question about the continents!and some other stuffs

well, i recently entered the blazing blade page and i found something, the maps of almost all of the continents of the avernum "world".but those maps are invented aren¿t they?or jeff really design that?

and another thing that really concern me is that i always had the doubt about what is the size of valorim because it doesn't look like a CONTINENT for me it just looks like a country!and what about the others continents?maybe the avernum world isn't bigger than USA!

and just a little question is about what is that area to the northwest of tinraya? it's suposed to appear setled in some future avernum game?

and the last is that i really liked the za-khazi run and maybe i thought that it could be added to the avernum area, anyway what the heck is behind the stupids rocks in the rivers that go out of avernum?

All maps of the surface except those of Valorim itself are invented by the community with little justification.

Depending on how you figure it, Valorim may be the size of California or possibly even the size of India. It's pretty small, though.

I'm not sure about the Keep of Tinraya, but there has been some debate about what's north of Blackcrag, and I don't think I was ever convinced. Some say that another continent is on the other side, and I swear something in A3 said that, but I have never been able to find it.

ZKR is geographically very obscure. I never have figured out how it's supposed to fit into mainland Avernum.

I was figuring it based on the mile measurements given in the signs between towns. The full calculation can be found here , near the bottom of the page. Now that I look back at it, my lower bound was about three or four times the size of California, and my upper bound was somewhat larger than the size of India.

A mile is a mile as long as it's set accordingly. Earth's mile could very well be different than Ermanian's mile. There really shouldn't be any confusion. And why are you arguing with me??? I'm Archmage Solberg exactly what planet do you think I live on? Our mile is exactly 5,000 feet long. To put that into laymans terms.

Ermanian = Earth

1 foot = .4 foot

It would take 13200 Earth feet to equal on Ermanian mile! Our measurements are 2.5 times bigger. But as far as people go, we're roughly the same size, just numbered differently.

Ermanian Earth

15 ft 6ft

Don't get confused because of what the game says. We used Earth measurements when describing the sizes of animals, not distance...sorry. cool

let's just say that the world is very little and that the five empire continent are not "all" the continents and that they are of the size of USA,i like to imagine that...because i like to think that the empire is not everything in this world, take as example America that was "discovered" just 500 years ago

If Avernum games are written in English, then I feel justified in assuming that the words actually mean what they say, not something approximately the same. Jeff didn't stick a Nightfall prologue in there explaining that miles can be krulbiv if we want.

—Alorael, who believes Jeff did all the necessary conversions and calculations from krulbiv to miles for the players to make it easier. You do know how many spaces per mile, right?

Quote:
Originally written by VCH:
The fact that miles are used points to a primitive society. They have yet to develop any accurate standards for measurement. wink
I protest. Miles are perfectly accurate. They're just extremely inconvenient.

—Alorael, who has nothing to say to defend ounces and nautical miles. Ounces aren't even abbreviated logically. Oz?