Inner Gazaki-Uss[G5]

Acky

Wait, you can just leave while the attack is taking place and come back and nothing will change?

Also, a side question: Why does Jeff always put the least powerful spells at the end of the game? I remember I was ready to burst a bubble when I used the canister of Firebolt in Berneii-Uss back in G2.

The Last Archon

This is a constant conundrum in RPG development. Ultimate equipment, spells, etc. always seems like it arrives with too little time left to play with it. But if it arrives too early, there is not enough left to look ahead to, and the game becomes less interesting.

Originally Posted By: Paperwork Crane
This is a constant conundrum in RPG development. Ultimate equipment, spells, etc. always seems like it arrives with too little time left to play with it. But if it arrives too early, there is not enough left to look ahead to, and the game becomes less interesting.

One way to deal with it is to have multiple skill trees, each with their own ultimate skill. Of course, then you have to work out a way of making skills scale with your level so that completing one tree halfway through the game doesn't let you trample everything underfoot from then on.

As far as equipment goes, Geneforge 4 and 5 both did this pretty well, but in different ways. In G4, most of the difficult late-game optional quests and areas can reasonably be done in just about any order, and they tend to give out a range of very good items with mostly incommensurable benefits. In G5, artifact crafting basically worked on the skill-tree approach described above, except instead of skills it was ingredients. The artifacts weren't as balanced as they could have been, but it still worked okay.