Soultaker Keys

PhysWiz

Quote:
Originally written by -=microphage=-:
On the subject of keys, I think Gladwell is in this general area. The 1st time I dealt with him and got his key I was able to open all doors that apparently used "shadow keys?". The last time I was only able to open 1 door. Are these related? (Gladwell and Soultaker.)
microphage

P.S. Never accepted the geas.
Are you sure you're remembering correctly? You shouldn't be able to open the shadow-key doors in Gladwell's basement without taking the geas and doing his quests. Even killing him won't let you in: his key only lets you into the room where your geas is stored so you can free yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

I just killed Gladwell (no geas) and wasn't able to open shadow key doors, so you are correct.

But the rewards you get from the first level are pretty good anyways! fine steel, potion materials, rubies and emeralds, some good robes to sell, good equipment.

Also, I was able to gain more experience in 3 spells!

The thing I liked about not being able to open the shadow key doors without the shadow keys was not that I wasn't able to mass loot (after all, I still have a fond memory, in Geneforge 3, of that enormous pile of goods inside the doors of Khyryk's tower)... it was that if I wanted something in Avernum 5 then I needed to make a choice. You make a choice to gain one thing and you lose another thing as a result. I don't remember that from A4.