Classic Blades of Exile on recent versions of OsX

osnola

Hello,
if someone want to test the progress of Classic Blades of Exile on OsX, I just compiled an intel version on Mac Big from my fork https://github.com/fosnola/cboe and I added it on https://github.com/fosnola/cboe-distrib/tree/main/MacOsX , you have to click on OsX11-MacIntel64.zip then on download. I compiled it with Xcode 12.4, so I think it should work on systems from OsX10.9 to OsX11. 

However, these executables are not signed and the only solution I found to bypass GateKeeper is to use the heavy artillery: run the following commands in terminal:

cd ~/Downloads/BoE-MacIntel64-Oct2021
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine BoE\ Character\ Editor.app/
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine BoE\ Scenario\ Editor.app/
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Blades\ of\ Exile.app/

so I added to ToReadBeforeLaunching.txt file.

If you have problems to launch it, don't hesitate to report them.

• osnola changed the title to Classic Blades of Exile on recent versions of OsX

I'm pretty sure you can also bypass Gatekeeper with the following steps (at least, it's always worked for me before):

1. Try to run the program. It'll warn you but not provide an option to run anyway.
  2. Go to System Preferences and click in Security -> General
  3. There should be a notification about the app you just tried to run, with a button to allow it to run.
  4. Try to run the program. Though it'll still warn you, this time it'll provide an option to run anyway.

I tried this method on Big Sur, but I got this error message.

ticpp::Exception: Couldn't load /private/var/folders/XXX/YYYY/T/AppTranslocation/ZZZZ/d/data/dialogs/1str-title.xml

maybe because I have added in the executable libboost_filesystem and libboost_system and this method does not clear correctly the quarantine on these libraries ( or for another reasons).

So I have test with the heavy artillery and this has worked.

It worked on Big Sur (OS11.6.1) using heavy artillery.

However It wouldn't load Valley of the Dying Things.  A Small Rebellion loaded and it seemed to work fine. At least I didn't have the problem in an older version that items didn't appear on tables and boxes in rooms.

I may play some more later.

Edit - Valley of the Dying Things loaded with a custom party.

16 hours ago, Randomizer said:

It worked on Big Sur (OS11.6.1) using heavy artillery.

However It wouldn't load Valley of the Dying Things.  A Small Rebellion loaded and it seemed to work fine. At least I didn't have the problem in an older version that items didn't appear on tables and boxes in rooms.

I may play some more later.

Edit - Valley of the Dying Things loaded with a custom party.

Thank a lot for testing.

Concerning the problem of Valley of the Dying Things, if you load an old backup, the scenario may have been stored with the name valleydy.exs, which may be a problem because I have only distributed the new format in this version: valleydy.boes :-~ This is one of the possibilities I see (in fact the only one).

For your information, if you have a Mac with Retina technology, I have added in the preferences dialog the possibility to scale the display by a factor of 4 ; this version can also use higher resolution graphics. I'm not an artist but I try to create them for testing, I put them in data/graphics2, if you want to test them, you can swap the data/graphics(the original) and the data/graphics2 repositories. Finally, if you use a lot of keyboard keys, I added in many places the possibility to use the escape key (to cancel looking, the drop, ...) or the arrow keys ( target a spell/a missile in combat mode, go front/back in talking mode, ... )

Edited by osnola

Oh :-~

I just tried to reproduce this problem and I can't. I create a New Party, click on done, save it(*), then click on Start Scenario, VoDT. I also try after deleting ~/Library/Application\ Support/Blades\ of\ Exile, and it works again (this time with a warning that it can't find any custom scenario)

(*) I also try to continue without saving the new party.

Edit: I also just tried using the alt/option key (an option I just discovered) and it still works :-~ So I have no idea.

Edited by osnola