How important is Luck?

Dunbar42

In the geneforge games, I always put a few points in luck at the start. It's also dirt cheap, starting at a cost of 1 point.

In A4, it starts at 4 points! This seems like a really hefty investment. So far, none of my characters have any luck at all. Now I'm wondering if this is a bad move...is luck worth it? And if so, how much?

I've also read that it may increase item drops...is this true? And if so, does it work off the highest luck in the group (like tool use), or off the group's total luck (like lore)?

I read about lucking into secret passages before being told about them, but it never happened to me.

Luck is best in parties of four where you can give it to the fighters. It helped me get fine razordisks in R-I's little trap and 2 fine waveblades when the Vahnatai assassins appeared.

Luck seems to work off the party total, not just the highest level of one character.

If you do not have any luck invested yet, you may be okay. It seems you need a lot of luck at the beginning to get better drops, but less at the end (though higher luck does give better items). Maybe due to percentages and higher monsters being able to drop more/better things?

Even without better items, the resistances and armor that luck provides makes giving two points to each figher (and anyone else who gets hit often) quite worth it, especially at the end when more spells are cast against your party.