Knowledge Brew question

Cave of No Return has a special item called Balu's Exiler which adds 4 to your skill points. This is the only practical case in which this could be done. In order to include it in every scenario, you'd have to hardcode it into the game itself. If you wanted an option to make Knowledge Brews yourself, you'd have to take a Frostbite route which would be too complicated and unrelated to include in most scenarios.

It would be easy enough to add to one scenario, but near impossible to add to the game itself. I'm not really sure I like the idea of being able to do it in just 1 scenario; the idea of people entering a scenario with herbs they got elsewhere just to brew up a bunch of skill points doesn't sit so well with me. Of course if it was a scenario where you don't take the party elsewhere afterwards, then that would be fine.

This might be a dumb question

Is it possible to copy and paste the code from avernum 3 for it? The games look virtually identical and the code seems similar. There doesn’t really need to be a picture in the train window just the ability.

Or could I simply change the statistics for one of the already existing potions. Change the icon and effect of something like curing elixir. Naturally I would rename it and adjust the ingredients it would take to make it.

Originally Posted By: rantalot
This might be a dumb question

Is it possible to copy and paste the code from avernum 3 for it? The games look virtually identical and the code seems similar. There doesn’t really need to be a picture in the train window just the ability.

Or could I simply change the statistics for one of the already existing potions. Change the icon and effect of something like curing elixir. Naturally I would rename it and adjust the ingredients it would take to make it.
I don't think you could easily do this without access to the source code. Sure, you could edit the data (probably in the executable) so that one of the default potions is changed to Knowledge Brew, but that would affect the whole game, not just one scenario. Making a scenario that relied on such a change would be a very bad idea.