GF2 - Good build for a pure "loyalist" shaper?

Just finished a run as a power-gaming Barzite on veteran(which felt very thematic) and was interested in doing a loyalist shaper no canister run, and trying to think of a good thematic way to do that. My current thought process was a guardian, since the early access to the purifying blade feels great with a melee build.

However a bit stuck on which type of creation to use for support with their limited magic. Seems that loyalists get the easiest access to battle shaping, but i don't think they would work that great as additional support and the stalkthorn seems way too disposable. I guess my current leaning is fire shaping for AoE support, or would it be worthwhile to just try as an Agent?

Agent as a loyalist is extremely disappointing because you won't get access to Essence Purge. It's difficult to overstate just how powerful that is for Agents since it's a spell with a whopping d8 damage die in an area that also inflicts an unresistable damage over time effect. For reference, the next highest battle magic spell is a d4 for damage.

Shaper can still be really powerful with a focus on any of the shaping schools. You can learn drayks in infestation which remain very powerful for raw damage and AoE. Battle shaping gets the rotgroth which is super cheap for how strong it is, and Magic gets you up to Glaahks (although as a loyalist you'd miss out on Gazers which is a shame).

Edit: There's technically a neutral drakon trainer for Essence Purge, but I feel like that goes against the spirit of a loyalist run 😄

Edited by Mechalibur

Wow that's actually a much bigger difference then i thought, had no idea! I think that would rule out the agent for me at least for this run ( might go Agent for my next taker run in that case) since it's already a bit tough playing them to begin with for me without another challenge on top.

I think I might be a bit too down on battle shaping after looking further. I remember playing G5 and having a pack of 5 rots and clearing pretty easily but I think I'm remembering the other games too much and looking down on them

appreciate the advice!

Agents even as Loyalist are great. It may be harder in places. The key is to take advantage of high damaging spells taking out lots of foes like airshhock and using quick lash to get an extra attack.

Jeff tweaked some things since I tried battle shaping, but it seemed effective even on torment difficulty. Using iron claw bug and rothghroths for their range AoE attacks made a big difference. It's harder to get them in melee in several places because of barriers. That tuff of grass in the swamp meant I couldn't leap to target. :)

I'm not a huge fan of Quicklash honestly. The cost is absurdly high for what it does. And the benefit of being a fast spell gets weaker and weaker as you get more ranks in spellcraft, haste + haste chance, and the Gloves of Spell Mastery. The only thing I can think of as a positive is that it is single target and works with the Lifedrain buff.

The benefit of quicklash is that you get a guaranteed second action. While I've seen 4 spell attacks in a round repeatedly with Gloves of Spell Mastery, you can't count on it. Sam with all the other chance second attacks.

It's like quick action for a melee guardian. Sometimes you go with the guaranteed action instead of risking getting one when you really need it.

Personally I've always struggled with the agent play style in general a bit (though i did love the Servile in G5) and after looking around it does seem a bit too limiting for what i was thinking of in a loyalist run. It is most likely viable but i think I'd struggle a bit too much😄 Excited to try it out in my next run though

I'm currently doing a loyalist guardian with Magic shaping because I thought they'd be great for support.

Vlishes were disappointing, Artillas were cheap but useful, and Glaakhs are great. (Stun, charm and terrify everyone!) No gazers, but who'd want to create such Barred abominations anyway.

While you could create Drayks, those too are barred which seems to go a bit against the idea of a loyalist. Rothgroths would probably work but it would leave you with an all-melee party.

The lore on drayks is a bit inconsistent. The codex description says you can shape them with a license. I guess the situation in Drypeak is so extreme you get fast tracked for a license 😄

I think the problem is rogue/sapient drayks. Maybe the license-approved drayks are a dumber variant or something.

The math on Quicklash is really bad, honestly.  You give up a chance (eventually a >50% chance) of an impactful spell, that does more damage to more targets and/or applies strong statuses... for basically a guaranteed free Firebolt... and you pay out the nose for it.

5 hours ago, Mechalibur said:

The lore on drayks is a bit inconsistent. The codex description says you can shape them with a license. I guess the situation in Drypeak is so extreme you get fast tracked for a license 😄

That license is supposed to be hard to get and for limited studies. Something no apprentice would get. But as you said, the situation in Drypeaks is not exactly following protocol.