Geneforge 1 still holds up

Chopkinsca

Even after the remake, the original still holds up. With it's clunky UI and design, I'm having a good time playing the game, which may sound odd.

I never finished the entire Geneforge series (I'm sorry). I haven't played 5. I want to play the whole series though, and I started to relive that dream. I feel it would be weird to play the Geneforge 1 remake and "degress" into the Geneforge 2 engine, so I'm starting from the original Geneforge game. If all goes as planned, I'll get back to the Geneforge 1 remake and be able to further appreciate the improvements made to the game. 

This post doesn't have much of a point other than just existing. Not like these forums are starving for activity to begin with.

I didn't like Geneforge 1 as much as the others, but it was good. Geneforge 5 is one of my top favorites, but it is also very difficult. Save frequently when playing as death is often just one or two misclicks away. Lots of strong enemies and tough bosses.

Edited by Superdeath25

I was kind of drunk when i made this topic, but my sober self still agrees. 

I can understand the roughness of the game/engine is off-putting, especially when used to newer SWS games and their luxuries. I'm glad I can enjoy the older games, means I I spend less money on buying games. I also like to see the progression of the engine, what new things are put into the next game.

I don't know why I never played Geneforge 5. I enjoyed 4. I feel like I wasn't really into the series as much as I was with Avernum. On this replay of G1, maybe that is changing. I had an Agent playthrough going and decided to start over to optimize my build. I'm kind of addicted now. I'm torn on whether I'll go on to Geneforge 2 after this Agent run, or try out a Guardian. Time will tell.

Geneforge 5 was super enjoyable to me, I just personally dislike the trope of being this unique person that people seemingly already hate because of an event that you had no control over, I.E. the Geneforge in 4 and 5. People will just automatically see you as different and treat you as such because you progressed through the story normally. This is why I love Geneforge 3 in particular because you are a normal Shaper in training and people will perceive you differently based on your actions, rather than see you as a "freak" because of a forced use of a Geneforge.

Geneforge 3 competes with 5 for my top favorite.   It has great artifacts (I use the Talisman of Might, All Protector, Emerald Chestguard, and Avenger's Ring.)  It also gives the best sense of progression as you clear one island, then move on to the next with progressively harder enemies. The boss fights in it are also very fun.  I don't like Geneforge 4 all that much because of how many "impossible areas" there are and the double agent aspect is not too well done.  Plus, when you choose the Shaper path, so many Shaper soldiers attack you regardless of your loyalty and you hardly get to fight rebels.  It also is very easy to permanently alienate the Shapers in 4 if you don't do things in the beginning right

Edited by Superdeath25

Even you go full loyalist and don't use any canisters, every single Shaper will still view you as "warped". Kinda sucks because even though it makes sense for the Shapers to want to use your character for their own benefit to win the war, it wouldn't hurt to eventually have the loyalists begin to respect you, against their will. Just because of how dedicated and seemingly unwavering loyalty your character might have.

If you follow him at the end, General Alwan straight up says you are a Shaper though which is pretty nice. Though if you use more than 6 canisters, the Shapers leave you in a remote colony as you are deemed unfit for the rest of society.  If not and you are consistently loyal, you get to be an administrator with plenty of influence after the war ends

Edited by Superdeath25

Probably nobody cares, but I finished my G1 Tricky solo-Agent last week. Holy carp can an Agent be powerful once you know how to abuse the speed spell and the dumb AI. I think the power went to my head.

Spoiler

I killed Goettsch after he gave me the fake shaper gloves. I also used the Geneforge for all the powers.

I'm in the middle of Geneforge 2 now and am loving it. I'm doing a solo Agent, on tricky again.
Edited by Chopkinsca