Soultaker's Pit

brigitta25

I'm in the room underneath the soultaker's pit where "something" takes over one of your characters for a couple of turns and the undead things keep reappearing after I kill them. I have been killing them for almost an hour and they keep coming back. Does anyone know if there is something I am missing or is it just a really time consuming fight?

Don't forget to heal your characters because Soultaker moves around and he doesn't care if your character dies, but you will. Also you should switch to low damaging weapons or none (unequip them) so your possessed character doesn't really damage your party. It takes longer but pays off in the end.

After I get the message that the soultaker seems to be taunting me, I ignore the undead and attack my possessed person for 2 rounds (which is approx what it takes for a hit to register on the soultaker and for it to jump bodies).

I don't apply haste or bless but I do apply steel skin and armor so the attacked doesn't die too quickly. I also move my main fighter to the opposite side of the room. Her attacks are much too damaging for my own characters, and if she gets possessed she uses up all her AP being slowed/running over to the main party.

Hm. I haven't figured this out yet. I've read what you've all said, but my particular foray into the pit isn't bearing fruit. What I mean is, I'm unshackling the possessed PC and "parking" in next to the bony nuisances. They can't seem to hit anyone. Likewise, my own characters can't seem to hit my possessed character. I'm playing on Hard, but I tried bumping it up to Torment to see if they hit better. They do not.

What am I missing?

I also don't understand the concept of unshackling yourself and standing next to a skeleton to get hit. I don't see how that makes sense in an RPG sense. And since the game is rather elevated in terms of its RPG elements, that seems out of line.

Well, here's the thing. If you unshackle the pc, they're no longer possessed, so you're no longer attacking the Soultaker. So you have to leave them charmed and whack away at them... the skeletons won't attack the charmed pc because they're both hostile. This is why everyone's reminding people to de-equip their more damaging weapons.

Hm. I did all that stuff, but it didn't change the fact that I couldn't hit any of my people when they were charmed. I found out that area effect spells were working against... myself. But not more traditional/targeted attacks.

Bah. Either way, I finished the thing off with area effect spells. So, thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally written by playongrass:
I'm just a bit confused with this orb thing...
I got the five hints... Did diagrams... Painted pictures...
Killed about 100 Banshees... still can't get it...

Anyone have any other, more helpful hints for me?
Solution:

The northwest corner should have no orb.
The northeast corner should have an orb with green sparkles.
The southwest corner should have an orb with red sparkles.
The southeast corner should have an orb with no sparkles.

Spoiler -

At least one stand to the north has no orb

Two orbs are sparkling on the diagonal

No sparkles are the same color

A sparkling orb on the north is not red

At least one orb to the south doesn’t sparkle

were what I got as messages

I used -

NW no orb

NE green

SW red

SE no sparkle

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Spoiler -

The sixth hint, by the way, is "There are no blue sparkles". I'm pretty sure that all six hints taken together produce a unique solution.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Spoiler -

The sixth hint, by the way, is "There are no blue sparkles". I'm pretty sure that all six hints taken together produce a unique solution.
I guess there is a 7th then, cause I got one that says, "A western orb has red sparkles"...

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I have had a unique experience with the Soultaker's Pit, I started the fight with the soultaker by doing the uncharm character thing, then

the blasted soultaker kills 3 of my party with my strongest character, then splits off some undead into the room, the Soultaker leaves till I kill the undead, then the Soultaker returns in a "Avernum 4 Style Shade" form, then after awhile of Hacking and Slashing and the Occasional Spell the Soultaker dies normally.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Signed, Chaosjr7

That's what supposed to happen except for the three characters dying. You are supposed to switch to weaker or no weapons and not use unshackle mind to get past the first part. Just keep healing and attack the possessed character until you get to the summoned shades.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door.

If you start with, or are reduced to, a single character, then Soultaker just appears in person, and does not possess you. Otherwise you would just be possessed, end of game. From the Soultaker's point of view that would seem to be a good plan, though; so why doesn't it do that? Perhaps its possession can't actually last more than an hour or so, and the Soultaker is bored with all the things it could do with a possessed victim in that time, except for the never-failing thrill of making a party fight itself.

Or maybe Soultaker is a masochist. It should really go for some counselling, of course, in any case. Tell someone about its childhood. I bet it had a traumatic experience one time, like seeing its dog get run over, while it was possessing the dog.

Hello.

This is what I did. After being forever there,

unshackling minds and killing skeletons, I saw

that I was going nowhere. I loaded the saved game

previous to the entrance to the soultaker's

chamber.

Then, when one of my chars got possesed, I killed

him/her, unless it was my strongest one (melee

fighter), augmented and with Enduring Armor and

Steel Skin from before. I placed her on the door

with a bow equiped (Ebony bow) in case she got

possesed (when she did, she didn't move from there

to attack, since she had ranged weapon, but she

didn't attack neither with her bow, no idea why).

You need to make sure that your strongest char

survives. The rest can die (for now). Once the

soultaker has no one to jump to, he will split

into several shades. You need to make sure to

have your surviving char on the entrance door of

the chamber, so only one (at one point two) shades

can hit you.

Then they will attack you. Kill them one by one.

Assault crystals or potions are very usefull here

since they damage the attacker and heal you over

time.

When there are no shades left (you will probably have to kill the remaining skeletons

too), the cursed Soultaker will appear. Make sure

you are hasted and RUN like hell to the stair

that bring you back to the surface. Go back to

the town (maybe using a Raise Dead scroll could

work and save you time, but I don't know if they

revive with full energy. May be worth a try

though) and once you get your full party again,

rebuff and go to kick Soultaker's ass.

It worked very well for me and was quite fast

(specially letting the casters die).

Note: make sure that your remaining character kills all the shades and you get the message about

the Soultaker appearing (you will see him/her/it)

before leaving the entrance door of the chamber,

otherwise, it will reset the room and you will

have to start over.

I hope it helps, and thanks to those that posted

the order of the orbs. You saved me several hour

of sleep laugh