Chariots require flat, unbroken terrain for their wheels. Avernum is a cave full of stalagmites and rubble. Aside from roads, where would they be useful? Besides, while cave lizards are apparently acceptable draft animals and beasts of burden, I don't think they'd be up to the sustained quick movement required for effective chariots.

—Alorael, who was going to point out that cavalry generally replaced the chariot and that the Empire has cavalry until he realized that it doesn't seem to be true. The Empire has horses for riding, but all the soldiers appear to be unmounted. That's either for convenience on Jeff's part or because the Empire is an odd place.

The Avernum trilogy has regular sized creatures and tall creatures, but no long creatures. It would be a lot harder to implement enemies that take up more than one tile.

Mad Ambition (BoA) has cavalry. However, you can't keep the horse when you kill them (though now that I think about it, I could be possible...).

--------------------

Write a paper promising salvation, make it a 'structured' something or a 'virtual' something, or 'abstract', 'distributed' or 'higher-order' or 'applicative' and you can almost be certain of having started a new cult.

- Edsger Dijkstra

Quote:
opon mars:
I [wander] in avernum and see chariots
Those aren't chariots, they're wagons. Wagons are fine because they only travel along the roads in Avernum. Unless you plan on fighting battles on roads instead of on open cave floor, chariots would be very inefficient. On the surface, why not? I suppose that would work, but it would be a very ambitious graphic indeed for someone to actually make.

Originally by Alorael:

Quote:
The Empire has horses for riding, but all the soldiers appear to be unmounted. That's either for convenience on Jeff's part or because the Empire is an odd place.
There don't seem to be all that many horses, though. Maybe they were recently discovered and so they are still too scarce and valuable to ride into battle.

Dikiyoba.