Anything good in the lava isthmus (spoilers)?

The best item there is probably the Mercuric Plate, which increases your action points, but you can get Mercuric Plate elsewhere in the game as well. There's also the Hero's Necklace (+6% armour, +1 Melee Weapons, +1 Dual Wielding, +3% melee damage), which is unique and reasonably good for a dual-wielder, but again, there are other good necklaces for melee fighters that you can find elsewhere.

Isn't the other Mercuric Plate from slaying Athron?

If you're strong enough to get the Orb of Thralni, you're probably strong enough to kill Athron. She's not actually all that tough. Just make sure you've finished the quest to visit her first.

I mean, if the problem is just that you don't want to kill Athron, then go ahead and buy the plate when you have the money for it, I guess.

Is there even really a motive to kill them (outside of "proving you can")? Khoth is working with the Empire, but the game doesn't let me approach him...it says I see him through a gate and quietly back away. Sulfras and Athron are rude and arrogant, but in this game they're not actually threatening us.

In my view,it can't be worth 5000 to buy anything that efreet has...there is so much good plate out there already, ditto necklaces...save the money for training, I say.

Is there even really a motive to kill them (outside of "proving you can")? Khoth is working with the Empire, but the game doesn't let me approach him...it says I see him through a gate and quietly back away. Sulfras and Athron are rude and arrogant, but in this game they're not actually threatening us.

In my view,it can't be worth 5000 to buy anything that efreet has...there is so much good plate out there already, ditto necklaces...save the money for training, I say.

In late game, you can have more money than you know what to do with if you take the time to find all the treasure in the game. I've completed a playthrough without selling a single crystal, gem, gold bar, or magic item. That's because I like having them all glittering in my inventory, but if I did sell them all I could have a few extra tens of thousands of coins. Despite not having all that cash, I still was able to buy all the skills I needed. The only thing I couldn't afford was training skills I didn't really need, like getting extra luck for everybody, or buying unnecessary skills like sharpshooter for my mage, or first aid for everybody.

Maybe I haven't taken that time...actually I know I haven't because I don't have level 3 stoneshatter (and don't want a spoiler on where it was)...but I have found more good plate and necklaces than I know what to do with, except to sell them. 5000 coins is still 2 points of luck at the luck temple, or more skills yet with other trainers. If you don't want to train with it then potions would still be a better investment. (I'm partway through the Garzahd fight on Torment and am hurting for a bottomless bottle or two.)

Maybe I haven't taken that time...actually I know I haven't because I don't have level 3 stoneshatter (and don't want a spoiler on where it was)...but I have found more good plate and necklaces than I know what to do with, except to sell them. 5000 coins is still 2 points of luck at the luck temple, or more skills yet with other trainers. If you don't want to train with it then potions would still be a better investment. (I'm partway through the Garzahd fight on Torment and am hurting for a bottomless bottle or two.)

Trust me, even if you train every marginally useful skill in the game it's still easy to have more money than you know what to do with by endgame. I maxed out every spell on my mage and priest, and bought two levels of Luck, Quick Action and Riposte for the entire party (among other things), and I still had nearly 20,000 gold left over by the end. Maybe if you're running an especially expensive party setup like an all-spellcaster party, you might be able to usefully spend all the money you find, but for most players money is just not going to be a major concern.

Also, there are plenty of sites where you can harvest herbs that regrow after a while. Those herbs have monetary value. It'd take a little while but theoretically you can farm infinite money just by selling potion ingredients.

I wonder if anyone has calculated how quickly you could make money just by traveling to all the mold patches in a looping journey, while giving them all time to regrow.

I wonder if anyone has calculated how quickly you could make money just by traveling to all the mold patches in a looping journey, while giving them all time to regrow.

Did a bit of testing, and here is what I got.

The route I looped around was: Tower of Magi > Formello > Fungal Clearing > Formello > Tower of Magi > Fort Dranlon > Moldy Cave > Moldy Cavern > Fort Dranlon > Tower of Magi > …

I did not use backtostart, since if you resort to that, you might as well just spam iampoor (or iwanttobestronger). However, I did employ a neat trick I would dub as ‘speed walking’, i.e. moving around with the wait button held down at all times. This makes the game time pass super-fast, without hindering your actual movement speed. Of course, speed walking also makes outdoor encounters really frequent, so if your party is not of high enough level to skip them all, you should expect some slow-down.

After half an hour of hectic clicking, I ended up with a decent haul of 59 Healing, 48 Spiritual and 46 Energetic Herbs, in addition to 38 pieces of Graymold and 38 Mandrake Roots. These could be turned into ~7 levels worth of Wisdom Crystals, or sold for a total of 6153 gold (with 4 Negotiator traits). For comparison purposes, I did another run without the speed walking trick, and managed to gather pretty much exactly half the herbs in the same time.

Did a bit of testing, and here is what I got.

The route I looped around was: Tower of Magi > Formello > Fungal Clearing > Formello > Tower of Magi > Fort Dranlon > Moldy Cave > Moldy Cavern > Fort Dranlon > Tower of Magi > …

I did not use backtostart, since if you resort to that, you might as well just spam iampoor (or iwanttobestronger). However, I did employ a neat trick I would dub as ‘speed walking’, i.e. moving around with the wait button held down at all times. This makes the game time pass super-fast, without hindering your actual movement speed. Of course, speed walking also makes outdoor encounters really frequent, so if your party is not of high enough level to skip them all, you should expect some slow-down.

After half an hour of hectic clicking, I ended up with a decent haul of 59 Healing, 48 Spiritual and 46 Energetic Herbs, in addition to 38 pieces of Graymold and 38 Mandrake Roots. These could be turned into ~7 levels worth of Wisdom Crystals, or sold for a total of 6153 gold (with 4 Negotiator traits). For comparison purposes, I did another run without the speed walking trick, and managed to gather pretty much exactly half the herbs in the same time.

Nice! Even halved, that's still a decent chunk of change. Does doing the whole circuit give the first location time to regenerate by the time you return?

Yes and no. There seems to be quite a bit of randomness in how fast the herb patches recover: 30 seconds of waiting can be enough to make most of the herbs reobtainable, but sometimes you can get only half of them after waiting full 2 minutes (which is about the time it takes to go through the circuit once).

Went back and checked out the Efreet's goods. What's interesting is that in addition to weapons and armor, he also sells a gold nugget, which costs 540 coins and appears to have no purpose whatsoever, besides being able to sell it back for less than you paid for it. As far as I know it's the only one in the game. I suppose it's an expensive trophy item.