Editor bug(s)

There are a few bugs in the latest version of the editor. First and foremost is that buttons often do not respond correctly – it seems that they get stuck in their hilited state. This applies to ordinary buttons as well. They still respond fine when pressing Escape or Return.

When clicking a checkbox, sometimes random text appears and the click does not register.

Finally, when clicking on a Choose button, the font changes. smirk EDIT: This might affect other buttons too – I just noticed the Quit button had a different font than some of the other buttons.

The latter two bugs are the same; in fact nearly every control which draw text in the editor does this. I've tried to fix it, but it's somehow tied into Jeff's nightmarish custom dialog system. The first I'd never seen before, but again it's part of that same subsystem. My last attempt to fix this broke every single control in the application, so I gave up, and have gained no insight since then.

You may notice how maddening it is to try to enter scenario intro text; when you click, the font changes, so the cursor doesn't tend to land in the text where you intended.

While I wish I could fix this stuff, I haven't had much success in the past. I fear all that I can offer is the advice that we all just live with it for the foreseeable future. Sorry.

I just discovered that the 3D Editor (uh, I think I have the latest version, but I haven't updated in, like, at least a year) doesn't reproduce a graphic glitch that appears in the real game.

If a corner of two walls is on a spot that is elevated, BoA shows the cliff in the next room over, though the 3D Editor does not. See Nobody's Heroes, town 6, space (25,21) as viewed from, say, (22,24) as an example.

You can edit intro text boxes in a hex editor easily enough, most editors are freeware too. In Hexplorer you would use Edit > Paste external text > As hex numbers. You don't need to know hex to edit the text inside the editor. There is a right hand column where the text is displayed in normal format.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
That feature would be quite nice... but intro text is just kind of a mess.

And while we're at it, could we get a "Make Scenario" button, Niemand? tongue

I second this. You could throw in a bunch of graphics, one or two lines of text, and a rambling plot description, and 2-3 months later, you get a scenario. tongue

@Celtic Minstrel: I think have fixed the latter two bugs you noted. (It turns out that they weren't the same, but were closely related.) The problem was that there was an entirely separate function (which I had never noticed before) which was sneaking in extra behavior when buttons are pressed. However, I couldn't recreate the first bug you described, could you maybe explain what you did to cause it?

@W-Dueck: You could not have had the second of CM's errors occur in iTunes. The bug was in the Macintosh 3D Editor code, which doesn't even use the same graphics library as iTunes on Windows.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
However, I couldn't recreate the first bug you described, could you maybe explain what you did to cause it?
There's not much to explain. I just clicked the button. You can actually see the bug appearing in the second screenshot fragment too, with the random text. Maybe they're linked?

If I recall correctly, clicking the checkbox again sometimes fixed it, or if it was part of a radiobutton set then clicking a different button might fix it.

Actually, I'd say something's happening to prevent the button from being drawn – that looks like the dark background showing through the lighter background.

I suppose this post probably doesn't help much, eh?