BoE Editor

Tonweya

At the ripe old age of 67 I've decided to make a serious effort to learn the Editor, (finally). Most I think I understand, but I'd like to verify a couple of beginner questions...

Although there are a set number of Nodes for each Town, Outdoor Section and the Scenario itself, the 3000 SDF's are a single group unto themselves, Y/N?

So, there wouldn't be an SDF of the same number in each of the above groups, Y/N?

When an SDF is used, the values in 1a and 1b, (at least this value), and in 2a and 2b, (less than this value), are arbitrary numbers chosen by the the Author, Y/N?

Since all SDF's are set at '0' when the Scenario is started, the arbitrary number chosen by the Author isn't important so long as it's not '0' or '-1', Y/N?

Lastly, is the sequence of nodes important?

That is, do I have to put the 'Get Item', 'SDF', 'Set Flag', in a particular order, or does the Program continually read the nodes and will distinguish who's who?

tx,

me

Originally Posted By: Ahbleza
Although there are a set number of Nodes for each Town, Outdoor Section and the Scenario itself, the 3000 SDF's are a single group unto themselves, Y/N?
So, there wouldn't be an SDF of the same number in each of the above groups, Y/N?

Correct. SDFs aren't specific to any one area; you can set SDF (1,5) in one town or outdoor section and check SDF (1,5) in another area and it'll still be at the value you set it to.

Quote:
When an SDF is used, the values in 1a and 1b, (at least this value), and in 2a and 2b, (less than this value), are arbitrary numbers chosen by the the Author, Y/N?

Correct, unless you're doing something fancy like using the Increment Flag node to keep count of something.

Quote:
Since all SDF's are set at '0' when the Scenario is started, the arbitrary number chosen by the Author isn't important so long as it's not '0' or '-1', Y/N?

Mostly correct. Setting a flag to 250 or more can have weird results, since 250 is a special value used by one-time special nodes. So don't do that.

Quote:
Lastly, is the sequence of nodes important?
That is, do I have to put the 'Get Item', 'SDF', 'Set Flag', in a particular order, or does the Program continually read the nodes and will distinguish who's who?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The program will execute special nodes in the order that you tell it to. If you're using If-Then nodes (for example, giving the party an item if and only if a certain SDF has the right value), then obviously you have to put the If-Then node earlier in the chain than the Give Item node, so that it can actually check if the condition is met before giving the item. Otherwise, it doesn't usually matter too much what order you put things in.

Let me start with the last item first.

A Cave, (town), has an item in it for the Party to pick up.

Would the nodes for that town have to be in a specific order such as: node 0 = check the SDF, node 1 = get item, node 2 = increment the value. Or can they be in any order because the 'Get Item' node is only dependent upon that specific SDF node?

* I'd assume that a single SDF node could be used for reference by several different 'task' nodes, Y/N?

That is.. does it matter whether the 'Get Item' is before the 'SDF', or 'Increment Value', etc.?

As to the arbitrary number; I'd only use a single digit positive number for reference; anything that isn't -1.

I never thought about going as high as 250.

I can't begin to explain how important it is, or how thankful I am that there are still a few experienced Players 'out there' who are still around to answer questions for those of us who would be completely lost without you.

My most sincere thanks,

me

Let me start with the last item first.
A Cave, (town), has an item in it for the Party to pick up.
Would the nodes for that town have to be in a specific order such as: node 0 = check the SDF, node 1 = get item, node 2 = increment the value. Or can they be in any order because the 'Get Item' node is only dependent upon that specific SDF node?
* I'd assume that a single SDF node could be used for reference by several different 'task' nodes, Y/N?

Hang on, you're confusing your terms. An SDF isn't a node. A node that checks or changes an SDF is a node, but the SDF itself is just an SDF. You can have several different nodes that perform different checks or changes on the same SDF.

Quote:
That is.. does it matter whether the 'Get Item' is before the 'SDF', or 'Increment Value', etc.?

If I'm understanding you correctly, your sequence of nodes go like this:

1. Check an SDF to make sure that the party hasn't already taken the item
2. Give the party the item
3. Set the SDF so that the party can't take the item again

If so, then node 1 has to come first, but it doesn't matter whether 2 comes before 3 or vice versa. This will correctly give the party the item once and only once.

If this isn't clear, imagine what would happen if you didn't put node 1 first. Instead, your order went like this:

1. Give the party the item
2. Check an SDF to make sure that the party hasn't already taken the item
3. Set the SDF so that the party can't take the item again

By the time the SDF is checked, the party has already been given the item! If you used this sequence of nodes, the party would be able to take the item as many times as they wanted, and the SDF would effectively be useless.

Or suppose the order went like this:

1. Set the SDF so that the party can't take the item again
2. Check an SDF to make sure that the party hasn't already taken the item
3. Give the party the item

In that case, the SDF would be set to the "item already taken" value before the check was made, so the check would see that the SDF has been set and end the chain, and the party would never be able to take the item at all!

Basically, if you're checking something, the check has to come before the things you want it to cause or prevent.

It's very clear; and it's what I presumed would be the proper order and what I probably would be doing, if only to keep the order clear in my mind.

I guess what I was asking was that I realize the speed which things are happening made me question whether the Program was actually reading things sequentially, node by node, (what you've just stated), or if it was continually sweeping the nodes and making adjustments as it found them.

Must be why it's referred to as 'logic', eh? ;^}

Again, thanks a bunch,

me

P.S. Yes, I understand the flag, 'SDF' is what a particular node is assigned to do. I just used the wrong terminology. A node is the sequential 'step' in the program and being an SDF is what a node may be assigned to do.

me

It's very clear; and it's what I presumed would be the proper order and what I probably would be doing, if only to keep the order clear in my mind.
I guess what I was asking was that I realize the speed which things are happening made me question whether the Program was actually reading things sequentially, node by node, (what you've just stated), or if it was continually sweeping the nodes and making adjustments as it found them.
Must be why it's referred to as 'logic', eh? ;^}

Yep. When it comes to performing simple mathematical operations like this, computers are very fast. A computer running at 1 GHz can perform about a billion calculations per second, give or take. Computers do exactly what you tell them to do, and they usually do it quickly: that's their greatest strength and weakness.

P.S. Yes, I understand the flag, 'SDF' is what a particular node is assigned to do. I just used the wrong terminology. A node is the sequential 'step' in the program and being an SDF is what a node may be assigned to do.
me
No, that's not right. A flag or SDF is more like a container which holds a value for later use. A node is, as you say, one step of the program. Those that call for an SDF do various things with the value of the SDF. For example, all the one-shots set the SDF to 250, causing the white special encounter circle to vanish (if present).

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be.

The thing that seems to make it most difficult is that all the choices are already made and you have to find them instead of writing the line. That seems to make a lot of memorization or a lot of sheets of paper to mull through ;^{

Just out of curiosity, what programming language does the Editor use, or is it some sort of home-made program using another language?

There seems to have been a gap during the child rearing years between 'Basic' on a C-64 and Windows XP. ;^)

Thanx for the assistance; this is finally beginning to be enjoyable.

me

Thanx,

I never liked the flat 3-D of Avernum, although the rest of the Community seems to have favored it, apparently because of the programming style you describe. I think I still have enough to do with BoE to keep me busy for a while yet. I prefer the scenarios that have good story content and not all the killing. How the Authors have to interlock the content seems to be what catches my interest.

I'm not an Author, either. I just want to learn how BoE functions.

Again, thanks,

me

BoE graphics are colorful, BoA graphics are drab on Windows by comparison. Outdoor BoA cliffs are as angular as any skyscraper.

It may be possible to do something about BoE, currently I am one error away from compiling the Editor. I will email Ormus to ask about missing resources like cursors.

It seems that a 'call', 'jump', or an 'else' are just different ways to 'goto' the next thing you want the program to do, right?

I don't see any difference in what they accomplish.

Also, everything seems to be, as Thuryl said, a logical progression; there isn't a 'gosub' command as there was in 'Basic'.

The Party activates a Node, it does its function, and the Party continues on, right?

What I am coming to realize is that there are a number of ways to accomplish something, as long as I make sure to use the correct command.

I can't imagine ever using all 3,000 Flags.

This gets to be more interesting every day. ;^}

Quote:
It seems that a 'call', 'jump', or an 'else' are just different ways to 'goto' the next thing you want the program to do, right?
I don't see any difference in what they accomplish.

You are entirely correct that each of these constructs is fundamentally built up from 'goto'. The difference is that each one adds specific rules about how goto is implicitly used. This is intended to make the programmer's life easier, as it saves having to explicitly write out a lot of jumps and labels, and also it is far easier to sit down and read a chunk of code and see how control moves from place to place in it.

While it's true that there is no direct support for subroutines, it looks like you might be able to build your own equivalent by combinations of conditional nodes and nodes which execute other specials. It seems like it should be possible to build up things like loops without too much trouble, if I understand correctly. (I've been referring to the Special Node Reference on Skyle's BoE page.) Perhaps someone else with actual BoE experience can confirm my conjectures.

I'm not a programmer, so writing any code is out of my league; well, excluding 'Basic' 20+ years ago. ;^}

I guess what I was asking for was confirmation that there is no substantial difference in any of the three functions; all redirect the program and that there is no 'gosub' type action, which you've confirmed. Thanks.

The Editor seems easier than I originally thought it would be; it's just learning the 'vocabulary' that seems to be taking time.

Again, thanks,

me

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be doing all right so far, but I'm having a problem with an encounter.

At first I had an overlap of events and figured I should have used a 'One Shot' rather than the 'General' tab for the encounter.

The encounter works fine except...

An Icon appears for the Monster Group but nothing happens until I either move or click on the Party Icon.

When I do, another Icon appears for the Monster Group and I have to do two Battles to accomplish the event.

IIRC, I've had to click on the Party Icon in some Scenarios to make the event occur, but never had two battles, so it has to be something I'm doing.

I've re-written this event a lot of times because I had to get the nodes and encounter right and may just be 'dazzled' by doing things over and over.

If this problem sounds familiar and anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful... well a lot, at least.

Tx, me

Is it a non-enterable space where the encounter takes place? If it is, I've had a similar problem and came up with all sort of terrible work-arounds before just making it an enterable space. You might still have to click the party (or the wait button), but at least it shouldn't appear more than once.

If it's already an enterable space, I'm not sure why you're getting two encounters. I am fairly new to this myself, and don't have anything to offer for that situation.

I'm assuming this is outdoors? If not, I'm completely baffled.

It'd also help me to know what sort of 'overlap of events' you were dealing with and what you did to avoid it. Is it multiple things happening on the same space depending on what has already been done? Or something else?

Initially I had only a series of nodes: place encounter, SDF?, give item, change out terrain and increment flag (set).

This didn't work, until I realized I had to place an encounter - one of the Outdoor Encounters. With that I seemed to get the battle, give item, battle, give item, etc.

Once I switched to the One Shot, everything sequences out as it should except that, as in many other scenrios, I have to move the Party Icon, or click on it, to make the encounter begin, but get two Monster Icons.

Once the initial battle is over and the Party receives the Item, I have to battle the Monsters again; I assume because the second Monster Icon was called.

I was just looking at the sequence of nodes and am wondering: Do I need to have an SDF? node and a SET node if the One-Shot is supposed to be at '0' in the beginning and automatically set itself to '250' unless otherwise specified?

The documentation for the BoE Editor is rather limited in that there isn't any detail for us beginners to read up on. All I can do is to keep trying combinations until I hit upon the right one. ;^{

Tx, me

PS: Sorry, I forgot to add: Yes, it's an enterable space. You stumble across an encampment in a swampy area.

I'm wondering, did you set the node itself as a node to call when combat begins in the encounter window? Theoretically, that might cause exactly the scenario you are describing, but I've never tried it.

I theorize it would go something like this: the first encounter is placed by the one-shot. When the encounter begins, it would call the node again. Since the first encounter was not over, the second encounter would be created. At the end of the first encounter, the flag would be set. Then the second encounter begins, checks the flag, and does not replicate. Then you finish the second encounter and the flag is set again, to the same thing.

That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of that might result in two and only two creations of an encounter.

If this isn't the case, I'm once again stumped.

That's exactly what's happening, but I can't remove either and still have the event occur.

On the space of grass I have two icons.

One icon is the 's' to indicate that I have placed a special there. That special is the node that calls the 'Place Outdoor Encounter'.

The other icon is the (pi) icon to indicate that I have placed a One-Shot special encounter there.

The One-Shot special encounter window asks what node is called when the encounter begins. The node that is called is an 'SDF?' node which checks to see that the event hasn't been called yet and then jumps to the 'Place Outdoor Encounter' node which only displays a message.

So, yes, I have redundant calling of the event, but I've tried removing either one or the other and the encounter won't occur unless they both are there.

Again, once I complete the duplicate battles, the reward is given, the terrain is changed, the Flag is set to 250 and the event is over.

It seems that because the Party is standing on the Special Node, and that the event doesn't occur until I either click on the Party Icon, or move it, that's why I get a double battle.

I'm sure that if I keep trying different combinations, I'll eventually figure it out.

again, thanks

me

A workaround would be to have the first node check the flag, then immediately set it before creating the encounter. You could then make the encounter starting special check the flag, and set it back. But since it sets it then instantly begins the encounter, it wouldn't replicate. And since you set it back to zero, or 1, or whatever it was originally, the node called at the end of the battle should still work.

Again, theory, but it sort of makes sense, to me at least.

-----------------------------

After re-reading your above post, I noticed you say you have a normal outdoor encounter appear on that spot? I'm pretty sure you don't need an outdoor encounter on the space, as there is a difference between outdoor wandering encounters and outdoor special encounters. I'm not sure if that would have any effect, but if the above doesn't work it might be worth investigating...

To clarify the encounters:

I have two icons on the patch of grass, (space).

One is from the drop-down menu; Outdoors/Outdoors Special Encounters; that's the 'pi'.

The other is a Node: One-Shot/One-Time Place Outdoor Enc.; that's the 'S'.

I couldn't make the encounter work with only a Node, (Special), to step on. After examining what I had/hadn't done, I used the Outdoors Special Encounter from the drop-down menu.

The encounter works, but I'm getting a double encounter. So, I removed one and the encounter wouldn't work, I put it back and removed the other; it still wouldn't work. The only way I can make an encounter happen is to have both the 'S' icon and the 'pi' icon on the space.

If a One-Shot Special automatically increments to '250' upon completion, maybe I don't need to specify an 'SDF?' or a 'SET FLAG' node?

I'm going to just start making changes until I, hopefully, hit upon the right combination.

tx,

me

On the space of grass I have two icons.
One icon is the 's' to indicate that I have placed a special there. That special is the node that calls the 'Place Outdoor Encounter'.
The other icon is the (pi) icon to indicate that I have placed a One-Shot special encounter there.
...what? This doesn't sound right.

The One-Shot special encounter window asks what node is called when the encounter begins. The node that is called is an 'SDF?' node which checks to see that the event hasn't been called yet and then jumps to the 'Place Outdoor Encounter' node which only displays a message.
...uh... this doesn't sound right either...

It might help if you posted a screenshot!

...But I actually think I know what your problem might be.

Okay, to make a one-shot outdoor special encounter, you need to do the following things (assuming you start over):
  1. Choose "Outdoor Special[/i] Encounters" from the Outdoor menu.
  2. Each encounter has a number near the top of the dialog. Make note of this number.
  3. If you want the encounter to no longer be triggered after a condition is met (eg. afterthe party defeats the encounter), choose a Stuff Done Flag, and put that in the two fields at the bottom right.
  4. Set the monsters. You'll probably also want to enable both checkboxes in the top right.
  5. You wanted something to happen when the party defeats the encounter, right? So click the middle "Create/Edit" button (special to be called when party wins), and design your node chain. You'll want to set the SDF from two steps earlier to some value other than 0 as well as giving the reward item.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Now, place a special node on your space. (There should not be a "pi" icon! That's actually a little image of an animal, possibly a wolf, and indicates that a wandering encounter may randomly appear on that spot.)
  8. Choose the node type and fill in the fields. The encounter number is that number you took note of in step 2.
  9. You're done! smile

Okay, the type of node you'll want may vary. If you choose to use a "One-shot Place Outdoor Encounter" (under "One-shots") and assign a Stuff Done Flag, the encounter can only be triggered once. I believe this means that if the party flees, they won't be able to fight again. So in your case it sounds like it might be better to use a "Place Outdoor Encounter" node (under "Outdoor").

I had done, mostly, what you said except...

Apparently, I selected, "Outdoor Wandering Monsters" instead of "Outdoor Special Encounters".

When the encounter wasn't called, I added the "S" special to the space.

From then on, it looks like the "Special" is being called as it should and so are the "Wandering Monsters" because the event sequences out, and that's why I'm getting the wrong Outdoor Encounter.

I had all the right information in the data boxes for the Special Encounter; created the monsters I wanted, Nodes called and SDF?. I was just using the wrong Encounter.

I don't see a way to erase the Wandering Monsters. There are Tool Icons for placing, editing and erasing a special, but I can't find a way to erase that 'pi', (wolf??), icon. I hope I don't have to delete the entire Outdoor Section and start from scratch, do I?

Coincidentally, I just had a routine eye exam yesterday. Maybe now I'll pay more attention to reading the wording in the drop down menus. ;^{

again, thanks a bunch,

me

Since I couldn't find a way to remove the icon, I used the drop down to display the "Outdoor Wandering Monsters" window and changed all the values to -1, including resetting the "Monsters in encounter" to "Empty".

I played the encounter again and still get two battles.

I verified the proper information in the "Outdoor Special Encounters" window was right and that there is an "S" on the space that calls the "SDF?" as the first node, followed by the "One Time Place Outdoor Enc." node which displays a message and calls "Special Outdoor Encounter '0'"; all other boxes are set to -1.

When the Party wins "Special Outdoor Encounter" window calls the "Give Item" Node, the "Change Terrain" and the "Set Flag" Node to 250, end of loop.

I really don't want to make a whole new Outdoor Section, but I'm filling up the Recycle Bin with a LOT of *.exs files. ;^}

I'll keep trying to figure what the problem is.

In the meantime, thanks to all for the help,

me

I don't see a way to erase the Wandering Monsters. There are Tool Icons for placing, editing and erasing a special, but I can't find a way to erase that 'pi', (wolf??), icon. I hope I don't have to delete the entire Outdoor Section and start from scratch, do I?
No you don't. When you place Wandering Monsters on the map, all the ones that were there before are erased.

Originally Posted By: *Milu*
The other problem sounds strange. Maybe you have accidentally put two "s" specials on the same spot?
Well, if this is the case it should be simple to find out: use the "Choose Special" tool (the one with a pencil and a circle) to click on the space. Click OK. If there is more than one special on the space, then you'll have to click OK again. The way to fix that would be to note the number of the special, erase it, and use the Choose Special tool to put it back.

*Milu*: That's easy; we've all found 'Secret Passages' that hide goodies. I'm just trying to learn the BoE Program. I made a swampy region with some Monsters in it to make and encounter. It's 'strange' all right. I placed an, "Outdoor Wandering Monsters" on the space instead of an, "Outdoor Special Encounter". If I can find out how to erace the original mistake, it looks like the event will happen as it should.

*See above; I have the Wandering Monsters and a Place Special Node in the same place. Even 'zeroing' the Special Monsters window doesn't seem to eliminate the call.

*CM* It appears that there is only the one Special. Using the "Set/Place Special" icon you suggested, I get a small window asking which Node should be called. Erasing the number in the asking window doesn't really remove the Special; using the eraser/dot icon does. Then using the single dot, (edit special), will bring up the next unused node in the series; (ie a new Special), indicating that there is no Special there to edit.

There are two calls occupying the space: one is the "Outdoor Wandering Monsters" icon, (the pi - wolf thingy-do), and the 'S' icon indicating that there is a Special Node there.

I'm about out of bullets here. I just brought in some firewood to get away from this for a while and decided that I'm going to place a different encounter near this one and see if it comes out right. If so, that ought to prove that I have a corrupted space there.

Again, thanks a bunch,

me

Same thing with a different location, too.

The Outdoor Special Encounter window has the same information as the Nodes.

The first node is Node 3, (SDF?) which calls Node 1, "Place Outdoor Encounter" which has a message and defines Encounter '0'.

If the Party wins, call Node 2, (give item), call node 4 (clear terrain), call node 5 (Set Flag), no more encounters.

It's the double battle I don't understand.

I'm baffled.

I think I'll let it sit for a few days until I get an inspiration.

Thanks all for the help,

me

If I can find out how to erace the original mistake, it looks like the event will happen as it should.
I mentioned how to do that in the original post: when you place wandering monster locations, they replace the ones that were there before.

*CM* It appears that there is only the one Special. Using the "Set/Place Special" icon you suggested, I get a small window asking which Node should be called. Erasing the number in the asking window doesn't really remove the Special; using the eraser/dot icon does. Then using the single dot, (edit special), will bring up the next unused node in the series; (ie a new Special), indicating that there is no Special there to edit.
Then you can put back the special node using Set/Place Special if you recall its number. If you don't remember its number it should be simple to look up.

Could you post the node chain here? That is, the number and type of each node, and the values that are set for it, including which node is called next. Also, are nodes being called from the encounter itself? That is, did you set a node to be called when the encounter begins?

First, the (pi, wolf) icon is still on the space, but I've taken all entries to (-1) on the set-up window for it, so it should effectively have no effect on the space.

Second, I did the same thing, (removed all entries), to all the Nodes and Outdoor Special Encounter items and then Saved the Scenario, just as a matter of 'cleaning' everything.

Then, in the order as you described, I used the drop-down menu for the Outdoors/Outdoor Special Encounter window and set the following:

Encounter '0', Monsters can't flee and Encounter is forced are both checked, I chose two sets of Nephil Archers and One Nephil Chief, Special called when encounter starts (3), Special called when Party wins (2), Special called if Party flees (-1), Stuff Done Flag to eliminate encounter (157, 1)

The Nodes are:

Node 1: Place Outdoor Encounter, Message (0), Encounter (0)

Node 2: Message (3), Give Item (280), Jump (4)

Node 3: SDF? (157, 1), At least 5 Call (-1), Less than 5 Call (1)

Node 4: Change out Terrain (X=14, Y=22), Terrain change (2), Jump (5)

Node 5: Set Flag (157, 1) Value to 6

Finally, I 'Set/Placed a Special, (dot with a pencil)', on the space and identified it as Node (3), the SDF? to assure that the encounter had not yet happened.

As I understand it, Node (1) only gives a message and calls the 'Outdoor Special Encounter' window. The Party wins, so Node (2) is called and everything sequences out, eliminating any future encounters here, Y/N?

I had even installed this same set-up 5 spaces to the right of the problem space just in case the space was 'contaminated' and got the same results: The encounter works except that when the Party lands on the space a Nephil graphic appears along with the initial message but nothing happens. As happens in other scenarios, I have to either click on the Party, or move the Party to start the encounter and, it appears, because the Party is standing on the space, a second Nephil icon appears along with the initial message and the battle begins. Once the first battle is over, the Party receives the Item as the Nodes sequence out, but I still have to battle the second group of Nephil. That done, the encounter is over.

I'm beginning to feel that it's not what I've written, but rather the way that the Player must move the Party Icon to make an encounter begin.

Again, thanks for staying with me. I seem to be doing all right with everything else, but just can't seem to see anything wrong here.

Tx,

me

First, the (pi, wolf) icon is still on the space, but I've taken all entries to (-1) on the set-up window for it, so it should effectively have no effect on the space.
*sigh* I've told you twice how to remove that. You're right that as-is it won't affect the encounter, though.

So. Remember how you placed it in the first place? You click on the appropriate toolbar button, right? Then, you scroll to the place you want to place a wandering monster spawn location, and click. Repeat the previous sentence three times, with three different locations. Then when you come back to the encounter space, the wolf icon will be gone (unless that space was one of the four you clicked on).

Encounter '0', Monsters can't flee and Encounter is forced are both checked, I chose two sets of Nephil Archers and One Nephil Chief, Special called when encounter starts (3), Special called when Party wins (2), Special called if Party flees (-1), Stuff Done Flag to eliminate encounter (157, 1)

The Nodes are:
Node 1: Place Outdoor Encounter, Message (0), Encounter (0)
Node 2: Message (3), Give Item (280), Jump (4)
Node 3: SDF? (157, 1), At least 5 Call (-1), Less than 5 Call (1)
Node 4: Change out Terrain (X=14, Y=22), Terrain change (2), Jump (5)
Node 5: Set Flag (157, 1) Value to 6
Finally, I 'Set/Placed a Special, (dot with a pencil)', on the space and identified it as Node (3), the SDF? to assure that the encounter had not yet happened.
Ah. Thought so. I think I see your problem.

So. The party steps on the space, and node 3 is called, correct? It checks SDF(157, 1). Since it is 0, it calls node 1. Node 1 displays message 0, then places encounter 0. I don't know why you have to pause before the encounter starts, but anyway...

...you pause, the encounter begins. At this point, node 3 is called (because you set that to be the node called when the encounter begins). Node 3 checks SDF(157, 1) again – it's still 0. So it calls node 1, which places a second copy of encounter 0.

You fight the monsters and win. At this point, node 2 is called (because you set that to be called when the encounter is won). Node 2 displays message 3 and gives item 280, then calls node 4. Node 4 changes space (14, 22) to terrain type 2 and then calls node 5. Node 5 then sets flag (157,1) to 6.

Now you're back in the outdoors. There's a second copy of encounter 0 already spawned, so when you pause, it begins. Node 3 is called, but this time SDF (157, 1) is 6, so it terminates. You fight the monsters and win. Then I'm guessing node 2 is called again, you see message 3 and get a second copy of item 280, and then... it ends.

As I understand it, Node (1) only gives a message and calls the 'Outdoor Special Encounter' window. The Party wins, so Node (2) is called and everything sequences out, eliminating any future encounters here, Y/N?
So basically, this is your problem. Technically, you're correct here; however, in practice, node 1 is effectively calling the node set to be called when the encounter begins – which is node 3. This is true in general, but it doesn't guarantee that that node will be called as soon as the encounter appears – it'll only be called when the party meets the encounter.

Anyway, it should be simple to fix. Edit the encounter and set the node to be called when the encounter begins to -1. This should solve your problem. This may make the SDF check of node 3 redundant, but that's not really important – it should be safe to leave it in.

As to the *sigh*: I was concerned about the noding problem with the encounter and didn't want to fool with the wolfy icon, especially since it wasn't affecting anything once it was 'zeroed'.

As to the "pause before the encounter begins": Once I realized I had installed the Wandering rather than the Special Outdoor encounter, the noding sequence brought up the encounter, but nothing happened until I either click on, or move the Party. I guess I didn't phrase the question properly, but although the problem was something else, this 'pause' helped to confuse the issue.

As to the "simple to fix": Reading what you explained, I can see that there should not be a 'call' of Node 3 in the Outdoor Special Encounter; this makes a double 'call'. I don't know why I put it there, but it's gone now and the event occurs as it should.

All that I have done is to remove the 'call 3' and install the '-1' in its place. Everything works as it should.

I still have to click on the Party, or move them to start the actual battle, but as I've said, that happens often in some/many scenarios. It's only an inconvenience as it doesn't actually affect anything except the Player.

I also removed the "pi/wolfy" icon so it looks like the Scenario Event is now programmed properly and I've added another lesson to my memoirs.

Thanks a bunch,

me