So what is hell a firing pit were souls are eaten?

NAH in advernum they cannot be a catholic hell or am i wrong?

OKAY so it would look like hell, fell like hell ,smell like hell, taste like hell , listen like hell but would there be an accurate description of hell by avernites ? And if there is hell and demons there must be heven and angels or god would have just turned around and look at it like a relly big show? (the mubbling hypocrit)

I don't think that the place where demons come from is ever refered to 'Hell' in the Vogel Canon (Easter Eggs aside). The most you get is an allusion to the 'nether planes'. Check out the Encyclopaedia: Demons and Aimee .

EDIT: Ah, seems I'm repeating what Diki and Alo have said. Oh well, my links are prettier.

--------------------

Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California.

- Edsger Dijkstra

I think it is understood that wherever the demons come from is on a different plane of existence from the Avernite's. It is just another one of those plain old nether dimensions. Nothing to worry about.

It is awfully similar to hell because of the lava and brimstone, but I doubt Jeff intended it to be a Catholic hell. That would be too terrifying.

Probably because Jeff didn't want a religious war, he left it vague. TSR (now a subdivision of Hasbro) got rake over the coals about Dungeons and Dragons. They revised the demons and devils in second edition to placate the parents.

You can reach where they come from by various portals and in Avernum 4 there is some mention that they live on more than one plane since the Tower Colony one was trapped here after the Grah-Hoth incident in Avernum 3.

They did rule Avernum before the humans were exiled from the surface so they must like the place.

It's hell because it's an apparently fiery and unpleasant place filled with demons, who are really just fiery and unpleasant people. Catholics have a similar fiery and unpleasant place called hell (or Hell) as well, but the two shouldn't be confused.

—Alorael, who can't see Beelzebub as a haakai. It just doesn't work.

Sort of, but I think your terms aren't quite right. Demons and hell hounds and such are apparently not native to the world of Avernum, but they can be summoned. They may use magic (or not), but they're not magical. Dragons, humans, sliths, vahnatai, giants, and nephils (and arguably troglodytes) are all magic-using intelligent species, but they're not inherently magical. Okay, maybe dragons and drakes are inherently magical, but they also might just be inherently magic-using.

—Alorael, who doesn't really know what the difference would be between a creature and a magical or semi-magical creature.

Magical creatures are simply those that evidently have a prodigious amount of magic in them, even from their incipiency or birth. Alien beasts, for example, are not magical creatures because even though the species was created by magic, each individual beast does not have the essence of magic coursing through its veins. Unicorns, upper level demons, and pixies are magical.

My belief is that the demons originated in their (uncapitalized) hell dimension and some migrated to the Avernites' for an extended vacation to get away from the agonizingly boring ennui of nothing but lava and fire, not to mention the fact that everything is shaded red. The Vahnatai lived in different cave systems so they did not have too many scuffles, and then the Avernites came and, like rude guests, kicked them back to their own dimension.

I guess my wonder now is whether demons can be created in the normal dimension...