Frustrating Avernum 1 problem(s)

So, I've decided to start up a new game on Avernum 1 since I haven't played the game in close to two years, and I've rediscovered a couple problems--problems that might be same thing...I can't really tell--that plagued me the last time, only they seem worse.

Basically, the mouse is oversensitive. Oftentimes when I want to move just one space, I'll move two...not a biggie since this can be adapted around.

The real problem is with equipment and removing/replacing equipped items...most of the time rather than actually being removed or replaced, the item will switch places/come off, then go right back.

When you see this happen ten times in a row, you know there's a problem, and it's beginning to really bother me because it means I have to take extra care just to equip something.

But I suspect it's the oversensitive mouse thing again. I know it's not my mouse itself...it's a completely different mouse from the one I used before where I had this problem, yet I'm still experiencing it.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there any way to solve it?

I thought the "one click two spaces" thing was a bug. It annoyed the hell out of me more times then I can remember befire I found out about the "other" movement button.

Use the right mouse button for precision movment and the left to travel fast. Buts its a pain as a singleton searching things as if you tap the wrong button you go two spaces away from the object you want to search.

I'm having the same difficulty with equipping stuff. For me, only one thing has worked against it: clicking harder, faster and shorter, lifting your thumb (or whatever finger you use to click with) before you do it. Just pressing a finger that is already lying on the mouse seems to more easily cause a click so slow the game considers it a double-click.