Matala

Read Synergy's Insidious Infiltrator and Thuryl's Shocktrooper and Lifecrafter threads for ideas. It's a long fight and usually involves some abuse of the AI. Be sure to destroy the regenerationg pylons and turn off the vats before starting the fight.

It depends upon your character. A single character has trouble unless you can do massive damage per round. Melee attacks usually curse you.

I could give more specific advice if I knew what class and build you were, but here goes.

Be sure to find and destroy his restoration pylons before you attack him. He's most vulnerable to magical damage, so wingbolts and gazers are your friends. Watch out for the drakon at the end. Really, it's just a matter of bringing enough essence pods and healing spores to stay alive while you slowly wear him down.

The cheap way to beat him is to surround him with creations so he can't run away to the next part of his complex when he's taken enough damage, but that's no fun.

Thanks for the advice. I'm playing a warrior with ranged shaping backup, currently a gazer and a drayk. I don't really have a huge essence pool to play with at the moment. I'm around level 34. I'm thinking I'm gonna go around elsewhere and come back when I'm stronger. I'm sure a skilled player would have no problem with him in my position, but, alas, I suck.

If you're playing a warrior, it's quite simple. To kill Matala, just clobber him. He will die eventually. If you always die first, go away and come back when you're stronger. The warrior game is quite straightforward that way.

Edit: Personally as a Warrior I wouldn't use so many skill points on creations, I would have bought more endurance and parry.