Geneforge 4 FAQ?

Kennedy

You can ask questions and they may be answered here, but most questions can only be frequently asked after the game in question is released.

—Alorael, who can say that system requirements are somewhat up in the air right now. As usual, Spiderweb does not make heavy demands. As unusual, Universal has apparently thrown things for a loop.

It sounds more like a traditional FAQ is what was requested. With the game being revised between beta testing and release some of the info will be altered. A FAQ probably won't be out until 2 months after release if Avernum 4 was any indication so any info will be in this forum.

I'm going to attempt to put together a file on game mechanics and other useful information, which I expect will take a couple weeks at the most for a first draft. Every time I play one of these big RPGs, I make lots of notes, the equivalent of 3/4 of a FAQ minus the walkthrough section, but I never do much to share them. I've decided I really ought to change that.

On average I find it takes about 1 month of writing and playing to get to a release version of a FAQ, and about another month to finish it. If you're beta-testing, you have a significant leg-up on others, and can have a final version about 1 month after release.

Also, GameFAQs really seems to like Spiderweb FAQs. Be sure to submit it to the "FAQ of the Month" contest. I have won $200 from writing spiderweb walkthroughs (G1, G2, G3, and A4), and I'm pretty sure others have won for A1, A3, and E3.

The five classes are all like the old classes: out of combat, magic, and shaping skill sets, you get one for fewer skill points, one for the average number, and one for more. The one possible arrangement that isn't included hasn't yet been revealed by Jeff, and I'm afraid of the NDA.

There is one new creation of each type and there are two new spells of each type.

There are a few new snazzy graphics.

—Alorael, who could maybe be more helpful if he were more familiar with the older Geneforges. Sadly, he's not.

A Geneforge FAQ will take longer because unlike Avernum, there are different factions that each produce different results. You have to play the game through once for each faction and I think for servile and human to get all the major information. Even then there are item drops that depend upon randomness.