A4 - Dispel Barrier spell

mnemt

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
You can also learn it in Harston up in the Giant Lands, but you need Dispel Barrier to get to the spellbook (irony).
I think a few piercing crystal's should bring down the barrier; if I remember correctly, I was low on SP and couldn't afford to cast Dispell Barrier, but I still got the spell.

Quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:
Completing Castle quests before ToM quests? What kind of wacko order did you play the game in?
Well, duh. Dispel Barrier isn't useful immediately after you get it. I just rushed past Almaria and into the Castle, then I did some quests/bought some spells and waited until I could defeat Kolokh without too much trouble (as it turned out, I was able to defeat Kolokh shortly after I got Arcane Summon, and I think the Shade Experiment quest was the first major Castle quest I did).

Quote:
You need to find R-I's first hideout before you can complete that quest. The demon in the ToM is nothing compared to the vahnatai trap in Fort Remote.
You seem to be thinking of Correlea's "kill a shade" quest, which is different from the Shade Experiment quest. Shade Experiment just requires you to attack the shade in Blosk and then run away. I believe you can receive and complete this quest as soon as you go to the Castle.

In the Tower of Magi quest for the demon, just acid spray him and leave the room. When he summons friends, a few lightning sprays will clear the area. Nothing that you cab't do after the Eastern Gallery.

Dispel barrier spell is useful for going back and finishing the Honeycomb. There are some great items behind that barrier. Also in Fort Dranlon and a few other places are a few more items that aren't accessible to piercing crystals.

You can play the game without it, but you miss out on the extras.

Quote:
Originally written by Aaron Kashtan:
Quote:
You need to find R-I's first hideout before you can complete that quest. The demon in the ToM is nothing compared to the vahnatai trap in Fort Remote.
You seem to be thinking of Correlea's "kill a shade" quest, which is different from the Shade Experiment quest. Shade Experiment just requires you to attack the shade in Blosk and then run away. I believe you can receive and complete this quest as soon as you go to the Castle.
Yes, that's what I was talking about. This quest wasn't too hard, but the shade did kill several of my party members (two? three perhaps?) before I was able to hit the shade hard enough and then run away.

Quote:
Completing Castle quests before ToM quests? What kind of wacko order did you play the game in?
Not the only one to complete in "wacko" order;;;I too did a little of the same. For me, I was tired of hacking and solving quests, so I went on and explored territory for awhile, and occasionally completed quests from the new territory. After a respite I returned, rejuvenated.

Quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:
Quote:
Originally written by Aaron Kashtan:
Quote:
Yes, that's what I was talking about. This quest wasn't too hard, but the shade did kill several of my party members (two? three perhaps?) before I was able to hit the shade hard enough and then run away.
I don't think that is this much of a problem. Did you remember to summon some critters? And all the Shades are SO vulnerable to Repel Spirit.

By virtue of me also doing quests in funny order, I ended up having done all the non-linear quests possible in the Great Cave before even taking Houghton's quest to free the Vahnatai from Almaria, so when Correlea kindly asked me to punch the Shade and get some of its nasty flesh to a vial, I was pretty tough. But that is the advantage of us Never-Doing-Quests-In-Creators'-Intended-Order-Players.

Sorry to drag this Dispel Barrier spell up again, but I still cannot get the spell. I completed all of Kellner's quests, and he told me I could go upstairs and get the dispel barrier spell from his chambers, but I have searched everywhere upstairs and cannot find this spell. I found 3 spell books total, but one is behind a barrier that a piercing crystal cannot penetrate, the other two books (one next to the demon room, the other in the south east corner) don't have this spell. I'm already well into the Castle quests, and am really finding that lacking this spell is a problem, but I cannot seem to get it. Any ideas?