped/rotated, but cloned into the actual side-wall so there is no graphical incompatibility.

Ogre, Caves, and some other blue frills I had lying around.

I'll get to work on the altar, using mac graphics, on gray cave floor. I should be able to upload it tomorrow morning. Edge graphics I'll try, it could be tricky and take a while though.

Okay, I'll keep the invisible item then.

I'll see what I can do with those graphics, Mistborn. I suspect the caves should be fine.

And yeah, edges could be tricky. Take as much time as you need. smile

I have the mac base graphics already, but I have had the windows edited ones made for quite a while. I guess I could remake them if you can't get them to work.
Sorry, which graphics are you talking about here? Just all of them? Or certain ones in particular?

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Submitted graphics must be in Mac brightness levels. They will be adjusted for the Windows brightness level.

Of course, if the original graphic is already in Windows brightness level, post it already and i will add it to the Windows sheets (no need to adjust them two times) ... wink

Can anyone tell me what that pole weapon on the last line is [...] ?
Looks like an old slith spear ...

Also, what's the white thing on the second line?
Looks like an old school wand ...

What on earth is that thing between the halberd and the bow on the first line?
I would say crossbow ... And Mistb0rn agrees wink

You can add the gold icon if you feel like it (note that, if i remember Exile I/II correctly, it looks really low-res in-game), the food icon (ham and bread) is already in BoE.

For already-created graphics... it seems only the terrain graphics are affected, so you can probably leave monster, item, or other graphics alone.
The only brightness affected graphics are indeed terrains and some sfx (poison boom, zap boom, ...). Monsters, items, ... use the same brightness on Mac and Win ...

You can probably use your favorite graphics editor and the Mac graphic sheets as a base to determine the brightness level. You may also use some masking to ease the transition (i did with the new custom trims).
Nonetheless, post the Windows brightness version too so I can add them to the Windows sheet.

I've already added the blue caves entries.

The Windows version already does this;
Note that i leave the user complete control over what graphic sheets he wants to use (so that he can change them if needed or persist in using his favorite even if it doesn't match the scenario custom graphics).

Hope it helps,
Chokboyz

P.S : by the way, i assume we have the right to use the Exile I/II/III graphics ...

Originally Posted By: Chokboyz

Of course, if the original graphic is already in Windows brightness level, post it already and i will add it to the Windows sheets (no need to adjust them two times) ... wink
Sure, but we need to agree where they go on the sheet.

Can anyone tell me what that pole weapon on the last line is [...] ?
Looks like an old slith spear ...

Also, what's the white thing on the second line?
Looks like an old school wand ...

What on earth is that thing between the halberd and the bow on the first line?
I would say crossbow ... And Mistb0rn agrees wink
And is it worth keeping them? If that is indeed a crossbow, and there's no larger version in E1, I'd say scrap it, but I'm not so sure about the other two.

The only brightness affected graphics are indeed terrains and some sfx (poison boom, zap boom, ...). Monsters, items, ... use the same brightness on Mac and Win ...
And yet, that ogre king Mistborn posted is brighter than the Mac one.

Mistborn, how hard would it be to redo that graphic in Mac brightness?

Nonetheless, post the Windows brightness version too so I can add them to the Windows sheet.

I've already added the blue caves entries.
Oh dear. First of all, did you update the sheets to match my most recent posting? Look in the "changes.txt" file for a complete (I think) list of which sheets I changed.

Second, I intend to add them to the ter7 sheet as opposed to the ter5 sheet. I'm going to add the waterfalls to ter5, the altar on grey cave floor (replacing the altar on stone floor which is a duplicate), the middle rubble spaces (grass and grey cave), and cultivated mushrooms on grey cave floor to fill the empty slots in ter5 (once I get all those graphics, of course).

The Windows version already does this;
Note that i leave the user complete control over what graphic sheets he wants to use (so that he can change them if needed or persist in using his favorite even if it doesn't match the scenario custom graphics).
I wasn't planning to do that. Maybe I'll make it a hidden preference though.

At some point, I'm going to move away from the use of a resource file for the default graphics, and use a file package instead. The file package will still contain a resource file with the cursors and (possibly) the patterns.

Sure, but we need to agree where they go on the sheet.

Go ahead, i'll adapt Windows sheets accordingly (as i've done when completing TER6/adding TER7) ...

And is it worth keeping them? If that is indeed a crossbow, and there's no larger version in E1, I'd say scrap it, but I'm not so sure about the other two.

I would say scrap all of them, as they seems rather off, being pretty low-res. Nonetheless, you can always add them for sake of diversity if you want ...

And yet, that ogre king Mistborn posted is brighter than the Mac one.

I was referring to the BoE graphics, i've not checked the Exile I/II/III ones ... The monsters and items may, in fact, have different brightness in those games.
That is not important though, as we need to choose the brightness level that will fits the best with BoE monsters/items/... (and that will be the same for both platform since they share the same brightness for monsters/items/ ...).

Oh dear. First of all, did you update the sheets to match my most recent posting? Look in the "changes.txt" file for a complete (I think) list of which sheets I changed.

Second, I intend to add them to the ter7 sheet as opposed to the ter5 sheet. I'm going to add the waterfalls to ter5, the altar on grey cave floor (replacing the altar on stone floor which is a duplicate), the middle rubble spaces (grass and grey cave), and cultivated mushrooms on grey cave floor to fill the empty slots in ter5 (once I get all those graphics, of course).

Oh my, i didn't noticed ...
Since changing ter5 (and maybe ter6) won't be compatible with the legacy version of the code, i'll change them latter (probably in another Win32 branch entitled Open Blade of Exile).
Go on, i'll catch on all the changes latter ...

At some point, I'm going to move away from the use of a resource file for the default graphics, and use a file package instead. The file package will still contain a resource file with the cursors and (possibly) the patterns.

Seems like a good idea wink

Chokboyz

Ooh, I thought of something else I'd like. If someone could take some time to divorce the Crystal Soul, Mind Crystal, Power Crystal, and Living Statue from their backgrounds, that'd be great. This is somewhat difficult, since you would want to preserve the shadow and light effects cast by the monsters on the terrain. This would probably be best done by dithering.

I would say scrap all of them, as they seems rather off, being pretty low-res. Nonetheless, you can always add them for sake of diversity if you want ...

...Low-res? They're the exact same resolution as the existing graphics!

Oh my, i didn't noticed ...

Since changing ter5 (and maybe ter6) won't be compatible with the legacy version of the code, i'll change them latter (probably in another Win32 branch entitled Open Blade of Exile).

Go on, i'll catch on all the changes latter ...

Changing ter5 won't be a problem once you have the code to convert from the old format to the new, since that maps all the replaced graphics to a different, equivalent one, but until then you should definitely leave it untouched.

Seems like a good idea wink
It essentially means that there will be a graphics folder containing two subfolders, mac and win, as well as a sounds folder.

Mistborn, how hard would it be to redo that graphic in Mac brightness?

Not very hard. I'll try to figure it out. I'll be away all weekend, but Tuesday I should have enough free time to make one.

Here's the altar.

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, which graphics are you talking about here? Just all of them? Or certain ones in particular?

Any and all. If there's anything you can't get to work, it should only take a few hours for me to redo in mac.

Ogre is great, lava bat looks a little different than Exile 2 (but not in a bad way), haakai lord is hard to see but looks fairly good.

The transitions seem decent – they're quite different in style from the grass/hill transitions, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You've also done more than I expected – I was asking for the first 12 graphics only, but you also did cave wall transitions, which is great, and transitions with trees and stalagmites! But your cave wall transitions are incomplete – they have the edges only. Another twelve would complete that set (just the cave walls, without a cave floor border).

Overall, great work! laugh

This isn't quite related, but another thing that someone could do is enlarge the game's file icons. Currently we only have 32x32 and smaller icons; the Mac also supports 64x64 icons and 128x128 icons. I'm not sure about Windows, but I think it also supports icons larger than 32x32 now.

All the current 32x32 icons can be seen here. I made the sounds icon, and the Windows icons clearly say so in the name. As far as I know, there are only two Windows icons; scenarios and savegames don't seem to have one. (Correct me if I'm wrong! And also let me see it.)

I like the Mac icons better, but maybe that's just me...

Okay, I'll do the other 12 cave walls with this style, then see what I can do about making them all less square-looking.

Also, you mentioned in the first post cultivated mushrooms in rows...do you have any specific mushroom type in mind? Same type on both cave floors, separate types on each, or several types on both?

EDIT: Here's what I have for now, transitions v.1.3. I just smoothed out the corners to be less square and added a bit more variance along the straights. It has the other 12 walls, and I fixed a small incompatibility on one of the stalagmites. Again, feedback is appreciated.

Windows can support really large icons. If my understanding is correct, XP Tiled View icons are 64x64, and I think on Vista the icons are 128x128. Also, the mac icons are awesome.

And you are correct about the absense of fancy icons for saves and scenarios.

Also, you mentioned in the first post cultivated mushrooms in rows...do you have any specific mushroom type in mind? Same type on both cave floors, separate types on each, or several types on both?
The mushrooms should fit in with the regular mushrooms for each type of cave floor. Notice that each cave floor has two type of mushrooms, the small round ones and the taller pointy ones. You could do a cultivated form of each, or just pick one (I personally prefer the round ones, but it doesn't matter much). Or you could draw new ones from scratch if you felt like it. wink

The additional transitions are fine. They're hard to see, but there's nothing we can do about that really. Also, I like the rounded form. It's still a different style from hills/grass, but as I said that's not a bad thing.

Could you perhaps redo the cave entrances in Mac brightness? Or is that too difficult?

Does anyone know a formula for converting Mac brightness to Windows brightness? It seems logical to assume that there would be one, since the Mac brightness is original and was adjusted for Windows. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Could you perhaps redo the cave entrances in Mac brightness? Or is that too difficult?

No problem.

The mushrooms should fit in with the regular mushrooms for each type of cave floor. Notice that each cave floor has two type of mushrooms, the small round ones and the taller pointy ones. You could do a cultivated form of each, or just pick one (I personally prefer the round ones, but it doesn't matter much). Or you could draw new ones from scratch if you felt like it.

Okay, I think I'll do all of them. Would six per square be too many? And should there be any differences on the cave background (furrows or something similar) to help convey the cultivated-ness of them? Or just the fact that they're in rows would be enough?

The additional transitions are fine. They're hard to see, but there's nothing we can do about that really. Also, I like the rounded form. It's still a different style from hills/grass, but as I said that's not a bad thing.

Is that it then? Do you want a more hills-type style to compare with, or just go with the way they are? Are there any other things you would want on them?

Oh, and also, could I add trees and/or boulder to the above-ground hill and the hill transition edges? It has always annoyed me that you can't really block those squares without a special node.

Okay, I think I'll do all of them. Would six per square be too many? And should there be any differences on the cave background (furrows or something similar) to help convey the cultivated-ness of them? Or just the fact that they're in rows would be enough?
I'm not sure. I'm not sure that furrows really make sense for mushrooms though; if anything, I'd put in slight ridges. But do whatever you think works. (I guess you'll be giving me 4 mushroom graphics?)

Is that it then? Do you want a more hills-type style to compare with, or just go with the way they are? Are there any other things you would want on them?
I'll go with them as they are. smile

Oh, and also, could I add trees and/or boulder to the above-ground hill and the hill transition edges? It has always annoyed me that you can't really block those squares without a special node.
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing! smile Note that there are a grand total of four different impassable trees for the surface. Also note that boulder may not be impassable – it wasn't in Exile 3, for example.

The hill boulders are set to be passable by default in the Bladbase, I think, although that doesn't stop you from making boulders on hill-to-grass transitions. Mountain-to-water transitions might be cool.

As for the cave floor transitions, I like the current, rounded version a lot.

I recall the boulders being impassable in the default bladbase.

Since we're discussing further transitions, I'll add hill-to-water to the mix.

How well does the current waterfall fit in with mountain? Should we have a separate set of waterfalls for mountain, or are the cave waterfalls fine?

Is there anyone else besides Mistborn who'd like to make graphics?

Also, suggestions for further graphics would be nice. I think it'd be nice to have adaptations of some of the Avernum floors, with a set of furnishings and stuff. A few more marble floor graphics might be nice (but they should ideally fit the general theme of the marble floor graphics, ie be somewhat "elaborate").

In the first post you mentioned Avernum adaptations--for those I'll need the graphics sheets from Avernum (I don't play Avernum, so I don't have them) and a list of what you're looking for - assuming you still want them, of course. ;-)

At the moment I'm still working on the mushrooms and mac caves, I should hopefully be done sometime next week.

Ok, sorry this took so long, but things have been quite hectic this week. Here's the cave entrances for mac.

The mushrooms, I'm still working on. On the blue cave especially it is rather difficult to make them look like they're in cultivated rows, as opposed to sloppy almost-rows. I'm making progress, but they might not look as good as I was hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, sorry these took so long, but I had to finalize the homeschool portfolios for four of the kids, so I've had hardly any free time this month.

Without further ado, I present Cultivated-ish Mushrooms. I can't seem to get them perfect, so I'll say here they are, unless anyone has specific ideas for improvement, in which case I'll gladly get back to work.

Also, All manner of trees, boulders, and water on hills and hill-to-grass edges. I'm not sure how well the mountain waterfalls will fit with the water, let me know if there is any other edge sort of things you need to make it properly compatible.

Here also are the center-space rubbles for grass and gray cave. Let me know if you need anything changed.

I'll be unable to work on graphics this coming week, but I hope to be a bit more regular after that. I haven't done the alternate cave waterfalls yet, but if the mountain ones work, the others will be much easier for me to do.

Any word yet on the choices for Avernum graphics? I'm looking forward to doing those...

All those look good to me.

Since no-one mentioned any of the Avernum graphics that they would like translated, I'll go look into it and choose some.

I think there are some at the Blazing Blade already, based on Avernum floor graphics, so we could probably use those if no-one has any objections.

If no-one objects, I'll use the Avernum mosaic floors found at the Blazing Blade website (which is still there - I thought Geocities was closing down?). Besides that, the following may be nice... (all from BoA)

In file Terrain Graphics:

• Walls type 604 (the vahnatai walls)
  • Walls type 605 (wood walls)
  • Some of the floors on sheets 704 through 706 (excluding the mosaic floors on 705 since those are done already)
  • The purple carpet on 707
  • More floors on sheet 709
  • Any statue you can find (these would probably have to be rotated in an odd way, though – it wouldn't be easy, I think)
  • Stone circle on 751
  • Perhaps the lava and inverse lava
  • The crystal and the rune on 761
  • Trapdoor on 762 (I may have done this one already – I'll check if people would like)
  • Cave trees on 766
  • Sheet 767 looks generally useful

I don't think we should do all of those, though, especially not all the floors. We should decide which ones we want.

Also, for floors, we'll need to make a whole set, and that's a lot of work. It may be possible to simply use other BoA graphics as-is for this, though. In BoE, each floor usually has a theme. The stone floor is utilitarian (for lack of a better term), the marble floor is elaborate, and the green floor is alien. I'd like to do something similar for any added floors.

Okay, I had some free time so I did this wall-set (604).

I only have the windows sheets at the moment, so if you want them to be in mac brightness I will need the mac versions of the BoA terrain sheets.

I do have some questions in general about these. Do they look BoE enough? For the doors do you want the smaller size (3rd in the row), the larger size, or both? What floor goes with which walls? And what should I fill the empty window-spaces with? Is there anything else I should do differently?

Thanks!

I have no idea whether BoA shares the brightness disparity of BoE. Does anyone know? In fact, those walls almost look darker than the original BoA walls that I have. Not that that's a bad thing...

Do they look BoE enough?
Yes, they look pretty good in general.

For the doors do you want the smaller size (3rd in the row), the larger size, or both?
I'm not sure what you mean – all the doors are the same size as far as I can tell. Since you say 3rd in the row, I'm guessing you're comparing the cutaway to the non-cutaway versions? If so, I'd say that the width should try to match the cutaway version, but you can use the non-cutaway version as a reference for the door frame.

What floor goes with which walls?
For these walls, my choice would probably be the green floor. If we convert the Avernum green tile floor, that could be used, otherwise the Exile green tile floor.

And what should I fill the empty window-spaces with?
That's a hard question. The basic stone walls fill the window with blackness, while the other two original walls fill it with a light-on-glass effect. For the closed portcullis, the gaps also seem to be filled with blackness in all the walls. And in the open door/portcullis, they are filled with stone floor going into blackness.

You could fill the open door/gate with whatever floor we decide goes with it, or even with stone floor. Just use the existing graphics as a rough guide and do what you think works best.

Is there anything else I should do differently?
Well, that one is incomplete, since it's missing open door and open portcullis images and has two porcullises.

Also, a few walls with features would be good. A sign, weapons, maybe even a painting or "grisly trophy" – these are all things other wallsets have. And all the basic walls have a mouldy version. We can probably do without that, though.

At the very least, though, we'll need a wall with a sign. You can make the sign unique for the wall, if you like, or you could use an existing sign if you think it fits.

Quote:
Quote:
For the doors do you want the smaller size (3rd in the row), the larger size, or both?

I'm not sure what you mean – all the doors are the same size as far as I can tell. Since you say 3rd in the row, I'm guessing you're comparing the cutaway to the non-cutaway versions? If so, I'd say that the width should try to match the cutaway version, but you can use the non-cutaway version as a reference for the door frame.

I mean on my sheet. The third one on my sheet is the same size as the Avernum one, and the fourth one on my sheet is enlarged to make the door fill more of the square, since most of the other exile doors fill much of the square.

Regarding other stuff on the walls, I wasn't submitting this as a finished set, just an example of a few things to clear up some questions I had. I am planning to make the open doors once I know which door you want to use, and I didn't want to do too much extra stuff if I would need to redo them all for mac.

So, should I act on the assumption that the windows brightness is okay to use, or wait for an official decision?

I mean on my sheet. The third one on my sheet is the same size as the Avernum one, and the fourth one on my sheet is enlarged to make the door fill more of the square, since most of the other exile doors fill much of the square.
Oh, I get it... the wider one does seem to fit better with Exile in general.

So, should I act on the assumption that the windows brightness is okay to use, or wait for an official decision?
I think it's okay, but I'd kind of like that to be confirmed first...

• 2 weeks later...

http://ados.ermarian.net/BoX/BigBandt.bmp

It's kind of cheesy looking, but it's the best I could do. I realized that the image is actually based on the Grand Tetons as seen from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, which made it easier. I used three different public domain images (the mountains, the sky, and the hills) to make it.

Looks good enough to me. It doesn't quite match the style of the other three, but that doesn't matter really.

I won't add it just yet, since the dialog to use it doesn't yet exist, and it will give time to tweak it if anyone thinks that's necessary.

By the way, can we have confirmation about whether Avernum graphics are brighter on Windows than on Mac? I suspect they aren't, but I'm not sure.

http://ados.ermarian.net/BoX/Bigscen.bmp

I pasted it into BigScen.bmp, accidentally forgetting to increase the color depth first, and I think it made it look more uniform with the other three. I also shifted the mountains toward blue and made the grass on the hills more brown and less vivid, to match the smaller icon.

Is it any better?

Also, weren't Jeff Vogel's scenarios going to be excluded from the Custom Scenarios list? They still appear to be there.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
Also, weren't Jeff Vogel's scenarios going to be excluded from the Custom Scenarios list? They still appear to be there.
Yes they were, but obviously Chokboyz hasn't implemented that yet. It's already the case in the Mac version (in theory at least; I'm pretty sure the game still crashes when showing the Pick Custom Scenario dialog due to strange linkage-related errors).

Hum, no i haven't planned to do that ... Since an infinite (read depending on your available memory) number of scenario can now be listed, it doesn't matter if the original scenario are redundantly listed in the custom scenario (and the info given is not the same in the "Start Scenario" dialog and the custom one).
But, if you want really want it to be implemented, it would take about 2 lines of code wink

Chokboyz

(and the info given is not the same in the "Start Scenario" dialog and the custom one)

How's this, then:

Quote:
A small village is having problems with a group
of mysterious bandits. You have been called in
to exterminate them, but first you must find
out where - and who - they are.

Tell me what you think. Feedback on the icon is welcome too.

EDIT: And while that dialog is being edited, perhaps the title of A Small Rebellion could be fixed? It still says "A Mild Rebellion".

Now that I've been attempting to play through Bandit Busywork, I'm realizing just how sloppily it was put together. Spelling mistakes, they're/their/there and similar mistakes, missing quotes, buggy node chains. Plus it's only four towns long. the scenario really does feel like busywork, complete with entirely unlikeable people giving you the work to do. Do we really need to include this with the program? I'm worrying it will give people a bad impression of BoE, especially since it's a beginner-level scenario that could possibly be the first one they play.

At least that larger scenario icon might see use some day once the capability is implemented, maybe...

EDIT: What I suggest we could do instead of putting Bandit Busywork in the Start Scenario dialog, is implementing the capability to use larger icons in the Custom Scenario dialog, in addition to making the teaser text area larger a la Start Scenario, then we could combine Start Scenario and Custom Scenario into one button called Start Scenario and free up another Main Menu button for whatever we want.

Now that I've been attempting to play through Bandit Busywork, I'm realizing just how sloppily it was put together. Spelling mistakes, they're/their/there and similar mistakes, missing quotes, buggy node chains. Plus it's only four towns long. the scenario really does feel like busywork, complete with entirely unlikeable people giving you the work to do. Do we really need to include this with the program? I'm worrying it will give people a bad impression of BoE, especially since it's a beginner-level scenario that could possibly be the first one they play.

I have no plan of including this one in the Three "official" scenarios (it will be included in the Custom Scenarios list, thus people won't think of it as something official).
By the way, if you feel like correcting those spelling mistakes, missing quotes (?) and buggy node chains (???) we would gladly add the revised version in the next release. wink

Chokboyz

I'm slightly confused. Will we eventually be including every scenario with the package, or just the three standard plus Bandit Busywork in the Custom Scenarios like it is with Win32 CBoE Beta 2? We're not really under any obligation to include it at all, even if it is the only post-release Jeff Vogel scenario. I'd much rather see scenarios Milu's "New Market City", and maybe Jewels's "Sound Showcase" included with the package, if we're not including every scenario we have.