scripts?[G5]

I've seen y'all refering to scripts in your posts, but I'm pretty much clueless as to how to run scripts in Geneforge. Is this something one can do at the [D] prompt? Are there scripts I could use to query mechanics or leadership requirements for certain tasks? (Mines echo their requirement when you don't meet it, but not when your skill is adequate!)

Scripts refers to the script folder part of the game folder. In it are scripts (text files)for each zone and dlg.txt for some zones that can be read using a text editor. The game runs these scripts using an interpreter to determine what happens in the zone. Placement of creations that appear when you reach certain spots, text appearing, sign post contents, etc.

Reading through the scripts sometimes allows you to find leadership and mechanics needed to cause certain actions or dialog options.

You can't get all the information that you want, but it helps sometimes with tough encounters to find out if having a certain leadership level will give you another option besides combat.

Oh, I see! So, um, I know that twixx requires leadership 5 to calm, and I'm looking at z1twixx.txt... I can see that he paces (does he?) and attacks and talks, but I can't see the leadership requirement?

Is there a help file or forum post I should look at to tell me what the various talkmodes are, or what the not-so-obvious variables mean?

Thanks again!

Incidently, who_shot_me is a great variable name. smile

The script you should be looking at for things like leadership checks (and most other stuff, for that matter) is the zone script with a name ending in dlg. So since Twixx is in zone #1, you need to open up z1minallahdlg.txt or whatever it's called. Any script named for a character basically just sets up that character's behaviour in combat.

The script format isn't really documented at all, although it's similar to the Blades of Avernum scripting language, so if you're familiar with that you'll mostly be able to work it out.

I'd be really curious to see what that 20 Leadership check is, because most of the ones I've encountered in the game are 11 or less. The high Mechanics checks are probably all for difficult doors which can be unlocked with either a key or a lot of living tools, so you don't really need it that high.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Actually that list is quite different for GF5, when I finish my current run through I will probably make a list for GF5. Though it is almost identical, the number for mechanics and leadership has not changed.
Yeah, poorly worded on my part. I meant that the numbers identifying stats hadn't changed much, not the item numbers.