Dante's Guile?

What exactly does it do? I expected a +1 Mechanics boost while it was in my pack or something, but that's not it - maybe it reduces the number of living tools needed for locks by 1, or something similar? I'm just guessing here; if there's anyone who knows what's really up with this thing, I'd appreciate an explanation!

I'm starting to think it might reduce the number of living tools needed to open a lock down to 1 for locks that would otherwise be more complicated. I'm noticing some locks that give really good XP (22 or 26 per lock) take the same amount of living tools (1) when I would expect them to need more tools. I don't have the tinker's gloves so I'm going to test a couple locks after adding mechanics points or getting the gloves to see if that theory holds up.

Edit: I just raised mechanics 1 at a time for a lock in Holding 2 that required just 1 living tool to open. I had to raise mechanics all the way to 17 to unlock the cabinet. However after dropping Dante's Guile.. the requirement to open the cabinet was still just 1 living tool, so I'm not sure how the requirement is calculated.

Edited by Felix_Felicis

Yes, I'd noticed that in your atlas - I saw entries for crazy high Mechanics values in the 20s and 30s which you apparently tested, but there seems to be a wide spread of skill values just to reduce the number of living tools needed by one (maybe 5 skill points per 1 living tool, at least for harder locks - not sure how it works exactly either). Just hoping Jeff comes back with more details on the Dante's Guile charm at least - he always answers emails within a few days, but he's sometimes cagey about spoiling under-the-hood game mechanics.

• 3 years later...

In both games, when it is in your pack, Dante's Guile reduces the mechanics requirement of certain interactable items by 1.  In G2I, this is limited to generic power spirals and spore boxes, and only if their base difficulty is 6 or higher.  I think the list was the same in Mutagen but don't have it in front of me.

It literally reduces the requirement, rather than increasing your effective skill, which is one of the reasons a number of the mechanics requirements listed in the atlases are off by 1.