Rakshasa

Unrulyevil5

I've heard from people who claimed to be able to capture Erika or Rentar in a soul crystal. I've never done it myself.

Creatures that split when hit, like doomguards, are also completely immune to Capture Soul, by the way. (This is a good thing, because if a friendly creature splits, the new creature created by splitting will be hostile!)

Why? It has no effect on Erika herself. She's powerful, but simulacrum isn't all that great a spell no matter what you put in your soul crystal. It doesn't break the game and there's no plot reason to forbid it.

—Alorael, who could see making Rentar-Ihrno resistant to having her simulacrum used against her. In the end, though, it's just not significant enough to matter.

Originally Posted By: Unrulyevil5
I don't know why a friendly doomguard would be suddenly hostile when hit. If it was on your side in first place then why would it just attack you when it is hit? I don't understand

It's a bug. Basically, the game doesn't ever expect you to have splitting creatures on your side in combat, so split creatures are generated as hostile without checking the friendly/hostile status of the original.

The original doesn't turn hostile. Every new monster generated needs to have its combat personality set, and monsters created by splitting are set to be hostile.

—Alorael, who assumes that this is because splitting sets the creature to the default hostility. If you make a townsperson split on hit and hit it, do you get hostile townspeople?

More precisely, split creatures are always Hostile Type A, regardless of the default and non-default AI settings of the original. The BoE Arena folks did some testing on this when we were trying to balance Splits When Hit as an ability for arena monsters; it ended up being impossible for precisely this reason.

You could presumably get through combat with only one splitting participant by having it be the Hostile A, but that would be problematic with two splitters. I'm sure that was considered, and it's years too late anyway.

—Alorael, who actually could see that being useful in the right situation. If you have to defend an ally so he doesn't split into hostile versions of himself it could go well. The problems, of course, come down to lack of scripting, terrible AI, and the balance of an ally who needs to be hittable but also scary when split.

Originally Posted By: Invisible until in motion
You could presumably get through combat with only one splitting participant by having it be the Hostile A, but that would be problematic with two splitters. I'm sure that was considered, and it's years too late anyway.

Yes, that was the sticking point. We did allow it in one special tournament between seasons, under the rule that if two splitting monsters faced each other, both abilities would cancel each other out.