OBoE scenario editor chaos

lampshade

I'm using XP and whenever I use the OBoE scenario editor I eventually get a message about a memory error (Error number 12) and then the editor closes. Sometimes it makes my scenario unreadable and I have to start over.

Is this inevitable? If yes, anyone know where I can get the original scenario editor? (I tried getting one from the official website, but trying to install it gets me a bunch of errors)

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I tried using it with 2000 and the editor opens, then closes shortly after.

I think the scenario editor comes with the demo of Blades of Exile, which is here.

Oh I've already tried getting it from the demo, the installer just goes CRASH BANG BOOM and somehow damages some of my files.

I have to double post but I want to bring attention to the matter... Right now as I'm typing I'm trying to replicate the crash...

1. I have just generated a scenario, with 1 x 1 outdoor section and 1 medium sized town.

2. Edited town terrain.

3. Placed monster.

4. Edited monster and assigned a personality.

5. Created a personality for said monster.

6. Added dialogue which destroys the monster and creates a portal when triggered.

7. Added another dialogue.

So far so good, usually crashes at this point when I mess around.

8. Added scenario details.

9. Added opening dialogue.

10. Created new town, medium sized.

I was expecting it to crash at this point, I decided to close the scenario editor and reload the scenario. Then I saved to see if it was still working and lo' behold, Error Number 102, then Error number 103, and finally crashed.

I reloaded the scenario to see what's up and it is no longer recognized as a BoE scenario.

This might have to do with the new way the files are arranged, so an older version of the OBoE scenario editor might work. Unfortunately, it's nowhere to be found.

I am on Windows XP and I have experienced no such problem. Maybe try the Compatibility function on the editor, access this by right clicking on the program while in Windows Explorer.

In a Windows scenario, the first four characters in the file should have numerical values of 20,40,60,80. This is what the editor checks for when deciding if the file is a "proper" Windows scenario. If the exs file is opened in the MS-Dos Edit command or in any other hex editor, this is what you should see.

Originally Posted By: lampshade
I have to double post but I want to bring attention to the matter... Right now as I'm typing I'm trying to replicate the crash...

1. I have just generated a scenario, with 1 x 1 outdoor section and 1 medium sized town.
2. Edited town terrain.
3. Placed monster.
4. Edited monster and assigned a personality.
5. Created a personality for said monster.
6. Added dialogue which destroys the monster and creates a portal when triggered.
7. Added another dialogue.

So far so good, usually crashes at this point when I mess around.

8. Added scenario details.
9. Added opening dialogue.
10. Created new town, medium sized.

I was expecting it to crash at this point, I decided to close the scenario editor and reload the scenario. Then I saved to see if it was still working and lo' behold, Error Number 102, then Error number 103, and finally crashed.

I reloaded the scenario to see what's up and it is no longer recognized as a BoE scenario.

I'll check it tomorrow. Could you please send me this scenario file? My mail: Grzegorz.Kowalski@wit.edu.pl (or kowalsg0@wit.edu.pl)

ADOS:

I'm light years behind the rest of you - I still can't function with the scenario editor program - and when I got XP I repeatedly got the "Blue Screen of Death" on any BoE scenario I played, which left me confused and frustrated, simply because of my lack of knowledge.

Thankfully, our oldest son has grown up with computers and programming and he explained to me that XP has the ability to run programs in the '95 and '98 modes. Now I very rarely get the BSOD and if I do, I re-boot the machine and everything is fine again.

Odds are that people who are having problems with BoE are either new to BoE or new, or limited, to operating a computer. We are all good at some things and poor at others.

'twould seem to me that would be the answer to why "people have trouble with the original BOE on XP". It's not BoE or XP, it's the inexperience.

me

lampshade, I tried to recreate the bug by following your instructions but nothing bad happend. I've recorded my efforts so you can see it yourself:

http://rapidshare.com/files/160841939/boe_scenario_creation_test.fbr

(To play this video file you need FlashBack Player from there: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/FlashBackFreePlayer.aspx)