Scenario Editor

Uberdhizon

The Editor is a separate download, and is available for download here.

Since the code for the Editor is available, an improved scenario editor was made, which can be downloaded here. The main improvement of this editor is that the map is displayed in 3D (isometrically), the same way you see it in the game (the original editor displays the map in 2D). The 3D Editor is highly recommended; even if you don't like the 3D view, you can switch back to the 2D view.

If you are a Mac OS X user, you can try Niemand's improved editor, available here. Not being a Mac user, I can't speak for how good it is, but by all accounts it's an improvement over the first 3D Editor.

Good luck designing!

EDIT: Just noticed that you only have the demo, not the full game. You are able to use the Editor even if you don't have a registered copy of Blades. However, you cannot play the content you create unless your game is registered.

Uber, allow me to explain: If your copy of Blades of Avernum isn't registered, then all you can play is the scenario Valley of the Dying Things, the first one by Jeff. That means if you haven't registered, you can't play anything you make, anything anyone else made, or even any of the others Jeff made.

Now the Scenario Editor is only for making scenarios. In order to play them, you need to use the game itself. And if you really want to make one, you need to be able to test it yourself, because beta-testing isn't a way to get around not being registered.

And the reason it says "No Scenario Loaded" when you open the editor is that first, you need to make a new scenario. (It'll be under the File menu on a Mac)

EDIT: For reference, I began writing this before Ephesos' post.

How good of an painter are you? Not a master, I'll bet. If you want to be a great artist, you'll need to practice. Now imagine that every time you made a painting, you were blindfolded. You can guess what your painting looks like, but you'll never see for yourself until the blindfold comes off. Are you really going to give that painting to someone else and expect them to hang it up on your wall?

Making a scenario is unavoidably complicated (though to be fair, it's not nearly as complicated for Blades of Avernum as it is for some other toolkits). No one sits down and designs a scenario, and then tests it. You make a bit, then test it, then make some more, then test again.

I don't want to discourage you. By all means, play with the editor when all you have is an unregistered copy. Get a basic feel for it. You'll want to know what it's like before you shell out your hard earned to register your copy of Blades. Just realize that no one is capable of writing a working scenario without testing it. I program for forty hours a week. Sometimes I write code, but the bulk of my time is spent testing and inevitably fixing it.

If you want to save money, then download Blades of Exile which is now open sourced and free. There are plenty of scenarios and the BoE community has updated the original source code to more recent operating systems. You can then create scenarios and see the results.

The BoA Editor suffers from not only an increased complexity, but less integration. While a computer science person will say that the modularity in BoA is superior to that found in BoE, it can get overwhelming for the casual user. I found that it is far easier to have one application handle everything than having to keep track of numerous files.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
If you want to save money, then download Blades of Exile which is now open sourced and free. There are plenty of scenarios and the BoE community has updated the original source code to more recent operating systems. You can then create scenarios and see the results.

Will it run on OSX? And if so, where would I get that version?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. So that's BoE. Interesting.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
EDIT: For reference, I began writing this before Ephesos' post.

How good of an painter are you? Not a master, I'll bet. If you want to be a great artist, you'll need to practice. Now imagine that every time you made a painting, you were blindfolded. You can guess what your painting looks like, but you'll never see for yourself until the blindfold comes off. Are you really going to give that painting to someone else and expect them to hang it up on your wall?
just to be a smart aleck, beethoven was a greet composer even though he was deaf...

Just to be a smarter alec: Beethoven still had his hearing when he wrote his earlier works. Likewise, it's possible for an experienced designer to create a scenario without testing it. However, the original poster had never designed before, and moreover had just started playing the game itself. Someone blind from birth would be a horrible painter.