Playing at high resolutions

I've only ever played the demos of some older Spiderweb titles (and recently Avadon in a Steam sale, but I didn't like that too much), but I've finally gotten around to buying one with Escape to the Pit, not least because of the promise of animated sprites, the lack of which turned me off older spiderweb titles.

I do not regret my decision.

However, one thing hampers my enjoyment, although it is rather cosmetic. I'm playing the game at a screen that natively runs at 2560x1600 pixels. So far, I fail to find a way to really play the game full screen. Choosing my native resolution, the game plays in a UI frame that I guess measures 1600x1200 pixels. Changing to that solution does not help much, either, as I still end up with screen ratio related black borders to both sides of the screen and significantly blurred graphics due the the scaling up of resolutions by an unsuitable modifier.

Call me superficial, but I'd really love to solve this issue.

Sorry if anyone has posted on this before, but "search" turned up nothing.

If the game is playing inside a small box surrounded by blackness at your native screen resolution, that usually means it's time for a trip to the game's settings screen.

Try this:

1. Go into Avernum Settings from the Main Menu screen of the game.

2. Find the setting labeled: "Game Area Size," under the heading "Graphics and Game Window Size."

3. Cycle through the options until you reach the "Whole Window" option.

This should allow Avernum to draw itself onto the maximum area of your screen. It's not set to "whole window" at first because it might cause performance issues on older hardware. In addition to the whole window and normal options, you can also try an even smaller drawing screen, "small," if the normal setting is too slow.

Yeah, I have been playing half resolution (1280x800) since the very beginning. I don't know if your eyes are much better than mine, but in 2560x1600 I just had no chance in hell to spot objects like swords etc. lying on the ground.

1680x1050 looked like the perfect size for ground objects, but sadly my old WFP3007 does a lousy job of interpolations, so everything ends up rather blurry.