Av2 Help! - Char reduced to 1AP - Why?

If anyone can help - v. much enjoying the demo of Avernum II - have mostly finished Chapter I after finally figuring out the Undead Chapel quest - My lead character's AP in combat has suddenly been reduced to 1 and I can't figure out why. Character Editor programme doesn't show any cursed items, and I've tried unequipping all his arms and armour. There is a very faintly drawn grey symbol next to the character name where effects are shown and I am assuming that this indicates I've been cursed or something. Am not entirely sure when this happened - recently completed quests also include rescuing the spiders' eggs. Thanks

There's no need to avoid walking through webs entirely, but there are a few tricks. As you've noticed, getting webbed makes you slow. Getting very webbed makes you very slow. Avoid webs in combat and walk through them when you can afford to wait a few rounds. Also, when you're in non-combat mode you can look (L) at adjacent webs to clear them.

—Alorael, who finds it very appropriate that the most irritating status change is the one that GIFTS (Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders) can cause.

Before you go over the first falls, be sure to do all the encounters with monsters that you can and train your party. It will be a long time before you have another chance. It will also help to have several saved versions since you may want to go back and redo areas. You will find that you don't need to take that much with you beyond arrows and potions.

In any case you can pick Wendy up when you have got through the Dark Waters and soon after that Assotho. They will take Becca down a peg or two. Since she is an Elite Warrior she does not advance as quickly as the others; after picking up Assotho in one game my characters had the following levels:

• Becca: 17
  • Wendy: 21
  • Asotho: 20
  • Madeye (my original priest/mage): 18

Nice group. Kept my Human "Elite Warrior" Fighter and Human Cleric along with Becca and Wendy. Becca put my Slith's Tool Use and Pole Weapons to shame, and her special skills sold me. Wendy came with Dispel Barrier and Beast Ceremony before my other mage could get those. That was all I needed to see, not to mention the wonderful Level 3's she had, and how simple it was to get those she didn't.

Around when i could have gotten Asotho...

Maxwell (fighter): 18

Becca: 17

Steph (cleric): 16

Wendy: 20 (Mages always get more XP...Most be all those Bolts of Fire.)