Avernum 6: right-clickling NPCs on Mac OS X

pulverizer

I am running Avernum 6 on OS X 10.5. I previously played the game on my Windows desktop, but decided to try it on my Macbook Pro since I seem to be traveling a lot and it's a good way to pass those idle hours in the hotel rooms smile

Anyway, I realized that right-clicking on NPCs does not seem to work on the Mac version of the game (it does nothing). In the Windows version, it shows the NPC's orientation towards the party (friendly/neutral/hostile), and their current as well as max HP. Is there a different way to get that information on the Mac version of the game?

TIA.

When I first saw this topic, I launched A6 (for the first time ever) and tried Command/Control/Option-clicking; all simply launched me into talk mode. Nor did the L key work as in the earlier Avernum games.

So, I honestly have no idea what the answer could be. I suppose you could always try asking Jeff as a last resort...

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
When I first saw this topic, I launched A6 (for the first time ever) and tried Command/Control/Option-clicking; all simply launched me into talk mode. Nor did the L key work as in the earlier Avernum games.

So, I honestly have no idea what the answer could be. I suppose you could always try asking Jeff as a last resort...

So it was possible in the Mac versions of the previous Avernum games? I wonder why it was taken out of A6, seems like a fairly important functionality. Is there some way to request it be put in during the next update/patch to the game?

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
... you have no interest in the game, but you'll run it to test right-clicking?
I have an interest in the game, otherwise I wouldn't even have downloaded it. I just haven't found the time to try it out yet.

Originally Posted By: pulverizer
So it was possible in the Mac versions of the previous Avernum games?
Yes and no. In the first three Avernum games, as well as Blades of Avernum, "looking" at a monster showed you the name and attitude of the monster, and possibly whether it was wounded (not full HP). Not as much information as you claim A6 offers. ("Looking" was the mechanism used to search objects as well, and involved typing L or pressing the "Look" button, then clicking where you want to look or typing a letter shortcut.)

Originally Posted By: pulverizer
Is there some way to request it be put in during the next update/patch to the game?
Probably only by emailing him directly. Who knows... it's recent enough, he might actually fix it! Assuming it's actually broken, of course.

Historically, Jeff's games have never included right-click functionality on Macs. This made a certain degree of sense years ago, when Apple mice had only 1 button. However, every Mac that meets the system requirements for Avernum 6 has secondary clicking capability, so that is a feature that can be added. Now, the question is whether or not Jeff wants to. tongue