Miscellaneous mod related discussion

I can't believe I haven't tried this before, but I'm learning quite a bit by increasing skills to arbitrarily large numbers then seeing how they behave. In fact, I think I discovered that increasing the spell level of damage spells does a lot more than one would think by just looking at the tooltips! The scripts for most damage spells have a line in them that I wasn't really sure about at first:

ab_node_percent_per_skill X = 25;

But after some testing, I think if a skill has this line in the script (X is tied to the ability node number), it means there's an additional % damage increase for each level of the spell you have (which of course isn't in the tooltips!) Here's what I found at Quicklash level 102:

Tooltip Display: 128-494 damage (+153%)

Actual damage against enemy with 0% resist: 17,880

There's no way to explain this massive difference in damage unless there's some additional not-displayed level component to damage that's influenced by skill level (25% per level - seemingly multiplicative with your other modifiers, if the script line is to be believed)

Edited by Mechalibur

That is known, and if there's going to be an in-depth discussion of script definitions, I suggest a new topic for it.  Let's keep this one just concerned with the mod itself.

Additional comment: although in this case the damage numbers for that cheat are actually what I would expect with 102, the game expects skill values to be single digits, so I wouldn't assume everything is going to behave linearly when you make them that high.

EDIT: the "3 squares" text is hardcoded.  Not something I can edit.

6 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

Alhoon:
I loved your G1 Mutagen "smaller fyoras" mod tips (here), because those monstrously large lizards don't look right. Should I be able to apply the same simple trick safely/effectively again here? Specifically, it looks like I added the line "cr_scaling=60" in the "PC created fyora" section, edited "cr_scaling=80" to "60" in the "Rogue Fyora" section, edited "cr_scaling=90" to "60" in the "Enraged Fyora" section, and skipped the "Basic friendly fyora"/"Warped Fyora"/"Charged Fyora"/"cryoa" sections. (Not sure why I skipped the sections I did - maybe those were already smaller.) Cheers.

The short answer is yes. 

The long answer would be in a thread with my mods. 

1 minute ago, mikeprichard said:

OK - not sure whether you're referring to a particular thread, but I'll mess around with the above same edits later on and see if they cover all the fyora/cryoa critters to my satisfaction without breaking anything!

You need to change the Cryoas too. I make Cryoras at 70%. 

1 minute ago, alhoon said:

You need to change the Cryoas too. I make Cryoras at 70%. 

Last brief question here since I'm hijacking Slarty's thread - but would you add "cr_scaling=70" to all three GF2itemschars.txt "cryoa" sections ("PC created cryoa", "Rogue Cryoa", "Pit-Bred Cryoa"), or to only one or two of those sections, with the scaling then automatically applying to one or both of the others? Again, if you don't know offhand, I'll just have to test later when I encounter these critters.

• 2 weeks later...

I put 75% to the first Cryoa as the others go by that one. 

Drayks I made a bit more complex scaling. If you want to avoid complex scaling, use 125% on creature 190 and it should apply to all.

However, I put PC made Drayk at 130 and rogue drayk (192 creature) at 120%. 

I put Cryodrayk (creature 195) at 140%, rogue Cryo at 130% and a Cryodrayk called "King", that I haven't found, at 145% because he sounds like a total boss. 

Thanks - the last bit I was planning to confirm in game was whether Pit-Bred Cryoas inherit the scaling from the generic Cryoa. Now that you've confirmed, here are my personal preference notes as additional reference:

To reduce all fyora and cryoa sprites in the game to 60% of their original size to make them proper little buddies, make the following three edits in GF2itemschars.txt:

1) Add the line "cr_scaling = 60;" in the "Fyora" section (I added it just below the line "cr_name = Fyora;", but I don't think that placement is important)
2) Edit "cr_scaling = 80;" to "cr_scaling = 60;" in the "Rogue Fyora" section
3) Edit "cr_scaling = 90;" to "cr_scaling = 60;" in the "Enraged Fyora" section

No edits are necessary in the "Basic friendly fyora"/"Warped Fyora"/"Charged Fyora"/"Cryoa"/"Rogue Cryoa"/"Pit-Bred Cryoa" sections, as these critters inherit their scaling percentages from the edits listed above.