Avernum V vs Exile

Robsta

As a devout Exile player, I’m surprised at the quality Jeff got in making Avernum V. After playing the demos for Avernum 1 and 2, I decided Avernum was just a cheep rip-off of the quality Exile series, dropping many of the things that made Exile good, area effect spells, food shortage, six player parties.

Avernum V's demo shows me how far its come. Area effect back in (when that happen? IV), new storylines as opposed to copies of Exile's. It also has new ingenuities, combat disciplines and resistances for example. I also like the new talking system, and the character class system.

There are still numerous changes I don't like though, unlimited pack for one - nice to have, but unrealistic. Perhaps this should be something given to easy and normal difficulties. Food - since when did people not need to eat? More to the point, why is the middle of a battle the best time to pull out a sandwich? Resurrection - Gee I wish I would come back to life whenever a friend walks into town. Duel wielding - how am I supposed to make a ninja without 2 swords? Axes - do they still exist? How am I supposed to make a berserker without a great axe? Slings, maces, flails, where did the variety go?

Still, by about Avernum VII, I'm sure it'll catch up to Exile in quality.

A lot of the things you miss got dropped because of player complaints: food, quick raises from the dead, unlimited weight in the backpack, etc.

There are some things that make the latest Avernum better, but I'll always miss dual weapons and some spells. Still Jeff plans to update the Avernum series to the Avernum 6 game engine so there is always hope for more. At least some new places to see in old familar surroundings.

It may not be ideal, but you can always voluntarily limit the amount of stuff you carry in your backpack, force yourself to carry food, refrain from chowing down in battle, and drop gems worth 1000 coins for every party member that revives. In fact, there might even be some interest here in formalizing a set of such voluntary restrictions that would be recognized as reproducing the challenges of Exile as closely as possible.

Avernum IV was also a new plot, though old campaigners here seem to have complained that it was not really new enough.

My what you miss in a few months.

I am also a lover of the Exile series (although that could be debated by some!) frown . I'm glad to see alot of changes in the updates of all of these new games. I know a few people, no matter what, will always be disappointed. smile I also miss dual weapons,but I don't recall any Avernum game to have that ability (I'm not sure as I haven't played any of the games in about 3 months).

Thank you for listening to the rantings of one crazy, bald, eccentric! cool