Is this right?

Nightowl2

I've been sifting through the board for info on how the damage stuff works. So if I understand it, it goes like this:

For melee, every point of of strength, melee skill, and blademaster adds 1 to the damage dice. So a char with ST 10, Melee 10, and Blademaster 2 would add 22. So a fighter waving a fine waveblade with base 10d3 would have 32d3 damage?

And it's the same for polearms, except you add polearm skill instead of melee? Which means my steel halberd is a better weapon than a lot of the fancier polearms, like the blessed spear?

For bows, it's every point of bow skill and every point of sharpshooter? Anything else add in?

What about thrown weapons? Does strength add to that, or is it just thrown weapons skill?

Is it the same for spells? Every point of Mage/Cleric, spellcraft, magery, and individual spell (firebolt, etc.) adds to the damage dice?

And is there a cap on any of this, where advancing the skill won't give you any more damage dice?

All input welcome. Thanks.

- Nightowl2

You got it. Missile weapons work just like melee weapons except you use Dex instead of Str, and the appropriate weapon skill of course.

There is no cap. So you are very right that the die size is more important than weapon "strength." In Avernum 4 this even led to the odd situation where the stick was sometimes the strongest melee weapon.

You say that's impressive? Ha.

I'd forgotten I'd signed up for the board. Big surprise when I tried to register. Had to have it send me the login info.

Probably I signed up originally to ask a question and then found it already answered.

Just shows how good this board is. I haven't had to ask anything in four years! wink

- Nightowl2

• 2 weeks later...