The Door Golem in the Shade Patrol respawns.

The Door Golem in the Shade Patrol respawns.

This is exactly the kind of boring XP farm Jeff wanted to avoid, but it gives creature XP at level 18, which means you could -- in theory -- push yourself to level 24 killing it over and over again.  That would be completely insane since it's 1 XP at level 23, but hey.

Level 18 isn't high enough to really be useful in a practical sense.  But it does give an easy place to start for calculating theoretical maximum level.  Start from level 24; anything that gives XP at level 18 or lower can be completely ignored.  (Also nice since it gives almost complete freedom in the order you do other things in the game.)

Other than the Iron Bars and Shaper Records quests, and the tiny handful of XP rewards that are (mistakenly?) set at level 50, I don't think there's all that much that will seriously bump XP at that point.  Which probably means you could barely hit level 27, in theory.

XP is scaled.  For monsters:

Same level: 20 xp

Higher level: +2 per level, up to 30 xp

Lower level: 14, 10, 4, 2, down to 1 xp at 5 levels below

0 xp if more than 5 levels below you

I think quest XP might use the same multipliers -- it's something similar, anyway.

Jeff seemed to make it 1400 XP per level, but I was only able to check up to level 24 because I was just about 100 XP reaching level 25 as a Barzite.

The rwspawned creations in Gaza-Uss seem to give no experience after wiping out a certain number. There are a few other things you can still kill above level 20 that give 20 XP like the Sholai leaders, Yu=La, and Grimwing. Basically anything with over 400 health gives decent XP.

1 hour ago, Slarzahl said:

XP is scaled.  For monsters:

Same level: 20 xp

Higher level: +2 per level, up to 30 xp

Lower level: 14, 10, 4, 2, down to 1 xp at 5 levels below

0 xp if more than 5 levels below you

I think quest XP might use the same multipliers -- it's something similar, anyway.

Man, it drops fast! 

Anyway, I was asking whether there is a hard cap for levels. As you said, theoretically, someone can reach level 27. But is that even possible or there's a hard cap at 25 so that XP beyond that would keep one at level 25? 
Also, this is a purely academic question.

EDIT: 

I checked with this script: 

if ( get_level(pc_num()) <= 60) {         

award_party_xp( 1400, get_level(pc_num()) );         
          }

There seems to be a cap at 65025 XP, and if you go over it, things get weird. As in, I suddenly dropped to level 141. No, that's not a typo. 

Edited by alhoon

There's not a hardcoded limit at 25 or any other even remotely achievable level, no.

When you edit variables to have values far outside the range of what they are expected to have, of course things are gonna get weird.  This should not be a surprise.  This is like saying "I drove my car on the ocean, and boy did that make things get weird."

The XP cheat value is hardcoded.  It works like quest XP in that it has an expected level and scales based on PC level.

41 minutes ago, Slarzahl said:

There's not a hardcoded limit at 25 or any other even remotely achievable level, no.

When you edit variables to have values far outside the range of what they are expected to have, of course things are gonna get weird.  This should not be a surprise.  This is like saying "I drove my car on the ocean, and boy did that make things get weird."

I was not surprised that if you push XP waaaaay to far strange things happen. I was surprised that there's not a hardcoded limit. 

To get back to much more practical things: I haven't seen in the site or even in the guidebook any "guide" to general expected level for areas. I went to fight the spawner and I found the monsters there (at least the ones I saw) are level 2, while the ones close to the tunnel were level 5. I.e. I should have cleared that area first, I think. 

Did I miss any guide that says "average monster level 3 in this area" or "some turrets level 2, some clawbugs and roamers level 5" or something?