Are there any significant engine differences between A1 and A2?

Hey all, I've recently begun Avernum 2, and it seems like the whole combat engine is pretty much the same. But just to make sure, are there any notable differences?

I'm pretty much just building up my party as I did in Avernum 1, and the only difference I've noticed so far is that Mana is only 3x Int/Priest/Mage, instead of 4x.

Is Assassination still as good as it used to be? Does Strength actually affect damage now, or is it still a tiny effect? Does Hardiness affect encumbrance with regards to wearing armor and AP available?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Does anyone know which one- Intelligence or Priest/Mage Spells- raises spell power more? I've been wondering that since Avernum 1, and I have no idea. I can't even tell if either actually raises spell power at all, but I guess I'll take the game's word for it.

Also, does Anatomy actually increase damage against humanoids? I never noticed a difference, even with 5 levels, but because of the randomizer, it's really hard to tell.

From Schrodinger's A2 FAQ:

Quote:
# ANATOMY: This is an expensive skill. It's worth it though. Almost all the enemies in Avernum are humanoid, meaning you'll always get more damage. It does around about 1 point of damage per skill point invested, but only against humanoids. It affects both melee and missile, but only seems to add .5 points of damage per skill point with missiles. It also affects first aid, if you use it. Buy it when you can or remember. When you get a big batch of cash, go ahead and use it on this. When someone gets a 5 in this skill, you may want to get that mind crystal you found in Chapter 1 and get 3 more free points.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Alex
It's been a while, but I recall that in A1 (on Normal), I could make a "tank" fighter that was very hard to hit, whereas in A2, Defense and Gymnastics >=10 get diminishing returns. My fighters also seemed to approach the damage cap more slowly in A2.

So there is a damage cap! I mentioned it in a post, and I was told there was no such thing! Can you explain it to me?

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Originally Posted By: feo takahari

So there is a damage cap! I mentioned it in a post, and I was told there was no such thing! Can you explain it to me?

max damage you can do to enemy and it seems to be at 200 points except fists.

Which invites the question: how in the name of Grah-Hoth did you get your attack damage up to 200?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...