Who else hates the job board?

Lattan

I don't really mind the job board. It's not as though most of the quests require a great deal of dialogue.

"Hey, you! Adventurer! I have a letter that I would like you to take to some other city if you're headed in that direction!"

The job board does just as well and makes those minor quests centrally located.

—Alorael, who agrees that having to check back to get all the quests is a significant irritation. It seems to be less dependent on events than on some decision not to let you have too many active quests from the same board.

I suspect that the job board would seem a lot more welcome if you played A4 without it. A4 seems to have FAR more short quests per area than any previous Ex/Av game, and managing them all might become tedious without the board and the job log.

...On the other hand, I wish there were fewer quests, but that they were more complex, particularly the main missions. The quests are mostly formulaic, and dungeons seem watered down compared to previous ones. Where are my Kothtars and my Pyrog Labs, my Abandoned River Forts and Tombs of Dahris-Bok, full of surprises and exciting twists? Even the goblin and nephil maps used to be less repetitive, I feel like.

Come to think of it, G3 had the same plot problems, with a very Lufia-esque, undeviating and repetitive sequence of events...

-- Slartucker, who still really likes the game, despite all his negativity

I'm not irritated by the job board's existence, just its implementation. Centrally locating things can be nice, but having a real dialogue at the end would be nice. Especially for quests involving characters you already interact with.

It seems like this implementation was designed more for respawning or randomly-created jobs, like taking a letter to some randomly-selected person in Mertis or something. But it doesn't do that either. smirk

Quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:
Where are my Kothtars and my Pyrog Labs, my Abandoned River Forts and Tombs of Dahris-Bok, full of surprises and exciting twists? Even the goblin and nephil maps used to be less repetitive, I feel like.
The Mertis Spiral! It used to be an awesome, five-level spiraling maze of horror and undead, with hidden passages anddarkness so that you couldn't see without a light spell.
Now the Mertis Spiral is just two levels of straightforwad undead-killing, which gets very boring after the first level.

Quote:
Originally written by Segrin Bilal:
Are you talking about Exile? Because in Avernum, I seem to remember it really was just a single level that kept spiralling down.

But that was back when they had height. frown

(Or does A4 have height? It seemed like it wouldn't...)
Avernum 2, it got lower and lower as you walked down. Avernum 4, like Geneforge, don't got height. A shame really.