Lorn's questions while playing Overrun

Posted (edited)

Well, some questions:

1) You say that I should have been alerted that leadership could benefit my "teammates". Where was I supposed to read it? I ask because more than once I had the same "screen" appear in my game concerning tips, rather than a "sequel". Maybe it's intended, maybe not. 

2) In the tooltip when giving the thorns to the thorntalker, it's written that you can read how many more you have to deliver - I checked the journal and it's not written here. Where am I supposed to look?

3) What is the special item tab and how do I open it? Because the Thahd gave me a rod,but I have 0 clue on where it is.

Some unrelated note: thank God Zora doesn't follow you over 7 zones. With the nerf to AP she has by being encumbered, it's really annoying to fight with her, but she is so useful. 

By the way, is there any way to tether npc that follow you to help you? Sometimes they roam far while they should be very near the main character.

Also, why did you turn my shaper from orange to blue? :P

Edited by Lorn

On 5/19/2024 at 9:16 AM, Lorn said:

1) You say that I should have been alerted that leadership could benefit my "teammates". Where was I supposed to read it?

On 5/18/2024 at 8:40 AM, ex post slarto said:

Shanti explained this, the codex does as well.

Your progress on collection quests, including all five of Thornstalker's is displayed in the text log, each time you deliver items to the recipient.

The special item tab is in exactly the same place it is in the base game.  In the same window with quests, journal entries, and codex entries.

Posted (edited)

1) I swear I can't see it. Can you post an image ?

2) Okay, what can I say - I've been playing with this and you actually improved the shaping a lot. It doesn't seem like there is one recipe to rule them all, but you actually added actually a way for the player to think what he should aim for.

3) As for the magic, I bought dominate and it requires 60 essence. Basically I would have to spend over 3*5 (but I think it's more) points on intellect, and that is a lot. Basically just two levels to simply use one spell that can fail. I'm sorry but I can't justify this while I could have shaping way more improved. Currently, with the shaping that improves all together, you made my choice even easier.

There are some things I dislike though:
The vlish seems insane to me, and the fact it removes the maximum hp seems like an overtuned version of the acid. I really like acid in infestation, but I dislike the nerf you added - from 15% to 5% is a lot, only to see that version of spell used by Vlish that is ten thousand times better. 

Also, would it be possible to add whole text to the description? For example, I have zero clue what PH means.

3) Anyway I will have to restart the game. I can't progress at all, because I pumped mechanics and leadership too much. Currently level 7 and everything is way too strong compared to my shaper. 

Edited by Lorn

6 minutes ago, Lorn said:

3) Anyway I will have to restart the game. I can't progress at all, because I pumped mechanics and leadership too much. Currently level 7 and everything is way too strong compared to my shaper. 

O_O

Is Overrun that difficult? What difficulty do you play at? 

Posted (edited)

It's my fault probably. I'm playing at normal difficulty. I have mechanic 10, leadership 4, fire shaping 5. Regretted that instantly. 

Should only pump leadership and fire shaping and simply clean the whole map (as the map of whole game) before talking to everyone in every map otherwise I get the fear of missing out if I don't have enough points on the two general skills - and by using a notepad I can simply avoid missing content.

Edited by Lorn

No, it's not that difficult.  Lorn had a pile of questions like these about the base game, too 🙂

Lorn:

1) There's literally already an image of it earlier in this thread.

3) Dominate does not require 60 essence.  It requires 60 energy.  Note that any spell can be cast when you are at max energy, no matter how much its energy cost, and you recover quite a bit of energy for free every round as well.  So having low max energy just means you can't spam every spell you want.  That said, the reason for the increased energy costs were to make Intellect a stat worth investing in.  Intellect was very close to worthless in the base game.  Energy also goes up as you increase in level.  You can't just spam all the most powerful spells when you are level 7.  If you want an unrestricted power fantasy, don't play a balance mod 🙂

4) I have absolutely no idea what you are saying about acid and Vlish.

5) The creation screen has limited space for text, so abbreviations are gonna be there whether you like them or not.  They are explained, however -- in the codex.

Second 3) You can just use "retrain" to respec your skill points, you don't need to start over.

To be really direct though - your FOMO over Mechanics  is still really strange to me.  If you are a little more patient, waiting for quest completion before you force your way through every locked door you find, you shouldn't have any issues running out of living tools.  Overrun doesn't change this at all, btw.

Posted (edited)

1) What I meant was the following: "acid" applies a debuff that removed 15% of your hp every turn. Turns out I may have confused it with poison; anyway, the poison effect is now only 5%, and seems to be so little.

I then compared it with the hp removal from the power of the vlish, that basically two shotted every creation I had. But I had [censored] creations. So I will reconsider.

2) I still have 0 clue on how to check my progress on the thornstalker. But okay.

3) The screen talking about equipment and purifying blade taking 20 canisters. When is supposed to appear while playing? Is it in some books?

Edited by Lorn

- G2 changed the acid/poison DoT power I believe, but Overrun does not.

- Shock can't two-shot anything.  I think what you're actually saying is you had a creation that took a big hit, and then died from two turns of DoT after taking the big hit.

- I don't know how else I can say "collection quest progress is displayed in the text log" and "details about what the mod affects are listed in the codex."

I'd love for you to enjoy the mod.  It does seem like you're struggling with a lot of things, many of which aren't actually different in the mod.  Can I politely suggest that you open up the codex and read through it before your next round of questions? 🙂  I think there is a lot of info there that you will appreciate.

Posted (edited)

I am playing without Overrun and poison is 5% for me too. 

As for Vlish 2-shotting everyone... I suggest you try Geneforge 3. 🤣 Nothing, in all the games, compares with GF3 Vlish. 

Back in GF3, your creations were gaining levels, getting 75% of the XP you got. And you got Vlish early, and everything had much less hp. 

So, we had the Vlish that could do well in melee, exceptionally in range. And they were getting levels up quick. I still have not got over the ... fear for Vlish I got from that game. I see a vlish in a zone? I automatically hit quick-save. Then I approach veeeery carefully. I may even hit protection before I remember: I have level 27 creations. A 7th level creation won't harm me, right? Right? But I still keep my distance. 

Some things are hard to overcome. 

The other thing I never got over my fear of, is the Unbound but these are a couple of games in the future. 

Edited by alhoon

I will report this here, maybe it's an issue from base game, but having never used anything else but fyora and drayk in vanilla geneforge, I write here.

The blue clawbug has a "defensive spine" passive ability. Turns out it doesn't hit anyone in melee. I'm trying to face some clawbugs with my clawbug but there is no "defensive spine".

If it's a creation augment issue, it is not mod-related.  Augments are not moddable.  Can you be specific about what you are seeing?  What does "doesn't hit anyone" mean, what situations did you try it out in?  Remember the exploding boils thing? 🙂

I think I'm just going to split all your questions to a new thread.  This topic really can't be your personal tutorial topic, especially when half of the questions aren't really about Overrun.

6 hours ago, Lorn said:

I will report this here, maybe it's an issue from base game, but having never used anything else but fyora and drayk in vanilla geneforge, I write here.

The blue clawbug has a "defensive spine" passive ability. Turns out it doesn't hit anyone in melee. I'm trying to face some clawbugs with my clawbug but there is no "defensive spine".

I assume you have bought the augment, right? It should work when someone hits your clawbug in melee. 

1 minute ago, Lorn said:

not clear if this is good or not for a pure shaper: https://imgur.com/a/rgWP8y0

For a shaper, I'd say it's better than the Deadeye Cloak. The -10% armor for creations is... sorta worth the +2 in Agility for them. 

The question I have is, why doesn't it show the cost of these items when you hover over them? Is this an Overrun thing? 

30 minutes ago, Lorn said:

Stuff attack in melee but the augment doesn't work. I guess that some attacks count as ranged even when you are next to each other.

What is "stuff"?  These vague descriptions make it really hard to help you.  You've never seen it trigger at all, not when fighting anything?

44 minutes ago, Drayk Armitage said:

Yes - see under Quality of Life in this post.

1 hour ago, Hyperion703 said:

For a shaper, I'd say it's better than the Deadeye Cloak. The -10% armor for creations is... sorta worth the +2 in Agility for them. 

The question I have is, why doesn't it show the cost of these items when you hover over them? Is this an Overrun thing? 

In short: They can't be sold. But you get more money from gems. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Drayk Armitage said:

What is "stuff"?  These vague descriptions make it really hard to help you.  You've never seen it trigger at all, not when fighting anything?

I've never saw it trigger, so I decided to simply stop using that particular passive. I will test it later again, if anyone is curious, otherwise I will skip.
 I tried the passive reposte from clawbugs against clawbugs, vlish (I suppose they are ranged even when fighting in the next tile) and thahds. Battle beta too. Didn't work once.

Doubt it's an overrun issue, though. The issue is that you made it so that it's worth shaping everything, while normally I only shape drayks in vanilla.

I've got a few questions:

1) Am I wrong, or you've definitely nerfed fire (I checked many mobs and they have resistance to fire) ? Drayks are so bad... I wanted to like them but they do like half the damage I was seeing them do against a lot of creations when playing Vanilla. Right now I'm using Drakons but they feel not that great, simply better than drayks.

2) Drakons are better than drayks. True, wrong?

3) I'm undecided why choose Ur-Drakons over Drakons.

4) Did you change the special "artifacts"? I'm talking about the helix ring and the frosted amulet (that in my screen appears as annulet). 

5) A suggestion on where to bring the enchanted leaves?

Edited by Lorn

1) You are wrong.  I didn't nerf fire.  Fire creations resist fire.  That's it.  Did you read the codex?

2) You just wrote above "you made it so that it's worth shaping everything" so I will refer you to that statement.

3) Did you read the codex?

4) No.  Also, it *is* annulet.  That's a word.

5) You're probably not ready to do anything with them yet.  Did you read the relevant quest?

The riposte from spines and other passive abilities when your creations are hit isn't that high.

It just seems that way from all the times you take damage from them.  :)

I still remember in Avadon: The Back Fortress taking more damage than the hostile NPC ad been doing from a single riposte and killing myself. It reminded me why I didn't like to use melee!

Posted (edited)

Riposte should be 25% chance, so at least it's 1 out of 4.

I'm inside outer gazak-uss. There are the three eyes that I have to face. Suggestions on which creations I've got to use? I have fire shaping 19 (thus battle and magic shaping to 19 too)

Edited by Lorn

Magic creations lie gazers to give them a null field are one way to go. Pretty much anything with lots of health and keep your Shaper back to cure null field and heal.

This was a Jeff designed fight to just need lots of creations. More is better than powerful.

That's deliberately left for the player to figure out.  Minor spoiler:

Spoiler

It's "his shrine," a.k.a. the shrine of Roamer.  Where would you expect that to be?

Make sure you have all three items on your person, not on the floor somewhere or in the junk bag.

Sometimes in games you have to put 2 + 2 together, rather than having somebody give you a quest marker.