Quests in A6

Barzhal

I don't know, if my answer is valid for all quests, but A6 is more non-linear than A5.

I've already solved quests before receiving them, and nevertheless got "full marks"…

What can happen is, that the story changes in its details. I'm pretty certain, that I didn't meet Levitts expectations at a certain quest he gave me. I solved it by killing people, whom I had better killed later or not at all. My action did solve the quest, but Levitt let me know, that I could have solved it more subtly. I might have missed a reward there - not sure.

Tcheedchee, you're talking about Silvar? It took me three times (and discovering something later when on one of Lark's quests in my second play-through -- first complete one) to figure out the more subtle way of solving that quest. Helped that somebody here on the board mentioned that there was a more subtle way, so I went looking.

But to answer the question Barzhal started the topic with, I think it depends on the quest. Most in A6 seem that you can get credit for completing them even if you didn't have the quest in the first place, but some things you CAN'T do (don't get the option for or find the critical item) if you don't have the quest. For instance, you can't get into the secret upper tunnels of Fort Remote if you haven't picked up the quest from Gladwell.

In general, if you perform the actions necessary to solve a quest, you will get credit for solving it even if you don't take the quest until after performing the actions. For example, for the quest to kill 4 scuttler packmasters, if you kill 3 of them and then take the quest, you only need to kill 1 more packmaster to get credit for the quest.

There are a couple of partial exceptions to this:

1) Sometimes you can't actually perform the actions needed to solve a quest before taking the quest, because required dialogue options don't open up until you have the quest.

2) Some quests require you to collect items from the bodies of a certain type of monster (for example, basilisk skins). You won't start collecting the items until after you have the quest. These monsters do eventually respawn in some areas, so you can never make the quest unsolvable, although you can make it tedious.

Originally Posted By: PhysWiz
I suspect I lost the ability to complete the "Nephilim Rogues" quest near Dharmon. I think I must have killed the Rogues before getting the hint from the farmer. Now this quest is stuck on my list, probably for the rest of the game.

You need to talk to a farmer about them and he mentions a goblin. Finding the goblin body in the mines gives you a key to open the other mine door that will only open for the Abandoned Mines key.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
Tcheedchee, you're talking about Silvar?

Yes, I do.

Concerning Barzhals question
I would like to add, that there are certain persons, who only spawn, when certain quests are collected. So that's the same as in A5. Some quests also only show up, if other quests are solved.
For the overall gameplay I'd say that A6 is programmed more friendly than A5, because one almost never gets stuck in the way one did in A5. I don't think, I'm such a better player by now, that I can handle A6 much better. In A5 I got frustrated so much more often by having nothing left to do, because there were only encounters left I couldn't handle. In A6 one can try a quest, and if it's still too difficult to handle, one can go somewhere else, train some more and come back later.
It confuses me a bit, because I always feel that this makes the story a bit inconsistent. As if an adversary would keep on waiting reduced and wounded for the next encounter with his foe in "real life"! In A6 the foes might heal, but friendly enough, most of the time they don't re-gather more followers or inform their superiors, if you have to escape a fight to survive. So you can return to take them out one by one or, if you can't, take your time returning to that place.
I've reached the Formello area by now, and I havn't had any encounters yet, where it would have been otherwise.

Kreador,

I just keep thinking, maybe I got mixed up. I'm not sure, if I mean the skibbane-eaters at Silvar. Were they Skribbane-Eaters?

I mean the group in the tunnels below the slums of whichever city, – Silvar?, who cause unrest, because they threaten to tear down the bridge on their own at an untimely moment. It's the city that is governed by Mayor Augustus. The commander there explicitely says you shouldn't kill the rebels, because that causes more unrest.

Well, after the dialogue with the leader of the group (who's name I don't recall anymore) I resorted to killing them, because I assumed to be at a dead-end. A little later I stumbled over the Slith infiltrators in the cache not far off, and I realized, that I should have found and killed them first. eek

The story could have went a bit differently then. And after Levitt gave me his gruff remark, it was quite clear…

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
Kreador,

I just keep thinking, maybe I got mixed up. I'm not sure, if I mean the skibbane-eaters at Silvar. Were they Skribbane-Eaters?
I mean the group in the tunnels below the slums of whichever city, – Silvar?, who cause unrest, because they threaten to tear down the bridge on their own at an untimely moment. It's the city that is governed by Mayor Augustus. The commander there explicitely says you shouldn't kill the rebels, because that causes more unrest.
Well, after the dialogue with the leader of the group (who's name I don't recall anymore) I resorted to killing them, because I assumed to be at a dead-end. A little later I stumbled over the Slith infiltrators in the cache not far off, and I realized, that I should have found and killed them first. eek
The story could have went a bit differently then. And after Levitt gave me his gruff remark, it was quite clear…

Not the skribbane eaters; they're under the boatworks. And killing the slith infiltrators doesn't change dealing with Wetzel.
Click to reveal..
If you searched all of the boxes in the traitors' hideout, you might have seen a note that gives you a hint, and when you kill Wetzel, he drops a key that lets you through a door under Fort Avernum. Both of those items can be obtained without killing the people, if you do it the right way. That will lead you to the people behind Wetzel's plot.