what would happen if I give the canister to Lankan?

I think you could give this tome to the mage with minimal consequencies. However, if you aren't completely hostile to shapers, you could give it to somebody else later for a better reward.

As for giving Lankan the canister, it counts as joining rebels. I am not sure if you'll be able to change your mind later, but you'll immediately start getting hostile reactions from shapers and will lose Alwan before leaving the island.

Quote:
Originally written by Jaid:
as i understand it, there is also an option to simply destroy the canister instead of giving it to him.
If Lankan sees you destroy the canister the town will go hostile; it's like helping the Shapers while slapping the rebels in the face. If you don't want to give it to him just hold on to it, and someone will buy it from you later on.

Quote:
Originally written by Shapliest:
Lankan will take the canister if you have it. You have no option to refuse. If you want to keep it, you must talk to him before taking the canister. Since Shirin is loyalist, I had to go back to a save prior to taking the canister.
Click the checkbox instead of any of the three options, and as soon as the box disappears press the F key to enter combat mode. While in combat mode the box will not come up again, so run out of his range of sight and don't let him see you again (don't go in the building again). This will allow you to talk to Lankan even if you have the canister without giving it to him or destroying it.