Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Lets Play Blades of Avernum

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic
Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:30 AM #71 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A couple more Vahnatai are found in these caves.... one mad, one not.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:44 AM #72 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Further and further we go, but we're starting to run out of time.  I'm getting worried about these delays.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:10 AM #73 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Into Khoth's lair we go, to negotiate and barter passage to save what precious little time we have left.  We're so close... can we make it?

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:32 AM #74 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Man, I haven't been this angry at a fight for quite some time... but we HAVE to reach the fort!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:37 AM #75 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Our time traveling through Avernum is done, as we head back to the surface to deal with a forest inundated with undead.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:01 AM #76 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Selucia is a city so big that it takes up two screens.  So let's start by checking out the lower section of the city!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:28 AM #77 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

With the lower city explored, we move to the upper city, wherin we learn about our actual quest.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:32 AM #78 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Finally we head out into the Selucia Woods, and start our explorations.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:32 AM #79 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Turns out there's one hilly or mountainous area in this forest.  And it's filled with surprisingly tough goblins.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:33 AM #80 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Further exploration as we look through all the areas to the west of Selucia.  Many undead are about, of course.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:15 AM #81 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A big cavern we find here, filled with skeletons.  Lots and lots of skeletons.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:26 AM #82 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Further exploration of the surface in this episode, as more undead are slain.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:16 AM #83 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

With the surface cleared of as many undead as we can clear out, we finally delve downwards under the forest.  And there are a lot of ghosts down here...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:11 AM #84 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Finally we find the lair of the creature controlling the undead.  Now it's time to deal with it...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:33 AM #85 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Okay so we found Vahkohs once... let's find him and deal with him again.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:44 AM #86 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Once more slaying to Vahkohs, followed by heading up to tell other people about.... things...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:00 AM #87 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Deeper we go under Vahkohs' fortress, into halls that rapidly become quite annoying.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:03 AM #88 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Down, down we go to the deepest cavern, to finally end the undead lord.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:32 AM #89 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A very short episode here, as we finish up the last included scenario in Blades of Avernum.  Next?  We start the player-made scenarios...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:01 AM #90 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

This episode could admittedly be skipped, as I am going to be demonstrating one of the utility scenarios I will be using behind the scenes.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:05 PM #91 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I finally watched an episode because you got to something that I made. Man, the last time I released an update to the HLPM was almost ten years ago (and the last time I did something significant to it was a couple years before that). This is a blast from the past.

A few idle thoughts:

1) I stopped updating the Library after a while, so it's missing a ton of later scenarios. But it has early scenarios, up through roughly 2007.

2) Apparently I tinkered with Machrone's dialogue after I last uploaded a version of the HLPM, because the version I have sitting on my computer has a bit more to it than what you saw. Interesting. (And yes, you did see Machrone before. He appears in Buzzard in A Small Rebellion and in Seleucia in Diplomacy With the Dead. You will see him again in nearly all of my scenarios.)

3) Lol at the "easy" combat in the Arena. It's easy in the sense that the monsters are a good deal below your level, although by the time you're level 36, they're still relatively high-level creatures. (Level 30, I believe.)
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:13 AM #92 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A second episode looking at a few more scenarios listed as Utility.  One thing I will say... one is actually QUITE interesting.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:39 AM #93 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Alright, we've finished the included scenarios, we're checked the utilities, and now we're going to start on the player-made scenarios.  And we're starting with Bahssikava, created by Kelandon.  I do hope you don't hate how I play it or such, and enjoy my playthrough.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:28 AM #94 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A longer episode here, because I did NOT expect that bit at the end at all.  Well done.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:09 AM #95 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Into the caves we go to clear them out for the Prophet.  And now the difficulty is beginning to be seen...

Spoiler

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:55 PM #96 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

"Whoa! Okay! I did not expect that to happen!"

I'm really looking forward to the altar fight.
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:24 AM #97 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostDintiradan, on 18 February 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

"Whoa! Okay! I did not expect that to happen!"

I'm really looking forward to the altar fight.

WHICH Altar Fight?  >:3

Okay, I give props for a clever idea, but something about the execution....

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:52 AM #98 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Pushing our way through frustration to get... another quite impressive cutscene.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:29 AM #99 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Down we go, into the caves where the gates blocking the way are located.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:36 AM #100 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is only the beginning...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:35 AM #101 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Rage... Frustration... Irritation... Infuriation...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:36 AM #102 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I haven't been this angry at a game on screen in a very, VERY long time, if ever.  Well done Kelandon.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:01 AM #103 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

After all the rage and anger from the last three episodes, this one I'm just... tired and frustrated.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:45 AM #104 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

So I fell off watching for a bit, but I started getting curious because of all the, you know, rage. I have a few comments.

* There's a walkthrough packaged with the scenario (HINTS.txt). You may want to look at it.

* The current version of Bahssikava has a kind of raw, not totally polished feel to it. (For example, being able to rest in the Deeps but not being told anywhere in Ancient Bahs that you can rest in the Deeps.) The reason for this is the sort of odd creation history of the scenario; it was my first, and I didn't really know what I was doing, and I added a bunch of things after release to respond to various criticisms. Pushing on every corner, backtracking a lot just to check on things, and that kind of thing will definitely be a part of what you have to do.

* This scenario wants you to be pretty darn sneaky and not accept much of anything at face value. That thing you did where you just ran past the slith avatars to get to the Catacombs? Do more of that kind of thing. Try to figure out what you actually must do (e.g., get to the Catacombs) and what you can skip past (e.g., fighting the slith avatars). This will become much, much more important as you work your way through the Catacombs.

* Put another way, the usual signals from Spiderweb games don't work here. If you find that as you walk a particular way, you encounter something that kills you, that doesn't mean you shouldn't walk that way (as it ordinarily would in a Spidweb game). Instead, it means that you need to be sneakier about how you walk that way. A few reloads will inevitably be necessary, especially in the Catacombs.

* You're going to encounter more slith avatars very soon. Remember how you dealt with them the first time you encountered them.

* The scenario is a lot easier at level 45 or even level 50. You don't have to do the same kind of sneaking. (To be honest, at this point, my favorite way to play Bahs is with a god party.) But you will be able to finish it at level 35.

* Your tactics are getting better, but they're still sub-optimal. Acid doesn't really do anything for high-level parties and high-level monsters. Summoning is of limited use; I would rarely recommend it. Buffs are critical; you need to be blessed and hasted basically every moment of every combat. Invulnerability is incredibly powerful for high-level parties; you can get it from your potions and from Arcane Shield (albeit very temporarily). Where they can be used, Capture Mind and Simulacrum are very powerful for high-level parties. (You should be using Simulacrum way, way more.) Cloud of Blades, as you're finding, also does pretty well for long combats at high levels.

* At the beginning of fighting new types of enemies (e.g., your first encounter with slith ghosts), take a minute to experiment with spells to figure out the enemies' immunities. If I remember correctly, the slith ghosts are almost entirely immune to magic and poison/acid, but they're pretty vulnerable to fire. So, right now, spells like Divine Fire and Fireblast will do much more for you than, say, Lightning Spray or Divine Retribution. (They're also vulnerable to melee, as nearly everything in this scenario is, so Cloud of Blades is pretty much always a good first offensive spell.) But this will change as you encounter new types of enemies later on.

* As you found in the fight at the entrance to the library in Ancient Bahssikava, taking advantage of the shape of the room is important. If you are fighting monsters that are very strong in melee but not strong at range — as is generally true of nearly everything in this scenario — then getting them trapped in a cramped corridor will prevent them from doing tons of damage to you. Even better if you have bows or slings or something — then I might actually summon some stuff to get bodies in the way while I snipe at them from a distance. But generally tight corridors are going to be your friend here. You don't have to fight monsters where they are; see if you can lure them into a corner where they can't attack you as easily.

* I was just so accustomed to head-bashing on every possible wall at the time that I made Bahssikava that it didn't even occur to me that a person wouldn't find the tunnel from the Deeps to Ancient Bahssikava. I don't think there is anything else like that in this scenario, but you'd probably do well to step into every nook and cranny you find, just in case.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Tarsus Tarsus

Citizen

• Member ID: 866
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:42 PM #105 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I've just been catching up on these latest Bahssikava episodes. It's funny hearing how people pronounce names so differently with stresses on different parts of the word.

I'm surprised how much trouble you have been having though. I vaguely remember having some frustration in a few areas my first time playing too, but nothing like what you are having. I don't think I have ever taken a new party straight from Diplomacy to Bahssikava though. I would always play some other scenarios first. I haven't played Bahss at the recommended level in a long time.

Kelandon is right about your tactics. The completely straight-forward and simple approach that got you through the early scenarios isn't going to work very well in the player made scenarios. Player mods for games are almost always harder than the original, and BoA is no exception. There are more difficult combats ahead in just this scenario, and much harder in other scenarios. I remember having an incredibly difficult time with the combat in Frostbite. If you are having this much trouble already, consider making some changes. Use the character editor to raise yourself 5 or more extra levels. Or try lowering the game difficulty. I would think no less of you if you did. And I wouldn't even think of taking your party straight from Bahssikava into Exodus as it is.

Depending on how far you have already recorded, there will be a laser puzzle in your future. It will be far more pleasant to deal with if you turn off the sound in the options of BoA.

As for your complaints about the design other than the combat, you are partly right, but also partly exaggerating here. Like the altar fight, yes it is true that you weren't explicitly told you had a ritual of stinkification, but as someone who played the other Avernum games, when you see an evil altar you should automatically think of the ritual. That was my experience anyway. And the tunnel you had trouble finding. Yes, it probably should have been made more obvious, but if you look at the map, that area does stick out kind of conspicuously. Or finding out you could rest there. No, the player isn't told, but when I played I wasn't expecting to be able to rest deep into the caves, and when I did find out, it was a welcome relief not a point of frustration.

You are moving into the player made scenarios now and you need to adjust your expectations. You probably know this already, but I still feel the need to say it. Most designers were very young when they made these, and had never done anything like it before. They weren't seasoned, professional game designers. It's just like Kel said, it was his first scenario and he didn't know what he was doing. You are going to find a lot of rough edges the more scenarios you play, and in more than one area of design. Just wait till you see the writing in TM's scenarios.

I don't know how much you know about the history of BoA, but it suffered a lot of negativity in it's prime. People flippantly trashing something an author put hundreds or thousands of hours of work into making. Bahssikava and Exodus in particular received more than their fair share of that negativity already. In these late days, the BoA community is on life support (I refuse to call it dead yet). The last thing it needs is a fresh dose of vitriol. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture.

Also, about your lets play, you might consider changing the order of the scenarios you are planning to play. If you want to play all the ones that are directly related to each other first, you will be front-loading your lets play with some of the biggest, meatiest, and best (I think) scenarios. You should definitely follow their order, but you don't have to play them back-to-back. You might want to play some fluffier and smaller scenarios in between. If I remember right, Bahssikava and Exodus are the two longest player made scenarios. Smaller but still meaty are Canopy, Echoes, Magus, Backwater, Where the Rivers Meet, Tales and Frostbite. I'm pretty sure Of Good and Evil is long too, but I still haven't played through it myself (sorry Bain). Actually, let me contradict myself a little, HIM and HIM Wolf should probably be back-to-back.

One last thing. Just chill out squire. If you are already this pissed off so early into your first scenario, you are going to give yourself a hernia by the end of the lets play.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Blades of Avernum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users