Killing both Dorikas and Redmark

Apologies in advance if someone has already posted on this subject. After finishing the game the second time, I wondered what would happen if you killed both Dorikas and Redmark. (Plus, I wanted to see what was behind that locked gate in Blackchasm Outpost.

As those of you who have finished the game know, walking out of Dorikas' fortress automatically ends the game, and there is only one entrance and exit. But there is, of course, the "backtostart" cheat, which sends you to Blackchasm Outpost instantly. So after killing everything in the Loyalist fortress, I "popped" back to Blackchasm, unlocked the gate, and killed everything there, including Redmark. (I also gained a new respect for Redmark in the process. He's actually a principled guy, and not just a Machiavellian politician.)

I was hoping for some "third ending" when I walked out of the Inner Blackchasm Oupost, but the game reacted as if my betrayal of Redmark had never occurred. I got the same ending I got when I simply killed Dorikas. I wonder if I had killed Redmark first, "popped" out of the Inner Blackchasm Outpost, and gone back and killed Dorikas, if I would have gotten the "Pro-Darkside Loyalist" ending. My guess is I would. Since the only way to kill them both is to cheat as I did, the game does not provide a third possible conclusion.

It was fun trying, though.

I found it odd that there are named characters in the Inner Blackchasm Outpost, since there is no situation (as far as I know) in which you could actually talk with any of them.

No one else has posted about doing it your way although Bryce lured Dorikas out to the front of his fortress to kill him and prevented the ending from occuring.

Named characters are to differentiate them from generically scripted characters since they have special item drops and sometimes specific attack tactics.

Bryce is more clever than I. I hadn't thought about that possibility.

I always assume "non-civilian" named characters are going to be stronger than the unnamed characters around them, but I had also assumed they had names because they have things to say to you. I hadn't thought about it in the way you describe, but it makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Evnissyen
Matt: How'd you even find Redmark at Blackchasm at the end? For me, he disappeared from Blackchasm sometime toward the end of the game.

Redmark disappears into the inner fort. If you kill Dorikas and walk out the front gate (the only gate) of Dorikas' fortress, Redmark comes running, as you no doubt know. But if, after you've killed Dorikas, you use the cheat code to leave the fortress without walking out the gate, you will find Redmark in the Inner Blackchasm Fortress. Of course, you have to get the quest to kill Redmark from Dorikas first, otherwise you can never get into the Inner Blackchasm Fortress. (Dorikas gives you the key to the inner fortress when you accept the quest.)

BTW, if you didn't attack Ruth in Exodus, you can easily join the Darkside when you meet Ruth just past the Vahatnai gates without much sacrifice. I suppose the "cheapest" ticket to the Darkside is letting Tholmen escape at the Howling Depths, but since I had already killed him, I gave Ruth Solberg's notes. No big loss, since the benefits of joining the Darkside (learning spells from Ruth at bargain-basement prices) far outweighs any benefit you would get by giving the notes to Melanchion or doing something else with them.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to hurt your feelings and sensibilities. But I wasn't the one to figure out how to do the Redmark/Dorikas ending.

Probably there are a number of already-existing choices in the game that you don't like. To kill or not to kill -- that Drake for its skin, the other various "specimens" for Lark, Gladwell, et al.

Making a city mad at you is probably distressing.

Fact is, anyone could modify the ending text if they wanted.

Take this all in good fun...I'm not trying to agitate you. -- OC