I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but...

Xaiya

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
It's fun, you get to make all these moral geneforgish decisions as the bodies pile up around you. Do you stay loyal to the Empire, help Avenites, or join the Darkside.
Does Jeff plan on disposing of most of the Geneforgish gameplay? I don't mean the moral decisions, but the aspects of Geneforge that were...well...very unappealing, such as the lack of an outer world map you travel upon, the AP restrictions, lack of free-roaming as much, and so on and so forth.

In other words, I'm wondering if Jeff will make the game play more or less identically to the Avernum trilogy while keeping the Geneforge style graphics. To be honest, I even want him to dispose of the Geneforge style graphics and return to the Avernum trilogy graphics, but that's probably asking for way too much.

Quote:
Originally written by Synergy:
Are you sure this is new? Mac testing has been going on for three weeks. It's possible more testers are needed at this point.

-S-
Jeff always offers testing to people who have done it before and they get to test the most buggy beginning versions, before he makes a public call for more testers.

Quote:
Originally written by DanielJacksonMPC:
In other words, I'm wondering if Jeff will make the game play more or less identically to the Avernum trilogy while keeping the Geneforge style graphics. To be honest, I even want him to dispose of the Geneforge style graphics and return to the Avernum trilogy graphics, but that's probably asking for way too much.
Most of the graphics and play style of A4 are still there. This is a new area so most of the scale complaints aren't really there. AP system is still being adjusted but it is more Geneforgish than old Avernum.

Quote:
Originally written by DanielJacksonMPC:
the lack of an outer world map you travel upon, the AP restrictions, lack of free-roaming as much, and so on and so forth.
The lack of a world map isn't a Geneforge thing. It's an Avernum 4+ thing, and it feels more natural in A5 than it did in A4. AP restrictions have been improved as in G4. I can't talk specifically about limitations on movement in A5 without going into detail, but I never felt like I really wanted to go somewhere and was arbitrarily blocked.

—Alorael, who thinks the initial analysis of A4 as the shiny new engine and A5 as the great story to go with it was flawed. A5, as it turns out, makes the engine shinier. And yes, there's a nice story too.

The only world map in Geneforge was a zone-like map you use to transition from zone to zone...I'd not call that a world map by any means, at least not in the sense of the Avernum trilogy.

And ah well, then. I guess I'll try out Avernum V...though I'll have to ask people about the plot details of IV since I only played a small portion before getting rid of it out of sheer disgust...

Odds are, though, I'll stop purchasing Spiderweb Software games, if this is the direction they're going in.

This post brings an Internal Service Error.

Quote:
And ah well, then. I guess I'll try out Avernum V...though I'll have to ask people about the plot details of IV since I only played a small portion before getting rid of it out of sheer disgust...

SPOILER!!!

--

--

--

Well, you were imprinted by a crystal made from the vahnatai. You find a vahnatai (and kill it). You get a message in a crystal (but you don't know what it is). And you set out to the castal.

Eventually you get there (Almaria had a shade, you had to go through a different path accross the river).

You get to the castle and the message happens.

You rescue a vahnatai.

You eventually infiltrate a fortess of Rentar-Ihrno west of Fort Remote. You find out she transformed herself into a crystal soul.

You fight her, she escapes. You eventually infiltrate her fort that is where the final boss was in A2 (and an important one in A1).

You kill her.

There is an alternate quest, however.

There is the Darkside loyalists. You infiltrate some of their forts.

You eventually confront the main fort, with its leader, Dorikas.

You fight him, he escapes. Apparently he is following the "true" Empire (you know, the version with the emporer from A1).

I can't remember much about what he says though.

That is about it.

This is the plot that should have been used for Avernum 4. No details, but it makes more sense and is new material. The downside is that the map makes for some block points where you can't just explore. Also moral decisions will limit what you can do later on in the game.

I still think Jeff should let you roam wherever you want and if you go past your level then you die and start over.